Obama´s trip to India - what will it cost?

Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:07 pm
@JTT,
No, JTT, the "whatever" is purely for you. I've played political ping pong with you in the past and there is just no point to it. I'm a pretty big liberal tree worshiping never votes Republican kind of girl, but you just rant on and on in a way that makes me think you never leave your arm chair. If you admire the Taliban so much go visit them on their home turf and don't forget your olive branch, when they cut off your arm it will make a nice decorative touch.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:19 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Yes, it was sarcasm.
But based on facts.
There were many people on here after 9/11 that charged that Bush was out of communication when he was on AF-1, and when he was at his ranch.

Yes, I know. It's always "many people" with you, isn't it? Never any identifiable people, just a lot of them. But if there were so many, I'm sure you'll have no trouble naming three -- and providing links to the posts where they made those claims.
JTT

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Your last few postings certainly could be considered games, GW, on that much we agree.

What in heaven's name does your politics have to do with the fact that you keep making excuses for war crimes/terrorism? These things didn't stop because Democrat administrations came in. The war crimes and the terrorism continued pretty much unabated, often even escalated.

Actually, there is a huge point to it. Remember those Iraqis and Afghans I mentioned. You can add to your list, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, Cubans, Koreans, Vietnamese, Laotians, Cambodians, Chileans, Angolans, ... .

Quote:
If you admire the Taliban so much go visit them on their home turf and don't forget your olive branch, when they cut off your arm it will make a nice decorative touch.

That's a really tired, worn out cliche, GW. It's even sillier because I never expressed admiration for the Taliban.

Really, what is it that would prevent a "pretty big liberal tree worshiping never votes Republican kind of girl" from wanting to review the facts? That doesn't sound all that liberal to me.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:36 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Really, what is it that would prevent a "pretty big liberal tree worshiping never votes Republican kind of girl" from wanting to review the facts? That doesn't sound all that liberal to me.

You're about as factual as The Tea Party, that's why I have no interest in your facts.
JTT

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:37 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
You're about as factual as The Tea Party, that's why I have no interest in your facts.

I've showed you mine so now it's your turn to show me yours, GW.

I've also debunked yours, so now it's your turn.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:40 pm
@JTT,
You've shown me nothing but the rantings of a political nutjob desperate for attention. Good-bye, JTT.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
I am finding those posts now, because I knew it would be challenged by you and others.
After I find 3 for you, will you be man enough to admit I was right and they were wrong?
JTT

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:52 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
You've shown me nothing but the rantings of a political nutjob desperate for attention. Good-bye, JTT.

There go the final shreds of your flimsy suggestions that you are a person who cares about the innocents done in and done to by various and sundry US war crimes/terrorist actions.

You are now free to join the "I deny that the USA is a terrorist nation" club. You can get your membership from Cycloptichorn or Ticomaya.

Don't worry about what you've said to date. You can just deny it. You actually seem to have this denial thing pretty much down pat so it won't require too big a leap for you.

mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:58 pm
@JTT,
And according to you the US has done nothing good for the world.
You seem to think that all of the worlds problems, back to the dawn of time, are the fault of the US.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
@mysteryman,
Oh, come on MM, you know JTT is: THE ONLY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE GALAXY WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH! I don't know how he manages to survive all alone in his little self-righteous cocoon.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:53 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
And according to you the US has done nothing good for the world.
You seem to think that all of the worlds problems, back to the dawn of time, are the fault of the US.

Actually, I asked, no, I begged for someone to tell of something good. I specifically said that there had to something, somewhere, at some time. But there wasn't a peep, MM.

But let's just concentrate on the war crimes, the numerous instances of mass murder, the theft of many poor countries resources, the rapes, the napalming of villages, the saturation bombings specifically pointed at civilians, the innumerable instances of torture, the use of chemical weapons and other WMDs, all the things that you and your new partner, Green Witch are trying to defend.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I am finding those posts now, because I knew it would be challenged by you and others.
After I find 3 for you, will you be man enough to admit I was right and they were wrong?

I eagerly await the results of your search. Of course, the search to substantiate your claim should have come before you made the claim rather than afterward. Nevertheless, I hope it marks the start of a trend rather than an isolated event.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:44 pm
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Economics-to-override-politics-during-Obamas-visit-to-India/articleshow/6830431.cms

Quote:
Economics to override politics during Obama's visit to India
Chidanand Rajghatta, TNN,
Oct 28, 2010, 08.28pm IST
WASHINGTON: Number of times US officials referred to the economic agenda in a preview on Wednesday of President Obama's upcoming visit to India: 26. Mention of jobs for Americans and promoting US exports: 17 times. References to strategic ties with India: Three times.

Officials who briefed the media on the three-day trip left little doubt that, at least for now, against the backdrop of a bleak domestic political scenario and unsparing electoral compulsions, President Obama would pursue an agenda aimed at furthering US economic interests (and jobs), sidelining the strategic quotient.

There will be no far reaching endorsement of India's push for a permanent UNSC seat, although officials re-asserted the Bush-era mantra that "India's rise and its strength and progress on the global stage is deeply in the strategic interest of the United States."

But furthering that strategic agenda might have to wait pending domestic US compulsions and India's own internal deliberations on handling American overtures. For now, the major focus "will be his message on economics, on increasing exports, supporting jobs back here, including highlighting some commercial deals that we hope to have consummated by that time," US Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs Mike Froman, said.

