what is the beggining of philosophy?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
...you are start to look more and more of a joke...obviously the formal definition is enough for you but not for anyone with two fingers of size in the forehead...

...in fact Religion is the first organized attempt to symbolically explain the unknown, and like it or not, its very much a spontaneous social activity since mankind is mankind...formal Philosophy is a natural development over it not the start of it...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:55 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Prove it?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
...why on hell do you think Religions as form of symbolic explaining were born ?
...indeed out of questioning, out of wondering, out of needing to understand...its common sense men ! You asking for proof of the obvious is ridiculous.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...it is indeed quite ironic introduction to Reason as a group social effort was formally the bi product of religious activity...Philosophy is just a refinement of such activity...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You're not proving anything, but asking questions.

Religions grew out of ignorance, and to control the masses.

Many human concepts grew out of ignorance; philosophy tries to correct these through seeking truth.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ohh dear... Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
As little as I would like to admit, "I do think that you could have a valid claim. Smile I do think that there could be a possibility of others trying to explain reality before religion but I have not seen all the evidence to support it but this does not mean that it began with religion but you have brought up a good question that might be resolved by a peer review, Did someone mention science? Maybe science came after religion?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:52 pm
@reasoning logic,
rl, You don't explain why Fil has a "valid claim?"

You don't need peer review to "seek truth." You just have to understand the concept.

You are confused; philosophy and science both seeks truth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
Its not big news...Religion is born out of simple symbolic compact forms of explanation (although not limited to it, Spendius would kill me... Laughing ), a response to the very act of thinking and wondering about what is going on around us...its no different from how children start to address their surrounding world...mythology it is a preamble process for organized thought...a 6 month baby doesn't produce any myths or beliefs, but just try and check with a 3 year old...the simplest direct proof is that animals don't have any symptoms of religious transcendent beliefs simply because they lack critical intellectual mass for it...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Quote:
rl, You don't explain why Fil has a "valid claim?"

I am not stating that his claims is completely true but I do have to admit that religion according to it's history has tried very hard to explain the unknown even though it gets most of it wrong but didn't science have these same challenges and continues to in many areas.

His Quote... ...in fact Religion is the first organized attempt to symbolically explain the unknown,
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
...just re read above as it goes straight to the point in a nutshell...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
Religion is but one area of philosophy. Humans have always had questions about our existence - much earlier than any religion.

Religion is probably a natural outcrop from the unknowns of human existence, but that doesn't mean they "studied" any truths about what they believed.

Many cultures believed in the sun god; that doesn't mean they "knew" anything about the sun or studied its source for truth. It was available, and a "natural" outcrop from being ignorant about what it was.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Humans have always had questions about our existence - much earlier than any religion.

Would you care to share this evidence? Don't get me wrong because I think you are correct but don't you think that this is where we get religion from? Sure there is much more to it than that but I thought that I would ask the question regardless.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
No, religion is based on ignorance. Philosophy is about seeking truth.

The evidence is self-explanatory. Explain to me why there are so many different kinds of religions? The christian religion is only two thousand years old. It only proves to me that humans are hungry for religion to hang their hat on to find comfort in some superior being.

Nobody can prove their god(s).
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
No, religion is based on ignorance. Philosophy is about seeking truth.

OK so I think you are correct but at the beginning could they have been seeking truth but sociopaths and delusional thinkers took over from there? Question
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
...he goes by formal boxed definitions like when the supposed great first Religion was significant enough to became part of history "books", records...and that is why he try's to go back before religions formally exist to refute the argument...the fact remains that "religions" meant as local communal beliefs about the world creation reasons and processes are as old as man is, they are an intrinsic part of our mental and historical development...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
They were not seeking truth so much as finding something that they can submit their status as the super animal on planet earth. I think they found that concept to be quite frightening. What better than inventing gods?
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They were not seeking truth, What better than inventing gods?

You do bring up a very good point. That is why I always ask myself if they are being intellectually honest with themselves? but then I look at my love ones like my own mother and I am sure that you have some love ones in your family that you ask yourself "how could these loving people get it so wrong?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:57 pm
Haven't read the entire file, RL, but if nobody has said this yet:

Quote:
what is the beggining of philosophy?

I think it is the letter "p." Lots of people get fooled, because it sounds like "f."
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
Are you wondering about the distinction between rough and sophisticated organized speculation ? Because to me that is mostly the main difference between Religions and Philosophy and sometimes it is not always clear who is being the unsophisticated part...I think you both deserve each other thoughts, I am out... Laughing