Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:33 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

When one is studying brains one has to study all brains!

The trick is to find them.

Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Well, it depends on how you use it.

If you use it freely and impulsively then your point may have relevance.

Who are you to say how someone else should use their account or to judge someone for not being your identical twin?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:05 am
The first person I ever put on ignore, I did because a third party had intervened innocently in an exchange we (the now ignored and I) were having. He savaged her in his response.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:09 am
i can't do it, it's the scab picker/accident gawker in me

another thing, i hate the collapsed post thing, makes the board look messy
msolga

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:10 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
The reason I ask is because I think that we could be useing it to invalidate those who go against our intuition!

You're asking if people are using "ignore" to avoid the views of posters they disagree with?

I'm not quite sure of what you mean here.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:28 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
The reason I ask is because I think that we could be useing it to invalidate those who go against our intuition!

You're asking if people are using "ignore" to avoid the views of posters they disagree with?

I'm not quite sure of what you mean here.

I think that you have it correct, "in a nutshell! I am sure that there can be many types of reasons to choose the ignore, I just wonder if for the most part it is used to uphold our ideologies so that we do not have to confront our confirmation biases.
msolga

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:30 am
@reasoning logic,
Ah. Thanks for clarifying that, reasoning logic.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:05 am
No, it's not about the point of view. Plenty of people disagree with me. No big whup. It's the manner in which they post. Their relentless need to punish, to postulate on the same point, to beat a dead horse instead of attempting a civlil debate. In other words they creep me out.
I pick and choose the people I hang with, the books I read ect. I'm selective. A girls only got so much time.
msolga

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:05 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I am sure that there can be many types of reasons to choose the ignore, I just wonder if for the most part it is used to uphold our ideologies so that we do not have to confront our confirmation biases.

Well, each poster has different reasons for using the "ignore" function, of course, but that wouldn't be mine. I've only had a very small number of posters on "ignore" & it's generally been for their posting tactics or offensive online behaviour, rather than a response to their views. (Sometimes they offer very little, or nothing at all, in the way of arguments or fresh insights to the discussion.) Like, for example, a poster who repeatedly attacks particular individuals in an abusive or offensive manner. Or a poster who "floods" particular threads with irrelevant mumbo jumbo, with the purpose of disrupting & deliberately undermining the flow of the discussion. Or a poster who continually responds with stock cliche's in response to other peoples' arguments. Those sorts of things.
That's how I've used the "ignore" function in the past, but I haven't done so recently. Now I tend to scroll (very quickly!) over those sorts of posts. Pay Little attention to them at all.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:08 am
@msolga,
My reasons are very similar to olga's (ceili too). The only difference, I may not be so forgiving as her.
edit
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:16 am
@msolga,
Of course there's also the "thumbing down" option. Which can be very useful when a thread has been flooded with mass irrelevant "nuisance" posts which have little to do with the actual subject of a thread. That can certainly make reading the thread a whole lot easier!
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:31 am
I don't use the feature. If i wanna ignore your ass, you'll be ignored, no two ways about it.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:46 am
@msolga,
Yes you all have made some good reasons to ignore other people and I do agree with your approaches!
I see no need in paying to much attention to some posters and I see no need in useing any emotional replies to get my point across to those who I think are not so wise in their replies.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:47 am
I obviously don't used the ignore feature on people I disagree with; look at my latest exchange with two of the biggest wankers I've ever met. No, I ignore people who I think haven't got anything positive to say (continually demeaning others' and their opinions, sometimes right out of the blue - ie. they weren't involved in the discussion and just entered to 'correct' someone or put them down for something irrelevant), or anything intelligent to say (stoopid). They're just a waste of space, to me. You may find something intelligent to glean from their idiotic posts, but I wonder.

I trust my intuition.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:50 am
The ignore function is wonderful first it filter people out for me that seem only to post short insults and little else.

Next when the ignore function is used in an attempted to censor me on threads where the main purpose is the hard sell of a point of view that I disagree with it turn out aiding me instead.

The ignore function then allowing me the freedom to point out the lack of logic and truths in postings with no time consuming need to reply to the posters in turn.

Sadly after some times it drawn on them that allowing me the freedom to post without replying are not aiding them in anyway so they once more begin responding to me.
Mame

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:10 am
@BillRM,
Reading that, I can not believe you grew up and were educated in the States. Where did you really grow up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:14 am
Ol' Bill continues to insist that he's a native speaker of English--but the way he writes sure doesn't give one any confidence that that's true.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:33 am
@Setanta,
I am kind of surprised that with our knowledge of words that no one has pointed out that the title, "[Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?]" Has two words that seem to go together.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:36 am
@reasoning logic,
"Has to words . . ." ?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:39 am
@Setanta,
Two, two. Two words in one.