Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:43 pm
@Ceili,
READ IT!! I've committed it to memory.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@Ceili,
It was a terrific, spot-on read, Ceili.
Well done, couldn't have said it half as well as you did.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 10:27 pm
@msolga,
Msolga, have you ever been to the United States?
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 11:31 pm
@georgeob1,
No, but I follow US news & current affairs (as well as many other countries) pretty closely, George.
My online research has lead me to a similar understanding to Ceili's.
You have a problem with a person gaining an understanding in this way?
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:17 am
@georgeob1,
Now you've got Gob1 screaming "uncle uncle", Ceili.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:29 am
@msolga,
No problem with the learning part. Just dismay with two elements; (1) the hypocrisy involved and (2) the apparent complacent certainty that with your "online research" you have real understanding - more or less, I suppose equivalent to your "understanding" of Japanese culture..

Ceili appears to forget a few things about the reality of Canada as well. These include political differences among the provinces entirely analogous to the "Red & Blue " state political struggles here; enduring cultural and political conflicts between Francophones and English speakers; a history with respect to native peoples very similar to ours; the fact that Canada too interred its West Coast Japanese immigrant population just after the attack on Pearl Harbor; it too has continuing immigration problems (Calgary has the worlds largest concentration of angry and surly Hindi & Sikh taxi drivers.); and many others. The chief difference is that the United States has nine times the population as Canada and, in terms of its world-wide impact the gain is set much higher, and therefore more attention is paid to its warts.

It might be an interesting exercise for you to do a little similar critical thinking about your own country. I have visited it on several occasions; found the people and the atmosphere, from Perth to Adelaide and Sydney, very agreeable; and have read of its history. Like the rest of us you, too have faced some challenges and made some errors.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:41 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It might be an interesting exercise for you to do a little similar critical thinking about your own country.

Well, if "we" do that - would that mean that you, George, than accept her/his/our criticisms?

I've read what Ceili wrote about Canada, what msolga wrote about Australia - here on A2K.

As an aside: I've been to the US, actually to more states than many US-citizens. Last time a couple of weeks ago, next time in some months.
I like it there, most of it. But I do agree - in general - how Ceili looks at it.

On the other hand, I noticed quite often some very surprising perspectives like this one (in Montrose, Co)
http://i52.tinypic.com/avhfli.jpg

(I know, I know - it was just thought to post it as a joke)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@georgeob1,
Your comparisons of Canada and the United States shows that you do not have a sound knowledge of Canada, it's government, it's people or it's politics.

I might also point out that Canada had already been in the war for 2 years prior to Pearl Harbour. I will also mention that the same day that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour, they attacked Hong Kong and killed or captured every Canadian serving in the Winnipeg Grenadiers and Royal Rifles of Canada. Like the U.S., Canada later apologized to the Japanese interments and their families and gave them a monetary settlement. Perhaps a bit late, but it was still done.

If striking out at Canada and Australia are your way of defending your own country, then you are certainly on shaking ground.

Perhaps you would like to comment on why many Americans sport small Canadian flags on their person and bags when travelling abroad.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 12:46 pm
@Intrepid,
There's no need to point out such silly notions, Intrepid. This isn't a "My dad is better than your dad" contest.

The Canadians certainly need to answer for following the Americans into an illegal invasion of Afghanistan. You don't follow in the steps of war criminals and remain pure and innocent. Harper is as big a war criminal as any of the Americans or Brits or Aussies or ... .
Ceili

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 01:27 pm
@georgeob1,
George,
I think regardless of where you live, you are allowed an opinion about the US. It does have a hand in most countries day to day life, whether it be the entertainment industry or just say no policies, or just maybe it's that their army fought beside yours in Iraq. I'm sure MsOlga could take any criticisms about Oz.
I have not forgotten any Canadian realities. Had this been a discussion of Canadian "Koran burners" or whether I'm a "lefty" or not, then yes, I would have brought up our unique problems.

