what is the beggining of philosophy?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:05 pm
@mark noble,
You provide a simplistic answer where the problems are complex. If you know anything about the American position on the Afghanistan war, you would understand a little about how complex this issue is. Look what happened when the UK got involved in the US war in Iraq. No simple answers there, either.

I also agree that our country is the worst terrorist of our time; we had no business going to war in Iraq on the basis of lies that GW Bush and his gang perpetrated against the world and congress. I do not believe for a moment that the US congress believed it wasn't the right action to take based on the lies they were told by GW Bush administration. Who would have believed that the president and everybody involved in his administration would lie?

What we have done in Iraq is the biggest terrorist activity of modern times.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:53 pm
It does appear that we have some wise thinkers here, keep it coming as I am all ears
0 Replies

Alrenous

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:25 pm
@Arjuna,
Ah, I see. Thanks then.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You provide a simplistic answer where the problems are complex. If you know anything about the American position on the Afghanistan war, you would understand a little about how complex this issue is. Look what happened when the UK got involved in the US war in Iraq. No simple answers there, either.

I also agree that our country is the worst terrorist of our time; we had no business going to war in Iraq on the basis of lies that GW Bush and his gang perpetrated against the world and congress. I do not believe for a moment that the US congress believed it wasn't the right action to take based on the lies they were told by GW Bush administration. Who would have believed that the president and everybody involved in his administration would lie?

What we have done in Iraq is the biggest terrorist activity of modern times.
Why is it you always speak as if you have knowledge no one else owns??? What is the alphabet soup behind your name, or were you only born rich and beautiful???

Givng some one the authority to go to war is really giving them the power to negotiate... Did we really want Iraq??? Was it worth the lives to us or the billions... It was worth it to the oil companies... All they had to buy was the government...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:38 pm
@Fido,
Your ad hominems are useless in intelligent discourse. If you have disagreements with anything I say, please point them out to me, because I'm very interested to know if my opinion are wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:41 pm
@Fido,
Your ad hominems are useless in intelligent discourse. If you have disagreements with anything I say, please point them out to me, because I'm very interested to know if my opinion is wrong.

If you wish to challenge me with your opinion, please provide credible evidence for it. If you believe the oil companies instigated the Iraq war, please provide evidence for it.
Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido, You must learn about the real world; no politician or government does all the rights things for their citizens, and we're talking about countries where the people select them through their votes.

I'm always frustrated with how our government makes decisions that are destructive to our country, not only domestically but internationally. I voted for Obama, but if I knew how he would increase our deficit with sloppy spending, I would never have voted for him. He's accomplished most of what he promised during his campaign, but he also lied about transparency and helping wall street more than main street where the jobs are needed.

His bailout of car companies, banks and finance companies, is unfair to "all" Americans. As I've mentioned many times before, the bailout of banks and finance companies were necessary to rescue our economy, but he was sloppy in how he gave out those monies. That's not good management of our money.

Will I vote for Obama again? Depends on who runs against him, and what their message and past history is concerning issues that are important to me.

I want smaller government, more stimulus spending towards infrastructure; roads, bridges, transportation, and communication, and a better handle on how the money is spent to minimize waste. Our country needs jobs; fighting wars half way across the world is not our 100% responsibility; that belongs to the world community if they have any interest in defeating terrorists.

Many people around the world see us as imperialist pigs and occupiers where we don't belong. It creates more hatred and animosity against us.

Even our local and state governments struggle with their annual budgets while tax revenue continues to drop. That's because our domestic economy isn't being helped by our governments; they do most things half-ass backwards.

When I served on the grand jury in Santa Clara County in 2003-2004, we told the city councils and the county supervisors that they were spending too much on safety officer pay and benefits. They didn't listen, and now they are going to include it in our next election to give local governments more control over their pay and benefits - especially their retirement benefit which they earn after 30 years service at 90% of the highest pay. Most of these people get more benefit during their retirement years than when they worked. The potential taxpayers will be paying on their benefit is from 50 years old to about 80 years old - or more than the 30 years they have worked. Most now earn over six figures in wages. Most workers work much longer at less pay, and they don't get 90% retirement pay. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's not only unfair to taxpayers, but local governments need to cut back on on other essential services. When they were recently asked to take a 8.25% pay cut to save 65 firemen's jobs, they said no. That's unmitigated greed; they don't give a **** about our safety.

I agree with you that the government does not act in the best interest of the people, and it is because it is not the people...The government does not reflect the morals of the people and actively demoralizes the people... The government could not be immoral if the people were not immoral, and could hardly be more moral than the people would allow... I do think that if the influence of religion could be removed from government, and government could be forced to deal with reality in a rational manor, and not always deny reality and hope and pray for the best when the best has been pushed beyond unlikely that we would stand a chance... Look at our situation... It is all backward... The government is broke, and the people are forever supporting the economy which should be able to support both government and people... Capital is on life support, and no sooner starts to breathe on its own when its heart stops, and worst of all, in its agony brings us into conflict all over the world...If we had a democracy we can be certain that stupidity might often rule, but as soon as people realized that they suffered their own excesses, and that the power was theirs, then they would use their heads and show restraint....Government should be able to consider the future, and it is almost as though they believe there is no such thing, but only more now...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hi CI!

