Muslim Garb

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:31 pm
After the recent statements by Juan Williams on Fox, everyone got spun up about his termination at NPR, but little discussion has been made about his statement about getting nervous when seeing people in Muslim garb in the airport.

It's more than just a statement of his own opinion, it was the very ignorant perpetuation that other's appearance is a legitimate reason to be fearful or anxious. It promoted the idea that Muslims are of one mold.

Does Williams get nervous when he sees Muslims in the airport who aren't in "Muslim garb?" Perhaps. That, or more likely, he see lots of Muslims in the airport and is no wiser.

From this whole nontraversy a pretty cool blog sprung up. I think it's very humanizing and important to click through.

http://muslimswearingthings.tumblr.com/

It's hard to pick the best one to defy the stereotypes. They are all pretty good.
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laphqkhwvM1qet98po1_400.jpg

A
R
T
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,785 • Replies: 54

Miller

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:41 pm
Quote:
the very ignorant perpetuation that other's appearance is a legitimate reason to be fearful

So, are you saying when southern blacks saw the KKK approaching their homes, late at night in years past, wearing their white sheets and hoods , the black folks were fearful because they were ignornant ?

I'm not black, but if I saw a hooded person in a white sheet standing outside my home late at night, I'd be afraid and I'd call 911. What would you do? Invite them in for a cold beer?
failures art

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@Miller,
You waste no time going to the one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. You're going to compare the KKK to Muslims in cultural clothing?

KKK people aren't bonded over their love of white sheets. They are bonded by their hatred of non-whites. I assure you my thoughts on the KKK aren't about their appearance.

All KKK people hate other races. 19 out out several 1.57 billion Muslims fly planes into buildings.

You'd maybe have a fair argument if their was an Al Queda or Taliban specific
garb that distinguished them from other Muslims. Certainly the KKK's white sheets distinguish them from other Christians.

A
R
T
tenderfoot

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:41 pm
When I see a priest wearing their dresses in church --- sends shivers up my spine.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:14 pm
@tenderfoot,
Nuns and clowns in their respective religious garbs have the same effect on me.
revelette

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:24 am
@failures art,
Rationally, you are right. However if we are being honest; given the scare tactics and all we as a nation have been hearing about sleeper cells and plots from Muslim terrorist, most people just automatically get nervous when they see a Muslim or an Arabic looking person out in public. It don't help matters with all the shows on TV both cable and network about Muslims plotting to blow people up in the US. Law and Order is really bad about it.

The thing is to get past our fears and we need real leadership to do it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:30 am
i think that folks who are fearful do themselves a great disservice by being so, but i don't see the big deal of someone saying that if they get on a plane they are worried by someone who is dressed in "muslim garb", really, what's the big deal, small minded it might be, but endless debate, really
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:30 am
There is not necessarily any typical "Muslim garb." The Copts (Christians) of Egypt dress just as do the Fatamid and Sunni Muslims with whom they live. Muslims, Christians and Animists in the Sudan all dress in the same way. Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Parsees in the subcontinent dress just as do the Muslims of Kashmir, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation on earth, and the people there don't dress as Muslims do in the rest of the world.

There is no such thing as "Muslim garb."
engineer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:40 am
@Setanta,
Add to that the fact that the people who perpetuated 911 weren't wearing "Muslim garb", nor were the Kenyan bombers. Anyone know of a terrorist act where the terrorists wore their Sunday best (or is that Friday best)?
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:42 am
@engineer,
In fact, i posted a capture from the surveillance video in which Mohammed Atta is shown after clearing security as he is about to board the aircraft he flew into one of the towers. He is wearing no beard, and he is wearing a good quality of western casual clothing. I'll go find it again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:43 am
Mohammed Atta is the man in the blue shirt on the right-hand side of the image.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/02/09/images/Atta_gate.jpg
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:48 am
i'd still rather know who the idiots are who think this way, let them have their say

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:52 am
This is hilarious, i've got an ad for Muslim singles at the bottom of the page. There's four young women, two of whose faces are visible, while the other two a wearing niqabs.