There are political differences among Canada's provinces but it's not as died in the wool as you might think. Provincially, aside from Alberta - that has always been awash in a sea of blue, most of the provinces sway between either a conservative or liberal or NDP government, but sometimes the liberal party is the conservative party, and the while there are ridings at the federal level that are "safe" for one party or another throughout our nation, the country has either had a Liberal or a Conservative leader since it's inception, but... because we have many political parties, there have always been other voices in our government.
So, the political divide in this country is not as pronounced politically, but regionally. East/West, or BC, the North, the Prairies, the East, Quebec, the Maritime's. It's also about the resources and or industry. We don't really have the race related issues, except in small pockets across the country and aboriginal claims. While we have a similar history regarding our native peoples, we parted ways in terms of treaties we have or have not honoured and the abuse they suffered in residential schools. And yes, we did inter the Japanese. Not something we are not proud of, but goes to show, again, that it doesn't take much to spur on a mob mentality.
As for immigration records... who doesn't have issues with waves of people coming into a country, trying to assimilate? There are bound to be some ripples of discord. I live in the most diverse city in Canada and I know a few surly Sikh cab drivers. I'd hate to do their job.
There are bound to be differences because of our population differences with the States as well, but again, there are more populace places on earth that don't have your problems. No place is a shangri la, but then again, I don't think I painted the USA as a hell on earth either.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 02:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Msolga, have you ever been to the United States?

Have you been to every single country that you might have commented on, in discussions on this board, George?

Do you take issue with US A2K posters here commenting on North Korea, Iran, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan, or any number of other countries they might discussed, but have perhaps have never actually been to?

Quote:
No problem with the learning part. Just dismay with two elements; (1) the hypocrisy involved and (2) the apparent complacent certainty that with your "online research" you have real understanding - more or less, I suppose equivalent to your "understanding" of Japanese culture..

It was hypocritical & complacent to congratulate Ceili (very briefly) on an excellent post?
It may come as a big surprise to you, George, but many people in other countries are actually very well informed about US politics because we make a point of closely following developments. There is heaps of information out there in the media.
As for your comment about my knowledge of Japanese culture, what would you know about what I know? The little you've read on the "whales" thread?

Quote:

It might be an interesting exercise for you to do a little similar critical thinking about your own country.

It might be an interesting exercise for you to get your facts straight. Clearly you know next to nothing about what I've posted about Australia & Australian politics on A2K. Check out the Oz threads & enlighten yourself.
You are incredibly rude & patronizing, George.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 02:16 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Have you been to every single country that you might have commented on, in discussions on this board, George?

Yes, I believe so... except for Bosnia. Moreover I generally refrain from sweeping generalities, confining myself to specific issues instead.
msolga

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 02:17 pm
@georgeob1,
Could you list them for us, please? The ones you've commented on in discussions here, I mean.

Quote:
Moreover I generally refrain from sweeping generalities, confining myself to specific issues instead.

As I believe I do, also.

And what about the rest of my comments?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 02:59 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Could you list them for us, please? The ones you've commented on in discussions here, I mean.

Why should I subject myself to your interrogation ? After all we have already established your willingness to comment incisively on the character of places you've never seen. Lets just say that I have travelled very widely in Europe, Asia, South America and even Africa over the past few decades. A few weeks ago I returned from a most enjoyable tour of Estonia, Latvia (Riga is a wonderful place) and Lithuania. I've spent considerable time over the years in Norway, Iceland, Denmark, the UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, South Africa, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Bahrain, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and, of course Canada. I've travelled to Germany, the Czech Republic, Portugual, Russia, China, Turkey, Egypt, Tunis, Morrocco, Lebanon, Israel, Oman, the Emirates (Persian Gulf) and other places as well. I've learned something about the human condition along the way, including the truth that the differences among individuals are large compared to the average differences among nations.
msolga

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Why should I subject myself to your interrogation ?

Why not? (If you call that an "interrogation".) Perhaps because I've had to wear your completely uniformed, patronizing rudeness, George.
Perhaps you should think things through a bit more before you post such comments in the future?

And you've evaded responding to quite a bit of what I posted. I can't say I'm remotely surprised. Neutral
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Why should I subject myself to your interrogation ?

Because you frequently do the same to others. You just finished interrogating Ms O.

I'm convinced. Everything George, the tourist, says from here on out about world affairs is gospel.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Perhaps because I've had to wear your completely uniformed, patronizing rudeness, George.

Well you do a good deal of uninformed rudeness yourself. In contrast, mine has been well-informed, merited, and mild.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Ms O wrote: And you've evaded responding to quite a bit of what I posted.

Quote:
Mine has been well-informed, ...

I've never come across anything of yours that remotely approaches well informed, Gob. If you mean armed to the teeth with a steady stream of propaganda aimed at diverting attention from US misdeeds, then I have to agree, you are up to speed.

Otherwise, what you offer is just badly formed tripe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well you do a good deal of uninformed rudeness yourself.

Show me where exactly I've done it George.
Just a few examples will do. Where I have insulted posters personally in the way you've insulted me.
I'd really like to see what you come up with.

Quote:
Mine has been well-informed, merited, and mild compared to yours.

Ha. You really think so? Wink