what is the beggining of philosophy?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think that you and fido are both good and smart people am I missing something? maybe this thread has shifted into a emotional thread?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
The inclusion of emotion into philosophy only complicates the subject.
spendius

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
If you think ci is smart rl you definitely are missing something.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:21 pm
@spendius,
What is the something that you see? Please explain so that others will be informed as you. Thanks Reasoning Self Logic
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:22 pm
If we admit that we don't really know anything, then we are in a position to learn something. Or, something like that.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:26 pm
@Pemerson,
Your quote: [something like that] Yes I agree as we become arrogant and are not aware of our confirmation biases. Good luck
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 05:51 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

If we admit that we don't really know anything, then we are in a position to learn something. Or, something like that.
True, you can't be a student if you already know everything.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

14-blades; that's size, chum.
You have not bled your first poppy cic... And I have not bled my last.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:05 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

It may be that everything we think we know, and all we accept as knowledge injures our ability to experience life through our senses, first hand, and immediate... How many people go through life on a dead run and find themselves at the end of it all never having asked: How does it feel??? We all know we must know, and if we think about it, what we know, as culture is all most all handed to us fully figured out... We take it on faith, but it is like all those who say life is worth living, and we have the best of all possible economies, or human nature can never change, or our government is perfection; words we must accept as true only so long as we will not feel for ourselves... Knowledge is great, and I have spent my life accumulating knowledge, but only because my true nature is overly emotional, and I needed to mask my emotions to survive... What is everyone else's excuse, because in spite of knowledge I have never been able to get away from asking: Does it feel right, or does the fact feel true... It is the great advantage of women as human beings and even as philosophers that they are emotionally connected as men are not... Men can reason a thing true based upon their knowledge, but for women, it has to feel right, has to makes sense to the organism we are, part of the chain of life...Women's intuition is human intuition that men deny to better endure the cruelty of life and other men....What ever we call knowledge must work for humanity or it is only a more flambouyant ignorance... At some point, if a person would be a philosopher, they must reject all knowledge and live for a time in their senses, as a child, enduring both the joys and tragedies of life anew, and only then, piece by piece with close inspection, allowing knowledge back into consciousness...
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The subject being life, and the object of living a good life cannot possibly be made more complicated... Life is a task we must carry on deprived of all that we must have to carry it through... Were a man blinded, and as Aristotle said, this is the last sense anyone would chose to be deprived of, would you then deprive them of their sense of touch... I have always lived by the braille method, feeling my way through it because every bit of knowledge I have found has only made me conscious of how much left there was to learn... On top of that, to learn anything is to know how certain people once were of their knowledge, so certain in fact that they would kill in defense of knowledge that in the end was proved false and discarded, so that; one learns first to abandon certainty, and live without faith in knowledge, and take only so much of it as proves its own worth...

Learn history... What do we know of history??? IN gross; what happened... We cannot know so much as presume that people have always been people, and as much the victims as the victors in their prejudices... It does not matter then what I say I think I know.... When a human being tells me that what I do out of my certainty is hurting them, then all my knowledge has been proved false, for if we accept the words of the Master, Socrates: then knowledge is good, and we should know the tree by its fruit... Out of good should good grow...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:01 am
@Fido,
You do have a lot of wisdom to share but I do question this but only to a degree.
Your quote: [ It is the great advantage of women as human beings and even as philosophers that they are emotionally connected as men are not... Men can reason a thing true based upon their knowledge, but for women, it has to feel right, has to makes sense to the organism we are, part of the chain of life...Women's intuition is human intuition that men deny to better endure the cruelty of life and other men....]

Not all of us men are the opposite of women when it comes to having emotions. It does apear that there are alot of hateful men and alot of hateful women. I am sorry to here that you have experienced a life full of barbarian type of men that were not able to show strong emotions torward their love ones. There are also barbarian type women.
It seems that Socrate said that if you find a good spouse then you will be happy and if you dont then you will be a philosopher. I think that he may have been meaning that these complications in life can sure get the mind wondering.

Another one of your quotes: [Men can reason a thing true based upon their knowledge]. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that you are also able to do this. Now I do relise that it may be more complex than just these few words as I would hope that both men and women would also use many other things to make a decision. example : how will this effect those around me?

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:15 am
@reasoning logic,
I am one of those barbarian men, mostly because from a very young age I had to shield my emotions from the caprices of other barbarian men... Which is not to say that we do not teach women cruelty, or that is all that unnatural to them... Native Americans women would play catch with the testicles of the enemies while the enemy watched. .. I am not saying they are to kind to survive; only that they are in general, better
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:27 am
@Fido,
Sorry I misunderstood! Your Quote: [but for women, it has to feel right, has to makes sense to the organism we are]
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your post contains repetitive arguments.

If that is true, just ignore the repetitions and address the argument. If you can. And if you understand the argument. The repetitions should not deter you from addressing the argument. If you can, or if you understand the argument. Right?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:45 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Very articulated in my opinion! I will have to stop complementing you all the time as others also need to be complemented. Not that you do not seem to get it correct more often than others but because others have a wild imagination when one is always complementing someone.
Others need to be complemented as well so that they will seem as a part of the group and the subject matter being discussed. But as always I am extremely impressed with your work.

"Complimented"? "Complemented" is a different word with a very different meaning from the one you seem to want.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Have you an example of including emotion into philosophy. I don't know what you mean by that.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:56 am
@kennethamy,
Thanks Kennethamy. It looks as if I need to look up definitions as well as the spelling of words
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
@kennethamy,
To build or not to build the a-bomb; that is the question. To use or not to use the a-bomb; that's the question. To build or not build atomic reactors for power; that is the question. To build a community center/mosque two blocks from ground zero; that is the question.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Have you an example of including emotion into philosophy. I don't know what you mean by that.

As if Love were not essential to the pursuit....
kennethamy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

As if Love were not essential to the pursuit....

But how would it follow from that, that emotion was included in philosophizing? How about an example?