Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 01:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Wow.
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 02:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I went to a good psychologist, who helped me to get
relief from an obsession with a girl named Joyce.

I enjoyed my sessions with him.
Thay felt pleasant. His ministrations soothed my mind....

At last, a positive statement stating the problem and that it was solved. But HOW was it solved? Can you outline the process leading to the solution? Was it a permanent, definitive, clear-cut solution? Or was the original problem (obsession with lady named Joyce) replaced by a different problem - say (hypothetically, of course) obsession with a different object? No, nobody suggested the 2nd Amendment Smile
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I was just joshin' you a little bit, David. Over the years I've met kind, decent people on both sides of the political spectrum. (You're one of them.) I mean garden-variety conservatives and liberals. I haven't known any political extremists, though. And there are also jerks on both sides.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, the problem is that many teenagers are out of touch with their lives (not to mention confused), as I certainly was; and they don't feel empowered. You obviously were very smart. The problem that some teenagers have is not that they're dumb; they just don't have any drive or direction (as, again, was true of me). Besides, perhaps Homomorph's parents were keeping her on a tight leash, which would have severely limited her freedom to choose.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:54 am
@Homomorph,
Homomorph wrote:
Wow.
COUNTER-Wow !
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:06 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan, as usual, is right on target. That rant has a distinctly partisan ring to it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:49 am
@High Seas,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I went to a good psychologist, who helped me to get
relief from an obsession with a girl named Joyce.

I enjoyed my sessions with him.
Thay felt pleasant. His ministrations soothed my mind....
High Seas wrote:
At last, a positive statement stating the problem and that it was solved. But HOW was it solved?
Can you outline the process leading to the solution? Was it a permanent, definitive, clear-cut solution?
Its been quite a few years, but I remember some of it. I had felt for years that I had unfinished business with Joyce,
until we resolved everything (and I got rejected). The predominantly important consideration was that it was a clean break with no further unfinished business. To that, his talent was added. He approved of giving attention to the faults of the object of obsession (e.g., smoking). Music that was reminiscent of her, in its beauty, shoud be mentally dissociated from her. I shoud not think of her, unless to remember any unpleasantnesses of the association. Of course, distractions can be helpful.

High Seas wrote:
Or was the original problem (obsession with lady named Joyce) replaced by a different problem - say
(hypothetically, of course) obsession with a different object?
No, nobody suggested the 2nd Amendment Smile
No; I remember giving my attention to guns since before my 3rd birthday.
I had no functional firearms before I reached the age of 8.
I used to lie in bed thinking about them.

My obsession with the 2nd Amendment began years before I met Joyce,
when I found it (the whole Constitution) in the back of a history book, when I was 9.

In a few hours, I 'm leaving on a jet plane,
don 't know when I 'll be back again,
to go study it in a San Francisco symposium.

I did not actually need the 2nd Amendment when I was 9,
because guns were very much in abundance in the environment;
no interference, but I remembered a different situation earlier in NY.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:17 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
David, the problem is that many teenagers are out of touch with their lives
(not to mention confused), as I certainly was;
HOW can anyone be out of touch with his own life?
He is right there together with it.

wmwcjr wrote:
and they don't feel empowered. You obviously were very smart.
The problem that some teenagers have is not that they're dumb;
they just don't have any drive or direction (as, again, was true of me).
Well, anyone can choose a favored goal
and take logical steps to achieve it.
For instance, one fellow decided to become a successful song writer,
so he arose and betook himself to the public library and searched for
common patterns in commericially successful music.
He discovered a predominance of vowels being sounded out, at length.
Accordingly, he integrated those successful patterns into new music
of his creation; sound logic [no pun intended]. He swiftly made a fortune; it worked.

wmwcjr wrote:
Besides, perhaps Homomorph's parents were keeping her on a tight leash,
which would have severely limited her freedom to choose.
Homo is a female ?
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 03:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
People can be out of touch with their lives by engaging in denial and self-deception. Some people don't understand themselves very well. Perhaps I was slightly mentally ill when I was a teenager, although the psychologist I saw was of no help at all. Just my thoughts, as limited as they are.

I don't know why I made the assumption that Homomorph was female. Oh, well ...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 03:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
"Can't we all just get along?" Laughing
0 Replies

Homomorph

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
NO i did truly not hav a CHOICE, even bein a hi schewlr!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can assure you that I'm not a scientologist. I speak from my own experience.
0 Replies

Ell

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 09:12 pm
@Homomorph,
Homomorph, being a psychologists, you're still a person and the subconscious of everybody works the same, even psychologists. You just feel threatened by the fact that you know that they are people out there that might know all your deepest secrets. It's normal. Your mind is trying to protect your self worth and trying to restore a mind stability that you lost by knowing that these people, by activativating a self defense mechanism. Because it makes you feel loosing control, therefore insecure and unstable. So, the way your mind does to feel secure aigain is to hate these people and make everyone else you meet hate them too, at the point that you take the time to post it online so the world can help you restore your mental security. By doing that, you feel safe and good about yourself aigain. It's totally normal!!!!! That's how everybody's mind works. Even mine. But the fact that you now know the mechanism of the games your mind is playing with you, you'll now be able to distinguish reality and illusion. There's reality, and the distorted reality our mind makes us see according to our beleifs, emotions, and emotional needs. If your self defense mechanism didin't stop you from readind this until now, then you're already one big step towards conquering your mind. But if not, good luck with future life situations.
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 03:26 am
@Homomorph,
As a Psychology Enthusiast, I can say they are usually a joke & don't genuinely care about their clients as the same with most Psychologists although sometimes they help people. It's all about a good match & mutual respect more than anything from what I know.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2023 12:39 pm
About psychiatrists: be careful about the medication, sometimes they give too much. A pill can help for the first two or three days, then make you go downward in the following weeks.
0 Replies