georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 02:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Believe whatever you wish. Can you predict the future?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 02:11 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I can but I can't vouch for the accuracy of those predictions. Can YOU accurately predict the future?

I seem to recall that we both have something of a middling track record in that regard.

Just to cap off the line of conversation, I'll note that I haven't been able to find an example of a gov't shutdown that turned out well for the opposition party, and you don't seem interested in pursuing that line, so it's safe to assume that you know history isn't on the side of your position.

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

I can but I can't vouch for the accuracy of those predictions.

That's not "predict", that's "speculate". By your definition you can't even "predict" the past. Courtesy of another thread got this cuttingly accurate description of the immediate past - am reposting it here so we don't all end up like Russians in Stalinist days, forever having their past rewritten for them:
Quote:
AMERICANS: “So, the economy is pretty bad and there’s high employment. You think you can do something about that?”
DEMOCRATS AND OBAMA: “We can spend a trillion dollars we don’t have on pork and stuff.”
AMERICANS: “No … that’s not what we want. We’d really like you not to do that.”
DEMOCRATS: “You’re stupid. We’re doing it anyway.”
AMERICANS: “That’s not going to help us get jobs!”
DEMOCRATS: “Sure it will; millions of them … though they may be invisible. You’ll have to trust us they exist. And guess what else we’ll do: We’ll create a giant new government program to take over health care.”
AMERICANS: “That has nothing to do with jobs!”
DEMOCRATS: “We don’t care about that anymore. We really want a giant new health care program. We’re sure you’ll love it.”
AMERICANS: “Don’t pass that bill. You hear me? Absolutely do not pass that bill.”
DEMOCRATS: “Believe me; you’ll love it. It has … well, I don’t know what exactly is in the bill, but we’re sure it’s great.”
AMERICANS: “Listen to me: DO. NOT. PASS. THAT. BILL.”
DEMOCRATS: “You’re not the boss of me! We’re doing it anyway!”
AMERICANS: “Look what you did! Now the economy is way worse, we’re even deeper in debt, and we have a bunch of new laws we don’t want!”
DEMOCRATS: “You’re racist.”
AMERICANS: “Wha … How is that racist?”
DEMOCRATS: “Now you’re getting violent! Stop being violent and racist, you ignorant hillbillies! And remember to vote Democrat in November.”

Edit for proper attribution to poster and thread of above dialogue: http://able2know.org/topic/162902-1#post-4387717
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:43 pm
Yahoo, just Yahoo
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:03 am
"That's not "predict", that's "speculate". By your definition you can't even "predict" the past. Courtesy of another thread got this *** cuttingly accurate *** description of the immediate past - am reposting it here so we don't all end up like Russians in Stalinist days, forever having their past rewritten for them:"

WOW. If you think that diatribe is cuttingly accurate, well, it's hard to formulate a response. What utter bullshit. And the reference to Stalin is priceless.

This kind of 'thinking?' is just pure distraction and has nothing to do with reality. It sure does make one feel smart and all patriotic inside though.
High Seas

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:22 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

WOW. If you think that diatribe is cuttingly accurate,

It's no diatribe, it's a quoted dialogue, duly attributed to original source, with posted link. Learn to read, quote, edit - and get a dictionary.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm
@IRFRANK,
Whether you believe it accurately represents the current reality or not, I believe it is both an accurate representation of the perceptions of many of the political drama of Obama's first 20 months in office (certainly the recent election confirms this), and in my view a largely accurate (if mocking) portrayal of the reality. It turns out that the political acumen, wisdom, and leadership of the untested, but annointed, one is not what his many devoted claques have assumed them to be.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
@georgeob1,
This may well be just another illustration of the political acumen and wisdom of the American voter as so accurately described by The Mirror in the wake of GWB's election as president.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
@High Seas,
"It's no diatribe, it's a quoted dialogue, duly attributed to original source, with posted link. Learn to read, quote, edit - and get a dictionary. "

Your post was the diatribe and I believe you added the reference to Stalin and the cuttingly accurate description.

