Multi-disciplinary chat Cyber Salon for artists & thinkers?

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:30 am
ossobuco i was in and out of chat last nite several times and must have just missed seeing you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:26 pm
Shepaints and dyslexia, I just edited my last post, I sounded a little petulant, even to me, and I was meaning more to be humorous.

It might be good to just let the talk flow and have the famous artists be the subjects of a regular thread. I know Farmerman was going to try and join in and put in a comment on Leonardo. But we could have an everyday thread for comments on artists...single artists or groups like Michaelangelo, Raphael, and Leonardo.

I can see that if one actually researched the topic for the chat and nobody brought it up, it could be annoying. Hmmm. Though we actually did talk about Kiki Smith a couple of weeks ago.

Chat is so very ephemeral. If someone does make an interesting comment on an artist, then only the few people there at the time can see it, and it vaporizes shortly thereafter....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:11 pm
chat
Osso, I didn't think you sounded petulant. But if you were, I'm glad I was there, for the first hour at least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:16 pm
Sorry I missed chatting with you, JL! Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:26 pm
chat
Me too, but there's forever.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:54 pm
I am going to add a new thread on decisions we need to make about the chat room. After we talk a while, I will develop a poll to survey what we think. In the meantime, I will start a second thread with next week's chat subject and some links.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:16 pm
My proposal as discussed Sunday was to highlight Cindy Sherman for the month of February, amongst any other mulitdisciplinary discussions that might take place....studio practicalities, poetry, literature, film, related art etc.......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:20 pm
Should we continue to research Cindy Sherman's work for another week - in preparation for February chats? There's a good chance that different people will be there, at different times each week - so it will give everyone a chance to read/look/prepare or just look and react.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:16 pm
Sorry, shepaints, I missed the february part, or forgot it. I'll go edit the announcement if I can.

Would you answer the poll then, that you want a main subject with other chat?
(One of the last three choices...)
It's really your chat forum in the first place. Joanne and I have been pitching in. There seem to be decisions about subjects and they change and then some seem comfortable without a subject. I am trying to figure out what would please people. We might end up with more than one forum.

I like the month long subject idea, much saner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:23 pm
OssoB - i think we might have missed the feb reference - you were busy cooking and i was doing laundry - i don't think any harm's been done.

A slight modification to the announcement would probably be the best way to handle it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:46 pm
chat
Frankly, I don't really care too much about the (any) topic. I just like interacting with such intelligent and gracious people. Sorry that I'll be away for this coming chat.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:53 am
The topic idea always makes me do a bit of homework which is enlightening. Threads are cool too. I don't know if I'll be able to make it this Sunday. Super Bowl, you know. Even if my beloved Packers aren't playing, I still have to watch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
I think the consensus will end up that people like subjects even if we don't talk about them. Haven't checked if anybody has voted on the poll, busy last couple of days.

I have worried about the person who looks up a subject very seriously and sees it not addressed or whiff away in cyberchat ether, but that would be handled by having an auxiliary thread, I think.

So, next question, is the corresponding thread the one where we announce the chat subject for the month [which I think should be a separate post from this thread] or should it be an additional separate post? Inquiring minds want to know.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
Um, I didn't mean to presuppose the consensus.

I myself am thrilled to just plain talk. After a year or two, we might get used to it and crave subjects. But subjects are probably best handled regularly. And more but....but, in chat, some neat observations may just flow forth.

Which brings up Michelangelo, who we didn't discuss very much. Article in the NYT this week about his being a money hoarder and actually wealthy. I might have saved the link.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
Have you all previously discussed hours? I hate to see hebba and several other potential european contributors...or australian contributors, aced out because of time. Maybe we should start a second chat at a more propitious time for them, whatever that might be. Not necessarily with a subject, just a howdydo to start.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:17 pm
The only real discussion we had about hours and topics was at chat last week. Michelangelo would be good for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:23 pm
I am thinking this next sunday is open. I've mailed on this to shepaints.
But I am game to talk some about old Mick the miser, plus of course genius.
Back with link if I kept it.
osso
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:28 pm
OK sounds good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:43 pm
I didn't save the Michelangelo link, and as I read in great swaths, I forget where I read it. Feels like NYT, but I don't see it there. Hmmm.

Can you please wait for the user group announcement until we hear from shepaints, or post it in the morning?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:43 pm
Sure no problem
0 Replies