Officials declined to provide details and figures about the commercial deals, preferring to leave it for a triumphant announcement during the President's visit, but they indicated it would be in the billions, much of it aimed at generating jobs in America. In return, there is also likely to be an announcement regarding New Delhi's demand for lifting of embargo on hi-tech exports to India, which will also help the US economy.

In fact, Obama will be spending almost two days in India's financial and commercial entrepot Mumbai, against just a full day in New Delhi, as he aggressively pursues the US economic agenda.

"With 1.2 billion people and an economy expected to grow at 8 percent a year for the next several years, we really see India as a potentially very important market for US. exports," Froman said, candidly adding, "that's the reason why the President will be there, focusing, on the first day, on the economic and commercial relationship."

Questions at the White House briefing for the domestic media -- there was a separate one for Indian journalists -- expectedly centered on outsourcing, call centers, and the flight of jobs to India. Froman and other US officials sought to provide some perspective, pointing out that India's own growth also generated jobs in the US and that Indian companies are the second largest fastest growing investors in the US, supporting about 57,000 jobs.

"So it's a fast-growing economic relationship. And it's a two-way street as well," Froman explained.

Beyond the incessant talking up of the American economic agenda, officials rejected the idea that the US-India ties had stalled, and pointed to various engagements, including military exercises, and atmospherics, to maintain that it is on song. The President's visit, they said, affords the opportunity "to lift this relationship up to a new level where India is really a strategic partner for the United States in the region and in the world."

How they hope to accomplish this without a decisive, big-ticket item like the nuclear deal – such as an endorsement for a UNSC permanent seat – was not clear.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:47 pm
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/10/27/press-gaggle-presidents-upcoming-trip-india

Click the link to read the entire transcript.

Quote:
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
October 27, 2010
Press Gaggle on the President's Upcoming Trip to India
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

PRESS GAGGLE
BY PRESS SECRETARY ROBERT GIBBS;
UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS
WILLIAM BURNS;
DEPUTY NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR FOR
INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC AFFAIRS MIKE FROMAN;
AND DEPUTY NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR FOR
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION BEN RHODES

** The audio from this portion of the transcript may be used for broadcast.

1:06 P.M. EDT

MR. GIBBS: Let’s go ahead and get started. Just to remind you, this is -- we're going to walk through the India portion of the upcoming foreign trip. We will do, likely tomorrow, the non-India, non -- sort of G20-APEC stuff tomorrow. And we'll probably do the economic stuff the beginning part of next week, probably on Monday.

Q What time tomorrow?

MR. GIBBS: I do not know the exact time tomorrow, but we'll get that around.

There’s no embargo on this and obviously we are on the record. We are going to hear from three people today: Ben Rhodes, who you know -- the Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications; Mike Froman, the Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs; and Bill Burns, our Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs.

So, with that, let me turn it over to Ben.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:47 pm
@JTT,
You really are delusional.

By the way, I'm honored to be in a group with Cyclo & Tico - two people who probably would never find themselves lumped together except by you. So which one of them is bringing the juice and cookies this week? I hope it's not my turn.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:53 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch,
Dont waste your time arguing with or trying to point out facts to JTT.
His mind is made up and he doesnt want to be confused by the facts.
According to him, everyone that disagrees with him is an apologist for all of the ills he thinks the US has done.

Like I said earlier, every bad thing that has happened in the world since the beginning of time is the fault of the US, according to JTT.

I am another one that he calls an apologist, because I dont put up with his crap.
He talks about Iraq, forgetting that I was there. According to him, that makes me a war criminal.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 08:02 pm
@mysteryman,
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
-- Homer Simpson (or JTT)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:47 am
?First Year Foreign Travel By U.S. Presidents
# of foreign trips # of nations visited
Barack Obama (so far) 7 16
George W. Bush 5 11
Bill Clinton 2 3
George H.W. Bush 7 14
Ronald Reagan 4 2
Jimmy Carter 2 3
Gerald Ford 3 5
Richard Nixon 3 13
Lyndon Johnson 1 1
John F. Kennedy 4 6
Dwight Eisenhower 3 3
Harry Truman 2 3
Franklin Roosevelt 2 2
Herbert Hoover 0 0
Calvin Coolidge 0 0
Warren Harding 0 0
Woodrow Wilson 0 0
William Howard Taft 1 1
Theodore Roosevelt 0 0
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:53 am
Why are you so obsessed with this Saab? It's not coming out of your pocket . . . or are you just pissed because he hasn't been to Sweden?
saab

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:27 am
@Setanta,
I think somebody pointed out that Obama has not done more travelling than other American presidents, and it looks like he has.
I am not obsessed with it.... and I am glad he has not yet been to Sweden when I saw what it did cost to have him in Oslo and Copenhagen and it did not bring anything worth while. At least he got a Nobel prize in Oslo, but the summit in Copenhagen where a lot of politicians came in their own air planes certainly did not bring anything worth while at all - except a lot of pollution.
I am tired of all politicians travelling around mostly to get on the front page of newspapers. It is the same for many in Europe, especially within EU. They travel on Ryan Air, get paid for 1st class, don´t have to prove that they flew 1st class.
Of course politicians sometimes should go abroad, but a lot can be done by TV conferances and by using diplomates in that country.
Serious political discussions can not be done just for a couple of hours over a dinner - there is so much more to it especially when there are conflicts between two countries.