I have a dictionary, and I stand by my comments. It's still absolute bullshit.

My analysis:

AMERICANS: “So, the economy is pretty bad and there’s high employment. You think you can do something about that?”

TRUTH --- The last administration left the economy in free fall with Wall Street about to collapse. HELP !!!

DEMOCRATS AND OBAMA: “We can spend a trillion dollars we don’t have on pork and stuff.”

TRUTH - The stimulus was 1/3 tax cuts from the GOP and they shared gleefully in the pork.

TRUTH - Most Americans supported the bailout. What other choice was there?

See previous comment.

DEMOCRATS: “Sure it will; millions of them … though they may be invisible. You’ll have to trust us they exist. And guess what else we’ll do: We’ll create a giant new government program to take over health care.”

TRUTH - yes it did help jobs. Ask a few hundred thousand workers who still work for GM or Chrysler.

DEMOCRATS: “We don’t care about that anymore. We really want a giant new health care program. We’re sure you’ll love it.”

TRUTH - Health care was in shambles and most Americans believed it needed reform. It still does. Also, calling it giant is a bit of an exaggeration.

AMERICANS: “Don’t pass that bill. You hear me? Absolutely do not pass that bill.”
DEMOCRATS: “Believe me; you’ll love it. It has … well, I don’t know what exactly is in the bill, but we’re sure it’s great.”

TRUTH - more rhetoric only meant to incite anger. Those words may have come from a few misguided senators, not the American people I know.

AMERICANS: “Look what you did! Now the economy is way worse, we’re even deeper in debt, and we have a bunch of new laws we don’t want!”

TRUTH - Worse than what? If you want debt, look to Reagan's and Bush's military spending. And, why did we have to bail out Wall St.? Didn't that start about October 2008 ? The economy has finally stopped falling. I wonder where we'd be if GW had been in office the last two years?

DEMOCRATS: “Now you’re getting violent! Stop being violent and racist, you ignorant hillbillies! And remember to vote Democrat in November.”

NO COMMENT needed on these last line. Pure drama.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:03 pm
@IRFRANK,
Fuckin' a right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:44 pm
@IRFRANK,
Nah ! Neither funny nor accurate. Merely the same tired old rationalizations. Clearly you need a better and more credulous public.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:52 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

"It's no diatribe, it's a quoted dialogue, duly attributed to original source, with posted link. Learn to read, quote, edit - and get a dictionary. "

Your post was the diatribe and I believe you added the reference to Stalin and the cuttingly accurate description.

I have a dictionary, and I stand by my comments. It's still absolute bullshit.

My analysis:

TRUTH --- The last administration left the economy in free fall with Wall Street about to collapse. HELP !!!

Whether or not this is "truth," it doesn't have relevance, in the context of the article.

TRUTH - The stimulus was 1/3 tax cuts from the GOP and they shared gleefully in the pork.

Once again your alleged "truth" has no relevance to the statement you intend to question. If we assume that the GOP gleefully shared in the pork, how does that change the fact that the Democrats engineered it?

TRUTH - Most Americans supported the bailout. What other choice was there?

Now your comments are not even in sync. The quote you referenced doesn't relate to the bailout, it relates to the stimulus.

See previous comment.

In other words, "You're stupid, see my other comment."

TRUTH - yes it did help jobs. Ask a few hundred thousand workers who still work for GM or Chrysler.

Again you are confusing the bailouts with the stimulus package. The stimulus package was promised to keep unemployment below 8% --- it did not. The bailout of the auto industry saved union jobs. These are, afterall, jobs and not to be completely discounted, but they weren't created and a whole lot of moneyt was spent on "saving" a small fraction of jobs.

TRUTH - Health care was in shambles and most Americans believed it needed reform. It still does. Also, calling it giant is a bit of an exaggeration.

TRUTH - more rhetoric only meant to incite anger. Those words may have come from a few misguided senators, not the American people I know.

