Sarah Palin the Sound and the Fury (Vanity Fair)

georgeob1

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:23 pm
@JTT,
Awkward and silly. You are tripping over your own arguments.

Enough, however. I've made my point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:27 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRF, Enjoyed your post; it really shows where Palin's strengths and weaknesses are; she's all hat and no cattle. She'd have a very difficult time trying to provide detail for all her rhetoric for change. She seems to ignore congress that is essentially split in half, and an electorate that doesn't understand much in the way of democracy. All the hew and cry about a community center/mosque two blocks away from ground zero holds the interest of most voters when our country's economy is falling deeper into no-man's land. Most do not understand the US Constitution, and believe people's bigoted feelings should have a place in our decisions.

When any candidate for president tells us they have foreign experience, because they live next to two foreign countries shows how stupid Americans accept that as experience in foreign affairs.

I want Palin to run, because she will split the conservatives in half. I have faith that even conservatives understand she will be destructive to our country as she has shown during the 2008 campaign.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The protagonosts[sic] on this thread can't defend the current administrations's missteps, and appear unwilling to face their contradictions, so they pick an opponent to attack. High Sea's question calls you on that. You retaliate by accusing me (in this instance) of doing exactly what they have been doing.

If you follow the posts after you entered the thread, you'll see that you discussed Sarah Palin, that the discussion was of Sarah Palin, even the title points to the discussion as being one centered on Sarah Palin.

The one who dragged the pointed issues about Sarah Palin away from Sarah Palin was you, in that last tangential rocket shot.

Now don't take this to mean that I'm saying you can't discuss related topics, but don't try to make yourself out as some kind of focused Joe when the facts, again, don't support such that position. In light of your attack on others, the facts, again, as is often the case, make you look like a hypocrite and a fool.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:39 pm
@JTT,
Writing it again doesn't improve the argument. Think it through again.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 04:45 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Fido wrote:
.... if a district is divided it should send twice the representatives, one from each point of view, minimum....[Palin]....We are all victims of government by party, and that is the game she plays...

To the extent that I can follow your train of thought, your concern was addressed by the 17th Amendment in 1913 - before Gov. Palin was born:
http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm#amdt_17_%281913%29

What does that have to do with parties or limiting the number of representatives... The Supreme Court ruled that the house can set its own rules... Where does that leave us???Where does it say in the constitution that government must be manageable for the representatives of the people??? Who cares if it is some kind of cluster fuk if the people's will gets done??? You see what they give us??? Only enough to keep us from open revolt...It should never have gotten so bad, and would not have if we had a better democracy which the parties have cut us out of... It does not matter if it is to some extent proportional... Two heads are better than one, and no representative can divide his vote between 600 K...The people's house is a house divided on purpose, against the will of the people... And I am not saying the right and the left should not have a voice... I am saying that now the parties have our tongues...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Especially when those would be redirectors are stuffed shirts who are probably sock puppets. Oh, then they're stuffed socks!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:36 pm
@Fido,
I strongly suggest that you and everyone else here find and read Andrew Basevich's latest book.
firefly

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:56 pm
When a half term governor, of a rather sparsely populated state, who has repeatedly demonstrated a shallow and uninformed grasp of both national domestic and foreign policy issues, is seriously considered as a potential presidential contender, our country is indeed in trouble. And, if she is the best the Republican party can put forth, they no longer exist as a viable, productive political force.

I have noticed a rather deafening silence in this thread regarding Ms Palin's more substantive attributes and her ability to hold high office. Does that mean she has no supporters among us?
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:29 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I strongly suggest that you and everyone else here find and read Andrew Basevich's latest book.
What were his primary conclusions???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:34 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

When a half term governor, of a rather sparsely populated state, who has repeatedly demonstrated a shallow and uninformed grasp of both national domestic and foreign policy issues, is seriously considered as a potential presidential contender, our country is indeed in trouble. And, if she is the best the Republican party can put forth, they no longer exist as a viable, productive political force.

I have noticed a rather deafening silence in this thread regarding Ms Palin's more substantive attributes and her ability to hold high office. Does that mean she has no supporters among us?

