how do you say "broken wings" in...

crossword fanatic

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:41 pm
Thanks for the tip in Danish. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of that language so I guess I'll have to stick to English, French and a smattering of Spanish and Italian!!
Cheers
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:50 pm
"Tre øl" - that's what I always will remember :wink:

(Had been with the navy in Aalborg, and was out with two friend.
Sister-in-law's family is, however, kind of fluent: going to Denmark twice a year on holiday.)
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
Dos cervezas por favor. Smile

Should we start a separate beer thread now?
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:44 am
Quote:
cassé vole - en francais

ailes cassées (where did you find this translator, you juste wrote broken fly (the verb)?!?)

same thing for alas rompidas: it's alas rotas.
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
Georgian:

დამსხვრეული ფრთები

If it doesn't show up or you can't read it:

damskhvreuli prtebi
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
Cioccolato, your signature says "I'd like a two shot latte with cream, called a brene" right? Just wondering...
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:16 pm
Oh, it's supposed to be Breve, but it looks like Brene as I used the Nu for my V....and omicrons for my Ws :wink: Writing in English with Greek letters (whether they make the same sound or not) for a pseudo-educated snob effect ; )
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:03 pm
In Old Greek it would be (and I realize this is not really correct, because in the case of words with Latin letters which can't be directly "translated" to Old Greek I use the pronunciation of the word, like του (two), σιοτ (shot) and βρεεφ (breve)) the following: Ι'δ λικε α του σιοτ λαττε …ιθ κρεαμ, καλλεδ α βρεεφ. …ιθ is the translation for with, but there is no real "w" in the Old Greek alphabet and I can't make anything off it with just pronunciation.

I understand this is annoying of me by trying to be such a smartass :wink: , sorry for that but I'm bored.
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
Worry not, I'm a student of Classical Greek Cool

Like I said, I didn't want the letters to "translate" or transliterate, of course not all of them do. So for the ones that don't, I used Greek letters that look like Latin ones in some way/shape/form, but nevertheless don't transliterate whatsoever (ie. into "W" and "Sh"). Once again, for effect...

You're not being a smart arse, it's just that you and I are trying to get frustrating points across :wink:
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:35 pm
croatian - slomljena krila
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:00 pm
You are studying Classical Greek? Nice :wink: I get lessons in it on my highschool - and I'm having the final exams in four weeks, also in Classical Greek -, but to be honest: I think the stories we translate during these lessons are more exciting than studying the language itself (grammar etc). I've always liked stories from ancient Greece (that's where the translations are about). We just finished Troiades - Troian women; poor women, poor Hekabe..."born as a princess, died as a slave". Those Greeks just had such a big imagination, incredible! Very Happy
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:56 pm
Yeah I'm taking it in highschool (sort of, I'm not actually in school) too...the book we're currently using is kind of fun for translating. There are a few mythology snippets in there that are cool to read and translate, but our book is mainly made up of stories that are pretty bland. But it turns out the Grandpa from the family in all of the stories is always going to say something funny.

My class only has two people - me, and a grammar nazi with no sense of humor. Class is intimidating. Rolling Eyes

Our session will be over in two weeks, thankfully...good luck with your exams!!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:33 pm
"A grammar nazi" :wink: I know those persons. My class is also small, only four students (me, two other boys and a girl); the teacher is real funny, she's only I think 28, 29 but she talks to us like she is a good friend and knows our problems as 17, 18-year olds.

It seems that being a teacher of Classical Greek here is a sort of "dangerous" job. The teacher we have now is our fifth teacher: the first two were husband and wife, but they retired; after that we had a young female teacher but she died. They never told us what the cause of death was, but we fear it was suicide. After that we had two lessons of another young female teacher, but she found teaching too hard and quitted. The female teacher we have now uses a lot of medicines to fight a huge depression.

One thing is for sure: I will never become a teacher of Classical Greek.
0 Replies