And yet the American people whom you, apparently, don't know just voted for the biggest transfer of power in about 80 years.

Pauline Kael, former NY Times critic, once famously decried Richard Nixon's humbling defeat of George McGovern as follows:

"How did Nixon win? I don't know anyone who voted for him!"

TRUTH - Worse than what? If you want debt, look to Reagan's and Bush's military spending. And, why did we have to bail out Wall St.? Didn't that start about October 2008 ? The economy has finally stopped falling. I wonder where we'd be if GW had been in office the last two years?

So, the economy is not "way worse" than it was under either Bush or Reagan?

We're not even deeper in debt than we were at the end of 2008?

NO COMMENT needed on these last line. Pure drama.

It has been a deliberate left-wing tactic to label Obama's opponents racist, ignorant and potentially violent. The examples are numerous. If you prefer not to comment on this tactic, I canunderstand why.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Hold on to that thought ! Laughing Laughing

I just don't understand where your confidence comes from, re: shutting down the government and the supposed popular support of it. You know as well as I do that the media will crucify the Republicans for doing it, and your own 2012 presidential candidates will run from such an action as fast as they can.

Are there examples of forced Gov't shutdowns which have EVER turned out well for the opposition party? Generally you want evidence of a tactic having success in the past before recommending it in the future.

Cycloptichorn

The media will crucify the GOP no matter what they do. This fact should never be a factor in their strategy.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The media will crucify the GOP no matter what they do.

Ahhhhh, poor poor little GOP. (You would think they would get a little after they turned water into wine).
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 01:20 pm
Yeah, right . . . Fox News is so mean to the poor Republicans . . .
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Rep. Boehner agrees with you about the media crucifying the Republicans. That is why he was crying so much.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Here is the media world as conservatives see it:

Liberal:
ABC
NBC
CBS
MSNBC
CNN
NPR
PBS
N.Y. Times
Boston Globe
LA Times
New Republic
The Nation
Slate
Salon
The Guardian
BBC
The New Yorker
Harpers
GQ
Esquire
Rolling Stone
Atlantic Monthly

Conservative:
Fox News
National Review
The Weekly Standard
Washington Times
Wall Street Journal
The Daily Telegraph

Neutral:
C-Span

Here is the media world as liberals see it

Liberal:None

Conservative:
ABC
CBS
NBC
New Republic
Washington Post
CNN
C-Span

Evil:
Fox News
National Review
The Weekly Standard
Washington Times
Wall Street Journal
The Daily Telegraph

Neutral:
NPR
PBS
N.Y. Times
Boston Globe
LA Times
New Republic
The Nation
Slate
Salon
The Guardian
BBC
The New Yorker
Harpers
GQ
Esquire
Rolling Stone
Atlantic Monthly

One of your own (Cyclo) posted

Quote:
You know as well as I do that the media will crucify the Republicans for doing it...

Hey, by and large you liberals own the media. You should be celebrating it and yet you always want to deny it and at the same time exaggerate the influence of Fox.

By and large, conservatives own the military. I'm not going to deny it and I'm sure as hell not going to exagerate the influence of liberals like Sestak, Clarke and Powell.

Fortunately, our military stays well clear of our politics.

Unfortunately, our media does not.

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Hey, by and large you liberals own the media. You should be celebrating it and yet you always want to deny it and at the same time exaggerate the influence of Fox.

Leaving aside the idiocy of the rest of your bullshit contentions in this post, i would point out to you that in the thread about the Haitian earthquake, you were quick to point out that Fox has the largest share of the television news market. Now you want to claim that their influence is exaggerated. But hey, whatever horseshit you can peddle in the name of your political partisanship, right?
Advocate

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Every, or virtually every, radio talk-show host is conservative. That is an enormous, and sad, advantage that the conservatives have.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@Advocate,
Well the liberals started one - with much publicity and fanfare, as well as significant start-up funding. However it bombed. What does that tell you?