dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
wrong, it is wrong for a teacher to scold a child for being left-handed simply because it's wrong to scold a child for being left-handed regardless of the cause. you reasoning is faulty here.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:40 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

wrong, it is wrong for a teacher to scold a child for being left-handed simply because it's wrong to scold a child for being left-handed regardless of the cause. you reasoning is faulty here.
Laughing Additional reasons that it may be wrong in no way take away from the genetic angle. Give it up already. Your bold claim was BS... and I think you already know it. My proud to be born gay friend is NOT homophobic. Wink

If it’s any consolation to you; he knew he was born gay long before "science" chipped in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:41 pm
@dyslexia,
It's wrong to scold a child for being left-handed.

If the scolder says that they're scolding because it's a choice the child made, a reasonable response can include BOTH a) it's wrong for you to scold that child for being left-handed and b) and it's not a choice, anyway.

Saying so isn't sinistrophobic.
Eva

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:44 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
...sinistrophobic....

<reaches for dictionary>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:46 pm
Sinister means left, dexter means right.
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The word you wanted was "breaks."

I was only quoting. Obviously, Jefferson wasn't the most brilliant of spellers.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@Setanta,
so, Poindexter means...???
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:49 pm
I knew that, Set, but I'd never seen that word before. I'm only partially convinced it's a real word. Remind me never to play Scrabble with Soz. Laughing
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:49 pm
Right fist . . . or right hand . . . poing is French for fist . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:50 pm
@Eva,
I heard she cheats . . .
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 07:03 pm
@Setanta,
I had to look it up too... I remembered the word existed and that "sinister" was in it but I couldn't put the whole thing together.

Which by the way gave me renewed hope about the neutrality thing. (Looking up that word.) It really did used to be a big deal for people to be left-handed. And now we have a president who is no stranger to gratuitous slurs and insinuations yet I don't remember seeing a thing about "gasp, he's left-handed! that proves he's evil!"

People are born with a predisposition to being left-handed or right-handed. Sure, you can force a left-handed person to write with their right hand, but, WHY?

We're probably at least 25 years out (50? 500?) but hopefully that's how things will pan out with the whole homosexuality thing too.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 07:57 pm
@sozobe,
Superstition reigns free.

Soon we'll be off on all lefthanders being smarter.

Which may be true, looking back.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 02:51 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

from what I read, fags aren't all bad because they're born "that way" what a crock, homosexuals are simply what they are regardless of cause. anyone who defends "homosexuality" as "genetic" is homophobic.

We're nearing 2012 - Dys and I agree again.

Although I think the term "homophobic" is entirely inaccurate, I get what you mean.

The genetic argument, tacitly accepts the argument that same gender sex is somehow bad for those who have a choice.

Your point, although I don't know if you know it, liberates the argument around homosexuality.

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:16 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

from what I read, fags aren't all bad because they're born "that way" what a crock, homosexuals are simply what they are regardless of cause. anyone who defends "homosexuality" as "genetic" is homophobic.
Is it just me or are your statemen just very selfcontradicting? "because they'r born "that way"" vs ""genetic"".

I don't quite understand.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
@HexHammer,
you're right hammer, you don't understand.
Ionus

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 07:28 pm
Reading this thread it has surprised me how people think all this is new. Coming from a Victorian historical background where homosexuality was just as common as today but it was underground, people think we are enjoying a new idea. Many societies have tolerated homosexuals in the past, but Victorian morals dictated family and "Christian" sexuality. Before then, there was a Europe wide pandemic of homosexuality in the age of lace and whigs. The same period also gave us Sade and Casanova. They were all mad root rats but things calmed down and the pendulum swung against them into Victorian times.

The ancient Jews were against homosexuality because men might visit the male prostitutes at the Caanite temples and convert to the Caananite religion. They also were against it because it might rob a family of aggression in a time when having lots of sons was seen as a blessing. You couldnt push around someone who had a lot of aggressive males in their family. Families grew if they had heterosexual males. But homosexuality was never outlawed. Most of Christianity comes from the writings of Paul who was most probably homosexual...we have very little that can be attributed to Jesus himself. Christianity never outlawed homosexuality, it was a homosexual Roman Emperor who outlawed it and a Victorian attitude that has left the last imprint on our society.

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:11 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

you're right hammer, you don't understand.
You see, I don't undrestand ..because I don't understand your usual babble.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:16 pm
you must be at least this tall to ride this ride...
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:17 am
@Rockhead,
And what a long, strange trip it's been . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:01 pm
The gay community, from the perspective of a straight person, is really two communities. The overt, outed gays, and the covert, closeted gays. The only thing I have to say is that the covert, closeted gay is leading a life of deceit towards all straight acquaintances, friends, etc. So, if one who is straight, does not mind being lied to in a friendship/acquaintanceship, then I cannot see anything wrong with gays. If one values honesty though, then covert, closeted gays are just too dishonest to deserve one's time, in my opinion.