How do I get this stupid rug to lie flat?

roger

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:06 pm
Alright, I bought a 4' X 5' area rug to put under the table. The chair's casters were wearing out the carpet, and that's mostly where the cats go to deliver their little hairballs.

If I roll away from the table, all is good. When I roll back, the rug creeps forward and forms a huge swell in front of the chair. What to do? Am I going to have to spring for a really large chair mat?

View best answer, chosen by roger
DrewDad

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:43 pm
@roger,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jdLmsu3TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
roger

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:50 pm
@DrewDad,
Cool! Does it look like it's intended to work with a rug laid on top of a carpet?

Wait, I'll see if there are some good Amazon reviews on the product. Thanks loads.
0 Replies

margo

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 12:34 am
or you could just nail it to the floor!
roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:07 am
@margo,
Tried. Concrete slab.

Sad
Eorl

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:08 am
@roger,
Oh I see. Sorry. When I saw the thread, I thought you were Donald Trump.
squinney

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:19 am
@Eorl,
You are BAAAD, Eorl! Laughing

If the rug tape above doesn't work, you know Duct Tape will. It's good for everything.
PUNKEY

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:33 am
Why a 4 x 5?
That's too small. The chairs will constantly hit it.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:55 am
@roger,
What material is the rug made from? You may need to buy an under rug sheet that prevents rugs from moving.

I buy wool rugs and don't have that problem.

We can't convince Dolly and Madison doggies that rugs are not their pooping spots.

BBB

Swimpy

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:04 pm
@roger,
The chair mat is probably the only way to keep this from happening. You're only other alternative is to not roll the chair while you're sitting in it. That may be tricky.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Why a 4 x 5?
That's too small. The chairs will constantly hit it.

But Punkey. . . ! You've got to go with the sizes available, and for me that means K-Mart. A longer rug would be a wider rug, which wouldn't fit between the table legs.

You're probably right Swimpy, but chair mats can be pretty expensive, I don't like them, and cats prefer to puke on real carpet.

Thanks loads, Eorl. S'okay for the Donald. I prefer to let the sun shine through.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:33 pm
@squinney,
I think Dadpad's idea (which looks good) sort of amounts to double sided duct tape. It would have to be double sided tape, anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Bet I can't get no wool rugs for any $17.00, which is what I've got invested in the current solution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:58 pm
@roger,
Which one is the problem? The rug or the chairs?
roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm going to say 'the rug'.

It's just a given that the chair will continue to have casters, and during every fore and aft cycle, it moves towards the rug 50% of the time. If the rug can be nailed down (figuratively speaking), the chair will be fine.
ossobuco

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:05 pm
@roger,
Wait. I think rugs tend to relax.

0 Replies

Neil D

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:12 pm
@roger,
its called carpet tape, anyways, the problem is having one carpet on top of another. Carptet tape wont stick very good to another carpet, and carpet tacks or brads cant be used. Given the situation, aside from a chair mat. You could have gone to Lowes, and gotten a good size carpet remnant. They sell these at half price. Then you could use a carpet knife to cut your own carpet in such a way so that it wont move around like the area rug. Then store the extra carpet for future use. I do it all the time.
roger

Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:34 pm
@Neil D,
I'm afraid you are going to prove correct on the issue of taping a rug to a carpet. Good idea on the remnants so far as sizing goes. I could have held my maximum of 4', and greatly extended the length. On the other hand, the few times I've looked at remnants, they have been priced about the same per sq foot as the uncut rolls. Okay, I guess, but I don't like paying that much for what amounts to otherwise unusable scrap.

Thanks for answering.
cicerone imposter

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:20 pm
@roger,
If that's the case, you can drill a screw hole in the cement with a special cement drill, then tie down the rug with screws with washers to increase the size of the head so's it won't tear through the rug. There are several ways you can comiflage the screw head/washer - with some imagination.
Neil D

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:12 pm
@roger,
Sounds like someone wasnt doing their job. I recently bought a good size remnant at Lowes and they had both the regular price and the discounted price on the sticker and it was half off. Anyways, people wouldnt have any incentive to buy the remnants if they were at full price. Just like you said.

Those chair mats are expensive, I paid almost 30 bux for one at walmart including tax. Sometimes they move around a bit at first too until theyve been used for a while. Also, if the castors come in contact with the edges of the chair mat often, little pieces can break off. So nothing is perfect i guess.

good luck