I think we all know it wasn't JUST about oil.
What about the corporations that provide arms, medical supplies, uniforms, food, etc to the forces involved? This is a trillion dollar a day industry. If you know that a war is on the cards, you invest a few million in the right places under the appropriate proxys and the sun shines forever.
No need to though when you have your fingers in all the right pies.

One may even use their STUPID son as a presidential scapegoat, in case all goes wrong.

As long as the war machine keeps turning, the unemployment levels fall, industry produces, the public are happy to back the ruling party (on anything) and the honour levels go through the roof - providing a patriotic afterbreath that continues the saga from generation to generation.

Business as usual! Don't you agree?

Mark...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:50 am
@mark noble,
Our defense industry is the biggest in the world. Why wouldn't they supply the arms and whatever else that's needed for an active war?

Scientists are always looking for better weapons; R&D is big business in this country. If a scientist has the opportunity to work for any company that provides advanced weaponry, they will take the job.

I know the scientist who designed the first aerodynamics of atomic bombs, Bob Brodsky. He's a friend of mine who also worked on rockets. He started courses in Astronautics at USC and Ohio State University, and still lectures occasionally.

That's the "real" world we live in.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:13 pm
@mark noble,
The divine Donatien Alphonse François, marquis de Sade has some good stuff on war profiteers Mark. And he doesn't portray them in a particularly pleasant light.

But you need an alternative. There are a number to choose from. You departing for the hills to live a hermit's life is one of them. Distance yourself from it all.
Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:28 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi CI!

I think we all know it wasn't JUST about oil.
What about the corporations that provide arms, medical supplies, uniforms, food, etc to the forces involved? This is a trillion dollar a day industry. If you know that a war is on the cards, you invest a few million in the right places under the appropriate proxys and the sun shines forever.
No need to though when you have your fingers in all the right pies.

One may even use their STUPID son as a presidential scapegoat, in case all goes wrong.

As long as the war machine keeps turning, the unemployment levels fall, industry produces, the public are happy to back the ruling party (on anything) and the honour levels go through the roof - providing a patriotic afterbreath that continues the saga from generation to generation.

Business as usual! Don't you agree?

Mark...

Oh! But prove it... Once Bush was clear to go to war there was no turning back... The shipping was already leased while negotiations were still in progress... What they said, and what they thought, was that we would go over there and break up those people's shet, and use oil revenues to pay ourselves to repair their junk, with out junk... They had other ideas... We got their oil, and it cost us more Iraqi lives than Saddam Hussain could have ever taken... I don't get it... How do we attack a people because they suffer a dictator??? In what sense it is their fault they are oppressed... If you want to free them, give them the means to defend themselves... That is all they need to be free...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The divine Donatien Alphonse François, marquis de Sade has some good stuff on war profiteers Mark. And he doesn't portray them in a particularly pleasant light.

But you need an alternative. There are a number to choose from. You departing for the hills to live a hermit's life is one of them. Distance yourself from it all.
Resist... Drag your feet on the way to the gas chanmber... Don't lead other to their doom... Disenthrall yourself from the form... Tear down the old and don't worry about the new.. Stay ready for anything...That is your alternative... Touch the monster and it will eat you alive...With draw from it your faith and it will fall like a house of cards... The form does not make us real... We make the form real... Quit.
spendius

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:11 pm
@Fido,
That only works for a few individuals I think. That's not the alternative I would choose. We made this form real.
Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:51 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That only works for a few individuals I think. That's not the alternative I would choose. We made this form real.
Turn your back on it and it will fall... Social forms are all belief and no substance... It is not the form you have to fear, but the true believers... It is only when you buy into the forms, nation, patriotism, God, country that they can hurt you.... Once you see it for what it is, just another form out of many, it becomes just another form, no better than any other, no better than the good it does, no worse than the evil it does...
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

My opinion would be to know that you could be wrong. What is your opinion?

These words just do not seem to go to gather very well do they? [ know] that you could be [wrong]

the want to get to the truth
north

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:07 pm
@north,
north wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

These words just do not seem to go to gather very well do they? [ know] that you could be [wrong]

the want to be wise
Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:43 pm
@north,
north wrote:

north wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

the want to be wise

Truth is an illusion and wisdom is vanity...
RexRed

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:07 pm
The beginning of philosophy was due to a genetic mutation that enabled humans to perceive time.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:10 pm
@RexRed,
How about some science so that we can all understand this?
RexRed

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:54 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

How about some science so that we can all understand this?

Science... Archaeology? History? Genetics? Anthropology? They all confirm.

Do I need to post something from the journal of medicine or is my own word sufficient?