Was Dave Allen the best stand up comedian ever

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:58 pm
@Setanta,
True, the old saying. I;ve got Seventy Shanels of **** on my Shevee to Shoose from. I was an avid reader growing up, all the classics, H.G Wells, Twain, etc. But these days i just cant seem to get back into it. But i do love my radio, not music,but news and everyday affairs. I've kids and i dont think they even understand the concept of reading, if it has'ent got a screen it's not worth looking at. They dont realise what their missing. I imagine in a few hundred years, it;ll be referred to as " The ancient art of reading".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:01 pm
I've often wondered about that, but frankly, i doubt it. Literate, truly literate people will always be needed to make the world work properly. If the quality of literacy declines, it will just create a large underclass. Even in the middle ages, the savvy merchant understood the value of literacy, and made sure his children could read.

I do hope, though, that if books become outmoded, that it will happen after i'm gone. Holding the book in your hand, and being able to leaf though it is an important part of the experience, too.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:07 pm
@Setanta,
I agree, my kids read, but not for enjoyment but because they have to, in fact I suppose when I think about it, they read and write a lot, on their computers, in fact i think there's a new language being invented. But like you said there's nothing like turning the page.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm
My eyesight is slowly failing. I can read a book, even in low light, without any strain. Staring at the screen, though, takes its toll.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
Stick to the books my friend and save your eyesight, I sometimes worry for the kids these days, they can sit at a computer for hours and then go watch tv.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:20 pm
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:32 pm
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:42 pm
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:49 pm