revelette

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Barbara Walters, at least attempted (with great failure) to be a journalist.

You had me until this totally untrue statement.

Barbara Walters

Quote:
Barbara Walters has arguably interviewed more statesmen and stars than any other journalist in history. Ms. Walters' interviews on “20/20” and on “The Barbara Walters Specials” read like a "Who's Who" of newsmakers, including her interviews with every American President and First Lady since Richard Nixon.

In 1977, she made journalism history by arranging the first joint interview with Egypt's President Anwar Sadat and Israel's Prime Minister Menachem Begin. Ms. Walters has interviewed such world leaders as Russia's Boris Yeltsin, Cuba’s President Fidel Castro, China's Premier Jiang Zemin, Great Britain's former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, Libya's Moammar Quadaffi and Iraq's President Sadaam Hussein.

“The Barbara Walters Specials” are continuously the top-rated specials of the year and have included such legends as Sir Laurence Olivier, Bing Crosby, John Wayne, Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Tom Cruise, Barbra Streisand, Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks. Ms. Walters' “The Ten Most Fascinating People” special broadcast, launched in 1993, offers a year-end review of the most prominent newsmakers of the year.

Ms. Walters' is also co-owner, co-executive producer and co-host of “The View,” the original forum where real women discuss relevant, everyday issues. Ms. Walters also serves as co-executive producer for Buena Vista Television's syndicated talk show “Iyanla.” Ms. Walters joined ABC News in 1976 as the first woman to co-host the network news. In 1984, she joined Hugh Downs as co-host of the ABC newsmagazine, “20/20.” In September 1999, Ms. Walters became the sole anchor of “20/20,” currently in its 23rd season on the network. Prior to joining ABC, she appeared on NBC's “Today Show” for 15 years. She began as a writer on the “Today Show,” and, within a year, she became a reporter-at-large, developing, writing and editing her own reports and interviews.

Over the years, Ms. Walters has received national recognition for her work and has been the recipient of numerous prestigious honors and awards, including induction into the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame in 1990, The Lowell Thomas Award for a career in journalism excellence in 1990, The Overseas Press Club's highest award, The President's Award, in 1988, The Lifetime Achievement Award, International Women's Media Foundation, in 1991, The Muse Award from NY Women in Film and Television in 1997 and The Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in 2000.[/[/b]quote]

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
@wandeljw,
They did after Barbara condemned their actions.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 09:41 am
@Brandon9000,
Did anyone see how Barbara Walters handled it afterwards? Shows how a true reporter/host should handle things. I really liked her comment toward O'Reilly afterwards.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 09:41 am
Why all the liberal self hate?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:02 am
Babwa Wawa is hiwawious
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:41 pm
@revelette,
Well at least I almost had you.

So what do admire more, her ability to get movie stars to cry, or her flirting with world leaders?
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Geese, I agree with Finn.

But BW is not that much different than any other major media suckup. They all just repeat the government propaganda that is fed to them. How else could you have a nation of 300 some million, most of whom sit silent while their governments torture, murder and rape innocents the world over?

Really, how could that happen without an effective propaganda mill and a complacent, supporting news media.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The fact that she has received a lifetime achievement award and other credits and awards for her career as a journalist speaks for itself in terms of her being a failure as a journalist.
JTT

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 03:40 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
The fact that she has received a lifetime achievement award and other credits and awards for her career as a journalist speaks for itself in terms of her being a failure as a journalist.

The American news media stoking each other egos. What was her award for, clamming up to protect war criminals/mass murderers/felons?

Where was Walters, and the rest of the US media when Reagan and his gang was committing felonies left and right, when Reagan and his bandits were raping, torturing and murdering innocent men women and children in Nicaragua?

Where were these "watchdogs" while that scum was breaking all manner of international law?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
O'Reilly is an Opinion-Entertainer, although he's several notches above the clowns on The View in terms of seriousness.

How anyone can watch their utterly predictible and vacuous show is beyond me. Barbara Walters, at least attempted (with great failure) to be a journalist.

O'Reilly is also a relentless self-promoter, hawking all manner of things with his name on them, and with little talent besides the ability to shoot his mouth off and spout his opinions.

