Halloween warning-dogs embarassed about dressing up

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:22 am
Sonya Fitzpatrick, of The Pet Psychic fame and host of Animal Intuition on Sirius XM, says dogs feel humiliation.

"They feel everything. And they know when people laugh at them," said Fitzpatrick, who lives in The Woodlands.

"I talk to thousands of animals, and even if people laugh at them if they have been cut too short, it really hurts their feelings," she said. She has seven dogs and uses only bandannas for their accessories.

The conflict lies where the owner might think it's cute and adorable, and then they take the pet out in public. They (pets) know they are loved by their owner, and then the owner is allowing people to look at them and have a good laugh. It sends conflicting messages to the pet. So the pet is not really happy with that.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/7256270.html

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:47 am
@Linkat,
This conartist might have an accidental point here. Dog's have a keen sense of smell and they might be able to read our emotions through our hormone changes.

Then again it could be that most dogs are uncomfortable with wearing a second pair of clothing considering they always wear their first pair of clothing that being their full body of hair or fur.

As for talking to the dogs themselves? Yeah right.... Rolling Eyes
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm not calling you Linkat a conartist... but the so called pet pyschic who claims to be able to have full blown conversations with dogs (and probably cats and hamsters and goldfish).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I talk to my dog all the time.....

although I'd be worried if he talked back to me.
George

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:51 am
I guess Timmy is doomed to die in that well.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I once dressed my cats up with reindeer antlers and a santa hat. They were pissed - they started to try to take them off and I yelled at them. I took a wonderful Christmas photo on them in their outfits. Best Christmas picture every - the look of pissed anger on their faces completely told how they were feeling - I didn't need to talk to them.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:21 am
@Linkat,
When I worked at the kennel as well as take care of my best friends dog, LaNeige, I always talked at dogs (rather then talked with these dogs).

I would like to think the dogs understood if not the actual words and phrases but the sentiments and feelings behind the babble... that I was talking to the dogs and perhaps talking with them as well but I have my doubts.

If they do understand more then they let on then most of us would be in deep trouble as we would be setting ourselves up for later blackmailing opportunities when these dogs learn to use this newly gained information (secrets and and embarrassingly deep thoughts such) to their respective advantage.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:44 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I once dressed my cats up with reindeer antlers and a santa hat. They were pissed - they started to try to take them off and I yelled at them. I took a wonderful Christmas photo on them in their outfits.

This is the most wonderful post you have ever made.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:50 am
@George,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Wqo9IVCWV5E/SN43Gds3GDI/AAAAAAAABF0/f2lDmB82j60/s320/Bz+Lassie+Tim+11-12-04WB.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-144288-galleryV9-qdeb.jpg
Quote:
Sissy the Norfolk Terrier dressed as a Tiffanys Box during the 20th Annual Halloween Dog Parade in New York City on Saturday. Sissy's owner considerately swapped Audrey Hepburn's croissants for eggs and bacon which would be more to the dog's taste. Other highlights of the parade included a chihuahua dressed as Obama, a canine version of E.T and a dog re-enacting the spaghetti scene from "Lady and the Tramp."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,725202,00.html#ref=nlint
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:24 pm
@chai2,
Thank you very much! I was very proud of that Christmas picture. It brings back warm memories - especially as one of those kitties is now dearly departed.

The picture really shows her personality.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:25 pm
@chai2,
I will have to find that picture and scan it so I can share with you all - I will send a vitual Christmas card to A2k with it.
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:44 pm
@Linkat,
It's so great when they look pissed off. like....."i hate you, i hate you so much..."
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
@chai2,
Its bad enough that these clowns try to decorate their houses with crap that screams WalMart, now they gotta **** with the poor dogs mind too.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@farmerman,
When the robots and dogs and cats combine their respective revolutions together and overthrow the human race, we will look back at our crimes and flinch with despair.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@farmerman,
Gotta agree with ya there, fm.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Years ago, on a2k, I thought I'd go with a small green bow for Pacco. But I didn't know how to add that. Onyx kindly assisted, with a big green bow. I suppose for him, with his dignity, a big green one was better. But the whole thing deepened my discomfit re dressing up dogs. (This is a running semi disagreement with Tsar and me, me being iffy even with William Wegman and Man Ray. I viscerally love Wegman's photos but also make steps back. It's a push pull for me. Cute tends to just annoy me, your pets are not toys, hiss - but some of the wegman photos of the weimaraners are really beautiful, as when Man Ray was an older dog and Wegman clothed him in rich robing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:49 pm
@farmerman,
This is a reply to FM and EB, for the dubious proposition that the others in this thread may benefit from it.

Dogs and cats should be your friends and companions--not animated dolls that you dress up (thereby needlessly tormenting them) to give yourself some jollies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:20 pm
@Linkat,
You can look at their sad faces, their moist eyes and humiliated expressions, and know how they feel about being dressed up on Halloween. I foresee new Hate Crime legislation.
0 Replies