I think her chances are excellent...In America we fear to delgate political power to the intelligent and so must continually suffer idiots in office being manipulated by people like Roe who could not be elected dog catcher in a three corner town...
plainoldme

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:46 am
@georgeob1,
You don't seem to understand that High Seas can not say hello without sounding snooty. Were my father, a blue collar man and proud of it, to encounter her, he would say she thinks "her **** don't stink."

I ignored High Seas until you posted this which is not asking what you suggest it asks but which is simply High Seas showing how high she is on herself . . . if she is herself.

BTW, while I have ignored this woman, she excoriated me. What a c.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:48 am
@Fido,
Right on, Fido! Your post about representation in Congress was accurate and honest.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:55 am
@Fido,
I hate to say this, fido, but Americans are afraid of the intelligent and the weird support bush II received . . ."he's the sort of guy whose lawn mower you would want to borrow" . . . shows how stupid we are.

That stupidity came to Massachusetts when scott brown campaigned solely on the basis of owning a truck. The truck as campaign prop hid the fact that he and his wife own five houses.

Who in the hell needs five houses?

The press should have been on that fraud prior to the election so that people who were and are losing their homes would rage against the machine politician.
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:18 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I hate to say this, fido, but Americans are afraid of the intelligent and the weird support bush II received . . ."he's the sort of guy whose lawn mower you would want to borrow" . . . shows how stupid we are.

That stupidity came to Massachusetts when scott brown campaigned solely on the basis of owning a truck. The truck as campaign prop hid the fact that he and his wife own five houses.

Who in the hell needs five houses?

The press should have been on that fraud prior to the election so that people who were and are losing their homes would rage against the machine politician.

We need this sort of freedom of the press, the sort we practice here, communicating with all comers... We need the sort of individual freedom that allows for religious belief... But freedom of religion and freedom of press are misplaced in this country...It is all corporate... The religions are all corporate... They do not preserve our freedoms with theirs... Their freedom comes at the expense of ours... In the little capital city of Lansing where I make my home, the local journal is never critical of government except in the most obligatory and offhanded matter, as though uninvolved... Well, they are corporate, and they take their orders from on high, and they will not screw up their access to government from which all good stories come just to look at what really is going on, and reporting it...They will not make friends of the people -who are to them a fickle mob to lose the congenial relationship with the powerful, with their bread and their butter in hand... It goes national... I tried to get letters in before the Iraq and Afghan wars critical of what was obviously going to happen... Like journalists everywhere, they look for easy money, and wars are easy money... They did not oppose it... They did not use their better judgement. They posted letters for and against, being balanced and fair without the consideration due to the subject, because a lot of Republicans buy papers... They waved the flag while idiots led us to war... What is the point of having them around to take up space and rights if they do not use their brains and educations to educate the people???

It is one of the goods we should expect from government that they will educate us, but because we are essentially powerless we are more often miseducated by government, so we cannot make informed decisions, and the press only helps in that... The churches are even worse, actively encouraging and feeding the irrationality of the people, praying for God's help to solve the problems governemnt should solve, asking for luck, when there is no better word for it to avoid problems government could be certain to avoid if it were possible for government to be rational, and if the forces of unreason were not fed rights and powers by the government... It is insane...
plainoldme

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:40 am
@Fido,
I quit my first journalism job because the editor put in words that I didn't write just to humiliate the subject of the story.
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:07 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I quit my first journalism job because the editor put in words that I didn't write just to humiliate the subject of the story.

The truth causes us all enough pain without our using truth to inflict pain... No matter what we throw at people, true or false, if knowledge is virtue, then it is only out of ignorance that we injure...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:54 am
This sounds a bit like a dialogue from the Miniver Cheevy household.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:33 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

and here I was thinking of Richard Cory.
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:53 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

and here I was thinking of Richard Cory.

Richard Cory long gone and dead
died of the noble idea in his head
That what is moral is also just
that what is wealth is also lust
and realizing as most good men do
The damage good folks and true
enjoy to have more than me or you
and having no way to make correction
submitted to his execution
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:04 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Minivan Chevy died in his car
on the way between near and far
He took a drink and cursed is fate
He cursed his fate and took a drink
until he was too drunk to think
but realizing he was late
and beat once more by hands of time
experienced a moment sublime
and wishing his miserable life away
Staggered to his car with his keys a sway...
0 Replies