The current women on The View, with the possible exception of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, have all had, and continue to have, very successful careers in venues beyond The View--they are all very accomplished working women in their own right--and they do represent a diversity of backgrounds and different generational viewpoints. Walters has hardly been a "failure" in any sense--she was a trailblazer for women in broadcast TV news and she has had a long and extremely successful career in various aspects of that medium.

Whether one likes The View or not, it still occupies a rather distinctive niche in daytime programming. After 13 years on the air, it is still very close to its original premise--a chatty coffee klatch of fairly bright accomplished women, meant to provide some interesting conversation for female viewers who happen to be at home, and generally centering on topics of interest to women or issues they could identify with. It went beyond the usual interview/talk show format of an Oprah, and beyond the homemaking issues of a Martha Stewart, and offered particularly stay-at-home women an interlude of some adult female conversation on a wide range of topics, along with some interesting guest interviews. And, pretty much, it still serves that purpose.

Obviously, this format is not going to appeal to everyone, and it really isn't meant to appeal to everyone. While I personally don't find the show consistently interesting any more, and I find the politically polarized opinions of the co-hosts the least interesting, it is still the sort of show one can keep on the background while one reads the paper, or straightens up the house, or takes care of the children, or whatever, and I don't expect much more from it than that. I don't enjoy manufactured "controversy", and I thought that Behar and Goldberg marching off the set was absurd--co-hosts don't get up and walk off, regardless of what the guest is saying. O'Reilly was being O'Reilly--condescending, arrogant, and extremely opinionated--and he was mainly there to promote his book. They knew what to expect from him, and they should have been better prepared to handle it, since interviewing guests is part of their job on that show. If these two women can't do that, then they should find two new co-hosts. Personally, I think the show needs an infusion of some new blood.

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:26 pm
O'Reilly was being O'Reilly and the ladies that walked of the
set were doing so in a show of support for murderous Muslims.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:30 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Walters has hardly been a "failure" in any sense--she was a trailblazer for women in broadcast TV news and she has had a long and extremely successful career in various aspects of that medium.

That's like saying, he's been a great president save for committing all those felonies and war crimes.

Walters has failed, badly and dramatically, because she, certainly not the only one, failed to do what was required of her for the position she held.
firefly

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 02:06 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Walters has failed, badly and dramatically, because she, certainly not the only one, failed to do what was required of her for the position she held

Lighten up, JTT. We are talking about a daytime TV show.

Walters has always delivered for the networks that employed her. She has gotten sought after interviews that others couldn't, she's put together highly successful and entertaining and informative programs, and she's delivered consistently high ratings. That is her job. You should be half as successful at what you do as she has been pursuing her career. Where is it your business to decide how she should be handling her career?

So, what are you doing about all those felonies and war crimes besides mentioning them in thread after thread, regardless of their relevance to the topic? What real life actions are you taking about those things?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
I'm sure Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar would jump to their
feet and applaud if a guest spouted hatred towards this republic.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25uyFwWPOZg0

Here is a youtube clip of the incident everyone is talking about. See for yourselves what happened. O'Reilly was blaming all Muslims, everyone except Hasselbeck took exception. Listen to her interesting idea that Obama has forbidden us to use the word "terrorists" and her 'idea' that if he just hadn't forbidden us from using the term....well I'm not sure what point it was she was trying to make. But God bless, she got her panties in a righteous bunch trying to make her point.

I don't watch the view, because daytime television is mind numbing, but on the other hand so is most nighttime tv. I would like to have seen Steven Colbert on the view, apparently he never broke character and according to the TV critic in the Washington Post, it annoyed the rest of the cast. Harpo Marx never broke character. Oh well!!!!
talk72000

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:12 pm
@H2O MAN,
Is that your wet dream?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:22 pm
I thought Joe McCarthy died in 1957. Makes you wonder about re-incarnation!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:23 pm

America must never forget that we are fighting Islamic extremists and radical jihadists.
firefly

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Here's a little of the Colbert segment, glitterbag.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
Guess what! We live in a dangerous world, and thank god we have professionals who are fighting extremists and jihadists. I don't think there is such a thing as a conservative or liberal jihadist. However, it is pig ignorant to think that all Muslims hate America or are trying to bring sharia law to this country. Don't forget to attend the "keep fear alive" protest this oct 30th