Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:43 pm
As the title reads Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?
The reason I ask is because I think that we could be useing it to invalidate those who go against our intuition!
If you think that it is the best choice do you think that it would be a scientific choice or one of intuition?
Is this the best way to gain understanding?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 7,355 • Replies: 84

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
There´s lots of places to read Science and Philosophy, no harm done to this forum...so I guess it depends on how you look at it, ignore is a very practical way on saving time...
Intrepid

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Some may use the ignore function for different reasons. I seldom use the ignore function myself, but if and when I do it is because the person to whom the ignore is directed at has nothing of value to add or for me to read. It would be someone who I have determined that I can never learn anything from and the only purpose of the poster would appear to be to cause anger, frustration, stress or humiliation.

It would not be solely that I might disagree with them. I disagree with many people, but find value in what they post because it causes me to question my position and even, in some instances, change it. This is not the case with someone who I would consider putting on ignore.

If someone is put on ignore after careful consideration rather than blind anger, then I do not consider that it would be an ignorant choice.

Obviously, you are not on ignore by me. Smile
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:52 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Is time related to our intuition? Are we sure about who is valid and who is not?
Could our intuition be wrong as it seems to always be with logic?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:03 pm
@Intrepid,
I do find you very wise and it has nothing to do with what you have said about me! It was about what you have said before you brought me into the equation .
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
It really takes a lot for me to put someone on ignore and leave them there. I have to be honest and say it's more for me than it is for them. If I get to the point I really want to let someone have it because of what they say then I need to back off. My main character flaw is I give people chance after chance after chance. I'd probably have more peace if I didn't do that.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Is time related to our intuition? Are we sure about who is valid and who is not?
Could our intuition be wrong as it seems to always be with logic?

Well I certainly am sure on what I want, otherwise how would I want it ?
If I doubt my wanting I am not wanting any more, am I ? At best I am doubting on wanting...
That I do not have a choice against my wanting on something as for instance the ignore function, is to simply say that if I want it then I want it...and in that sense I am sure !
The cause of my wanting is transcendent to my wanting to wanting, as my wanting if by definition being mine, is, must be, oblivious to the cause...(the input) Wink
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Do you find that within logic you can be completly wrong about your intuition? Do you understand simple logic so to speak as with the monty hall problem and if so do you understand it well?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:26 pm
The ignore function was established as a tool whereby users can control their experience more to their own choosing. It also helps limit the need of moderators. Very seldom are we censored on here, because we now have the ability to censor for ourselves what we don't want to see, without keeping others from seeing it if they so choose.

In the long run, if we ignore the trolls they are apt to go away. This is rarely accomplished, of course, because there are those with a compulsion to feed said trolls.

Contrary to what some may think, I don't use ignore to "punish" or seek to embarrass others. I ignore or partially ignore posters with whom I will never get along. I don't ignore simply because someone disagrees with me. If I did that, I might end up alone on here.
Ceili

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:28 pm
I have exactly two people on ignore. I figure, this is an open forum, they have the opportunity to be read by a kazillion poor fools who stumble on the their unfortunate posts, they don't need me for a sounding board.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Maybe I should have started a list of people of who to ignore and the reasons that we should all ignore them?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
You speak for me there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
No.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Maybe I should have started a list of people of who to ignore and the reasons that we should all ignore them?
I think that is a bad idea. People are people. Not everyone likes or dislikes everyone for the same reasons. We all have freedom of choice.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
Would you all think think that I was crazy to not ignore none of you?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
We don't care.
Organize that as you wish, over time.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Would you all think think that I was crazy to not ignore none of you?
Why would I think you were crazy if you didn't ignore anyone? First of all, it is none of my business. Second of all, that'd be pretty shallow of me if I thought that. It doesn't matter to me who ignores or who does not ignore.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
1- Well the monty hall problem is a very good example on how lousy our intuition goes on statistics...

2 - I see no logic in kind of understanding something...either you do or you don´t...if you sort of then you don´t !

3 - Given is only Human to often make assumptions and have opinion, and that by convenience on time not all of it can be checked properly, we literally do thousands of assumptions in our daily life, then I am statistically certain that I often am wrong in assuming my certainty.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

As the title reads Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?
The reason I ask is because I think that we could be useing it to invalidate those who go against our intuition!
If you think that it is the best choice do you think that it would be a scientific choice or one of intuition?
Is this the best way to gain understanding?

Well, it depends on how you use it.

If you use it freely and impulsively then your point may have relevance.

However, I don't need to rub poison ivy on my face too often to realize it has no postive medicinal values.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I read all of your post and instead of useing ignore I just do not respond to those that I think may be foolish but I still read what they have to rant about.

Believe it or not I can sometimes find wisdom even in people that I think are being foolish.
When one is studying brains one has to study all brains!