How hungry would you have to be to pee in a cup.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
maxdancona wrote:
The real question is what kind of employer I want to work for. Peeing in a cup is not such a big deal, I suppose, but working for a company that makes their employees pee in cups is. I want to work for someone who respects and values their employees.
ehBeth wrote:
perhaps you could look at the request to pee in a cup as an indication of their degree of respect
for their existing employees
In some cases (e.g., interstate truck drivers)
that is required by federal law; has nothing to do with respect.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:57 pm
Quote:
LAWRENCEBURG, Tenn. — The news, delivered in a phone call, left Sue Bates aghast: she was losing her job of 22 years after testing positive for a legally prescribed drug.

Her employer, Dura Automotive Systems, had changed the policy at its sprawling plant here to test for certain prescription drugs as well as illicit ones. The medication that Mrs. Bates was taking for back pain — hydrocodone, a narcotic prescribed by her doctor — was among many that the company, which makes car parts, had suddenly deemed unsafe.

“I don’t think it should end the way it did,” said Mrs. Bates, an assembly line worker who has sued Dura for discrimination and invasion of privacy. “You tell somebody you lost your job because you’re on prescription medication and they’re like, ‘Yeah, right.’
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/us/25drugs.html?src=me&ref=us

This is where you end up when you allow employers to search your blood. SCOTUS fucked up 20 years ago, but strangely there has been till now little concern about this mistake, this violation of the Constitution. Americans are sheep.
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
prescription drugs are the new coke unfortunately, there should be safe guards in place but lots of folks doctor shop and support habits
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:06 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
prescription drugs are the new coke unfortunately, there should be safe guards in place but lots of folks doctor shop and support habits
so if you insist on allowing drug testing fix the medical profession so that we can once again trust doctors to do the right thing when writting scripts.

Your defense of the punishing individuals who have a legal drug in their system on the assumption that doctors can not be trusted is a damning indictment of the medical profession.
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
i agree,

by safeguards i meant, people who are using a painkiller legitimately should be protected, folks who are just getting high should either get a chance to get help or get out
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
@djjd62,
Didn't New Coke fail because people preferred Classic Coke?
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:14 pm
@maxdancona,
i've always preferred pepsi
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:22 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
by safeguards i meant, people who are using a painkiller legitimately should be protected, folks who are just getting high should either get a chance to get help or get out
And who gets to decide if the medicine that I have in my body is there "legitimately"? My employer?
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
i wish i knew
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
LAWRENCEBURG, Tenn. — The news, delivered in a phone call, left Sue Bates aghast: she was losing her job of 22 years after testing positive for a legally prescribed drug.

Her employer, Dura Automotive Systems, had changed the policy at its sprawling plant here to test for certain prescription drugs as well as illicit ones. The medication that Mrs. Bates was taking for back pain — hydrocodone, a narcotic prescribed by her doctor — was among many that the company, which makes car parts, had suddenly deemed unsafe.

“I don’t think it should end the way it did,” said Mrs. Bates, an assembly line worker who has sued Dura for discrimination and invasion of privacy. “You tell somebody you lost your job because you’re on prescription medication and they’re like, ‘Yeah, right.’
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/us/25drugs.html?src=me&ref=us
hawkeye10 wrote:
This is where you end up when you allow employers to search your blood. SCOTUS fucked up 20 years ago, but strangely there has been till now little concern about this mistake, this violation of the Constitution. Americans are sheep.
Based upon these allegations, I predict that Ms. Bates will win
on her disability-based anti-discrimination cause of action; (defendant will probably settle out).

David
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Based upon these allegations, I predict that Ms. Bates will win
on her disability-based anti-discrimination cause of action; (defendant will probably settle out).

How can we have a employer decide that a person is too disabled to work due to required meds and end up with that person not collecting disability pay? If the government is unwilling to pay disability they should be supporting this individuals claims that the dismissal was unjustified.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 04:47 pm
@msolga,
Many years ago, I was driving down this street -
http://www.losangelesrealestatevoice.com/SantaMonica/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/La-Mesa-Trees-Edited-300x225.jpg
with my boyfriend, later to be husband, in my vw van, which I had to carry 4 x 5 foot paintings. We were coming back from what had been my parents' house, which I was fixing up to rent (to pay for my mother's nursing care). That was in an upper middle part of town, no matter that they'd money struggled there for years. I lived in venice, had a gallery, surely a hippie. John had sort of an irish afro, and I don't remember re me that day, sort of middle arty. Cop car stops me to search, me with the funny van on a nice street. Sigh, it had sparkles. Earl Sheib. (Was it a patrol car or security, I think SM city patrol, but that's a long time ago). Miss, there has been a burglary, we need to search your van. Uh, ok. And it was, my van was very boring.

My boyfriend was mr. calm. He was raised in south LA, home of many urban troubles. I had been showing him the allee of beautiful trees...
I took this even then as "suspicious car drives down street".
What I don't know, not following these matters that much, is about whether that was ok for them to search in the first place, police or security.
I took this as a class thing, and probably still do.

Years later, sort of a circle, I had a wonderful warm interesting client on that street. Every time I went there, I sort of chuckled.

0 Replies