Ain't capitalism a wunnerful thing?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:53 am
@Setanta,
I bet Mohammed Atta was wearing definitely recognizably Mohammad approved and blessed Muslim garb socks and underwear!

All made halal and pork free!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:11 am
@revelette,
I'm not sure if it's that complicated... we can just get past it, ourselves, one person at a time.

There are a lot of Somali Muslims in Columbus. I'm generally a friendly midwesterner so I wouldn't say I make a point of smiling at them etc., I just definitely have an extra element of "I know they get **** and I won't contribute to that."

Example of getting **** that REALLY pissed me off (I was busy at the time and didn't do anything about it, maybe I still should, 'cause it still bothers me): The Columbus Dispatch had an article about a possible terrorist cell or whatever here in Columbus. There was an illustration for the article, of a woman in a hijab (looked Somali). I read the whole article and caption etc. for why this particular woman was chosen to illustrate the article. Was she the sister of one of the guys, going to see him or something? Nope. Just a random woman wearing a hijab.

I mean, how do you think she feels about that... she's just minding her business, walking down the street, and some photographer snaps her picture, and all the sudden she's in the paper illustrating an article about terrorists???

Argh. Yeah, I think I still need to do something about that one.
revelette

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:17 am
@sozobe,
Your probably right that we don't need leadership, but the movies and articles ect. don't exactly help things.

Quote:
I mean, how do you think she feels about that... she's just minding her business, walking down the street, and some photographer snaps her picture, and all the sudden she's in the paper illustrating an article about terrorists???

That is pretty disgusting.
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:04 am
@revelette,
Turns out that the fact I was very busy when I read that article might be the most salient point.

I tried to find it back and while I don't remember for sure, this might be it:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/06/city-part-of-terror-pipeline.html

In that case it actually is a specific person who is the focus of the article, and therefore appropriate.

I don't remember reading about a woman in the article, though. Perhaps I saw another article about other people, and they used the same picture of her without explaining why?

Anyway, that photo fits my vague memory, and the timing seems about right, so I'll take back that accusation until I find something more definite.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:17 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Rationally, you are right.

There is no right and rationally right. Why make a distinction? There need be no "but" to grant excuses for being irrationally right (a contradiction) about the fear of Muslims in any clothing.

revelette wrote:

However if we are being honest; given the scare tactics and all we as a nation have been hearing about sleeper cells and plots from Muslim terrorist, most people just automatically get nervous when they see a Muslim or an Arabic looking person out in public. It don't help matters with all the shows on TV both cable and network about Muslims plotting to blow people up in the US. Law and Order is really bad about it.

The thing is to get past our fears and we need real leadership to do it.

I agree. However, I'm not very sympathetic to the idea that media gives us an excuse to subscribe to irrational fears. I digest a great deal of pop media, and have no Muslim anxiety.

A digression: I disagree about Law & Order though. I think when they have approached these stories more often than not, the narrative has been one where irrational fears of Muslims is challenged.

E.g. - The victim is a Muslim man killed by a suspicious neighbor.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 04:49 pm
@failures art,
You missed the point, but I don't care.
0 Replies

Gypsydancer

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@Miller,
I don't feel in the least fearful when I see Muslims in their traditional dress whether in airports or elsewhere. Fear and hate are so entwined in the good old USA right now that it scares me more than any Muslim ever could. What does make me fearful is the fact that so many are struck dumb with terror when confronted with what Americans (and others, of course) perceive as the enemy whether they be peaceful law abiding folk or not. Frankly, I have no idea how to spot a terrorist, but if I WAS a terrorist (or someone dressing in a fashion that provokes some people's fear factor ) I wouldn't be so stupid as to advertise it. Appearance only scares me if there is a weapon aimed at me. At that point I don't care what you look or dress like, I just want OUTTA THERE!!!