9
   

Is the ignore user choice the most ignorant choice?

 
 
plainoldme
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 07:16 pm
@Setanta,
When I was in college, a prof suggested to shorten notetaking to use a delta to signify change. I have used it since to substitute for the word change or to mark a change of direction or topic.
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 05:00 am
"Ignore" is definitely the most ignorant choice. By definition. Duh.
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 04:41 pm
@Eorl,
Your Duh makes me feel so little as if I have no coherent to me at all! lol
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 05:06 pm
@Ceili,
I like your profile that you wrote, it seems to have much more thought put into it than what you put into this post.
Please do not take this the wrong way, I was just amazed at what you said in your profile! Are you a writer? If not maybe you should consider, because I liked what I read.
Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one who found it inspirational.
Intrepid
 
  2  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 05:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
Many of us have commented on the superior writing ability and content in Ceili's profile on other threads.
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 05:30 pm
@Intrepid,
So then it is done," she is writer and if she has not written a book it is not because she does not have the ability but has not pursued it as of yet.
I wish I had a descriptive mind as that. It reminds me of jenette oke's book love comes softly! I really injoyed the book much more than the movie.
0 Replies
 
Ceili
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
Thank you.
I wrote it along time ago. I wish I was a writer but life keeps getting in the way. Can't tell you how many times I've started and then well... glad you like it though.
Ceili
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:58 pm
@Intrepid,
Thank you. I really had no idea. It's nice to know though. Ta.
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:12 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Thank you.
I wrote it along time ago. I wish I was a writer but life keeps getting in the way. Can't tell you how many times I've started and then well... glad you like it though.


I am not sure that you understand, it is not up to you!
If others define you as a writer, "you are a writer in their eyes".
If you were not a writer you would not have gotten the responses that you have.
It is not only up to you to deside if you have the ability to entertain us with your writings it is our judgement call as well and it seems that the votes have already been casted in your favor as being a writer.

The only soul control that you have is to make a book happen!
0 Replies
 
plainoldme
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:53 pm
While most of us were probably taught to ignore those who are offensive, the problem is does the person being ignored think he won?
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:25 pm
@plainoldme,
He can think anything he wants to think, POM.
The point is, those ignoring him won't be finding out about it. Smile
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:27 pm
@plainoldme,
From what I've seen, they become increasingly agitated because they don't get responses to their rants. If a troll rants on the Internet and no one hears, does he make a sound?
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:32 pm
@engineer,
Yes.
A sort of impotent, frustrated whimper, most likely. Very Happy
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:15 am
@engineer,
Eggs-acktly. We have a newly minted troll here who takes every opportunity to insult me, and a number of others who post here. I've stopped responding and others have commented about the unwanted behavior in threads. I suspect that before too long, either the nickel will drop for this joker, and he'll mend his ways, or people will stop feeding the troll, except for the unexpecting who respond because they don't know any better. Either way, this clown will have marginalized himself. It isn't necessary to use an electronic gimmick to ignore people.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  2  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:49 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

While most of us were probably taught to ignore those who are offensive, the problem is does the person being ignored think he won?


I find it mildly amusing that everything on the board seems to be about winning and losing.

Somebody once said, "It''s not whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game."
0 Replies
 
plainoldme
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 07:12 am
That's an interesting round of responses!

msolga and engineer -- While it is true that if you ignore a person, they might never know they are being ignored, it is also true that some posters start haunting you, demanding that you answer their questions/accept their challenges/look back through 27 pages of posts to find the original statement that started the mess!

One prominent rightie was stamping his little feet at the liberals and those he sees as liberals (who often tell him they are not), demanding that we take his quiz. To shut him up, I took it. He didn't mention it again. On the other hand, when I have told a poster that I am not going back several months to find a remark which may be on anyone of three threads, I received an angry dismissal.

There is no pleasing some folks!

intrepid -- How you play the game! Ahh, there's the rub! Sounds a little like Survival. I admit that I have not seen more than five consecutive minutes at a time and have only subjected myself to no more than four glimpses, that there could be a strategy in Survival is just puffery. Really?

The only games I like are Scrabble, Bogle, Text Twist and Sudoku. I detest games that involve strategy.

But I have to say that I was raised to ignore people who annoy/taunt/ridicule me. Not that I haven't rebelled against my upbringing! That is why the headline of this thread bothers me? How can ignoring someone be considered ignorant unless the person being ignored is your child who is in distress? Ignoring someone who is rude/childish/utterly stupid is simply the adult way of handling certain situations.

And, I have been guilty of not being adult. Why? Because sometimes I think people just need mirrors held up to their faces.

Granted, we all have types of people we hate and certain sets of words that set us off like a match to a fuse. I hate the sort of woman I might call a cheerleader and that has made males on this forum and its parent abuzz really angry with me!

setanta -- Some of those trolls are sock puppets created by people who are having a bad day and who assume an identity, go one a2k for a weekend and blow off steam by picking on a poster -- in this case, you -- then disappear as that incarnation.

That's why I think fora like this are safety nets. Someone who is borderline can sign on, assume an alias, vent and leave without pulling a trigger.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:00 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
setanta -- Some of those trolls are sock puppets created by people who are having a bad day and who assume an identity, go one a2k for a weekend and blow off steam by picking on a poster -- in this case, you -- then disappear as that incarnation.


You're wrong about that. The people i ignore have been members here for yeas, and continue to post. Drive-by trolls are not a problem. The long term trolls are not a problem, really, either--but they can bother other people. One of the idiots i consistently ignore has been more or less stalking me lately. I know this both because busybodies around here send me PMs to ask if i have read so-and-so's latest remarks about me, and because i can see the user name as the last person posting in a thread, immediately after i have posted. I still ignore that peson, by the simple expedient of not reading their idiocy. But it can still cause annoyance for other members, and sometimes even for me. Our newest troll in training apparently made a snotty remark about me, because another member said that if he and i wanted to mud wrestle, we should take it somewhere else. Goddamn it, i don't read the little ****'s posts, so leave me out of it. I almost posted that, but realized that this member doesn't know that, so i refrained. But if she pulls that **** again, i'm going to tell her that i don't read that idiots posts, and to leave me out of it.

This idiot has the dubious distinction of being here for the shortest period of time of any member i have decided to stop reading.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
"Ignore" is definitely the most ignorant choice. By definition. Duh.


Not so . . . people get ignored because of a previous history which has convinced the member ignoring them that they are not worth reading. They make that decision based on knowledge, not ignorance.
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 02:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Eorl wrote:
"Ignore" is definitely the most ignorant choice. By definition. Duh.


Not so . . . people get ignored because of a previous history which has convinced the member ignoring them that they are not worth reading. They make that decision based on knowledge, not ignorance.




I think that Eorl was not necessarily saying that it was a choice of ignorance but a chocie to ignore-rant! [a ignorant choice]
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 02:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
Sounds right to me.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

What is the most valuable thing you own? - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
Has there been a roll call? - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
Here's another Trump thread... - Discussion by tsarstepan
Should I be offended? - Question by the prince
How desperate can a christian get? - Discussion by reasoning logic
Is A2K A Religion? - Question by mark noble
Top o' the Mornin' to Ya! - Question by Transcend
8/31/05 : Gas Prices - Discussion by Ken cv
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/13/2021 at 01:59:27