Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

George

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:37 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Was it within the rules?

As long as the ball isn't tossed forward (i.e. it is a lateral pass), yeah.
George

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:41 pm
@George,
But it's a good way to give your coach heart failure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:G_bPLdGpEooW-M:http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/sallypina/Animated-CrowdApplauding.gif&t=1
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:42 pm
@George,
As for why, some times it a desperation play for the offense. They hope that while they run around some receiver can break free of a defender. Often there are players beside the QB capable of throwing a pass.
It can also be used when the offensive team wants to keep the clock running down.
I don't know which was the case in this Tigers' game (inside joke to Ragman).
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:19 pm
FINAL 2010 STANDINGS-
1) Spendius (.660)
2) LiontamerX (.645)
3) Ragman (.637)
4) Panzade (.629)
5) EhBeth (.617)
6) JPB (.616) slips from a tie for 5th
7) Osso (.613)
8) Region (.609) drops from 7th
9) Miz Cowdo (.586)
10) McGentrix (.584) pops up from 13th
11) Cowdoc (.582) advances from 14th
11) JohnBoy
11) AndyClubber
11) CoastalRat dips from 9th
15) Lmur (.563) climbs from 17th
15) Mysteryman rises from 16th
15) Tico
18) Fbaezer (.559)
19) Rhys (.555) drops from 17th
20) Edgar (.553)
21) Jespah (.543)
22) George (.542) is down from 21st
23) Alex (.510)
--) BillW (.675) joined late.

4) The best ESPN expert (.632) slips from 3rd
21) The worst ESPN player (.546) moves up from 22nd.

Congratulations to Spendius for winning for the 2nd year in a row. Aren't you glad I nagged you in to defend your title from last year?
22) Rhys (.
spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
A little bit. But I'm also embarrassed.

But thanks for the entertainment and the stripping bare of the American psyche.

What did coin toss finish?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:29 pm
Congratulations to all who did so well, particularly Sp - Sp - Sp - the guy that came out on top.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:34 pm
Congratulations, Spendi, and to the close runners up.

JohnBoy, you did a wonderful job at what I'm guessing can be a time consuming task. And thank you for your supply of stories to liven up the thread.

Hey, Favre quit again..
ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Congrats to Spendi and all of the participants.

Thank you thank you thank you to JohnBoy. You're a hero.

I'd like to note that women are disproportionately represented in the Top Ten. Gotta wonder what that means Very Happy
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:43 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What did coin toss finish?

CT/CT joined late. If I had a whole lot of time, I could retroactively make picks for all of the games from early in the season. But I am going to move on.
Next year, if I remember, I will include CT from the beginning.
If there is a next year. A certain segment of the population believes that the world will end on May 26th, 2011. Bummer. 5 days before my birthday.
Even if that doesn't happen, there is labor strife between the owners and the players. The rhetoric now is quite strident. I don't know the schedule for serious negotiation; probably in the summer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:53 pm
@ehBeth,
This probably will throw a monkey wrench in some of Spendius' theorizing.
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Denny McLain and Al Kaline were my faves and that Freehan was one hell of a catcher, too.

Women are gereat sports! I only date women who know as much about sports as I do. There's been lots of lonely nights spent with a blow-up doll that has an ESPN sports reporter link-~!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:08 pm
@Ragman,
I have a faint memory that my childhood (and only) baseball bat was an Al Kaline.
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too. I bet you were a hit! And I had an Al Kaline battery. Always kept its charge!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
Congrats to all as we're all winners on this sports bus. Particular congrats go to the highest percentage 2 Cents winner who beat us all!

Once again, kudos goes to John Boy for hearding us cats to the almost-finish line and entertained us with factoids and fun stories.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:38 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I hope to be back for the playoffs.

Ah yes. The playoffs. They start this weekend with the Wild Card games. I did some research on how we played it last year.
First, I see that I started a new thread called something like "The Road To The Super Bowl." The hook I used was that folks who care not a wit about the NFL would not have to stand around the water cooler with a shiteating, frozen smile for the next month. Rather they could say "I have Y and Z fighting it out at the end."
Several players from there ended up joining us on this thread the following year. So it is sort of a farm club. I also note that there have been over 25,000 views of the "Pick-Um" game. That stuns me. 24 players minus Rhys, AndyClubber (not on A2K) equals almost 1,200 views, on average, for each of us over 17 weeks. I can't understand that.
Anyway, I need some help in understanding the play off process. As I see it A & B and C & D will play in the AFC. If A & C win, they will face either E or F, with the match ups being determined (A and C facing either E or F) based on some criteria involving A and C's records.
As I recall, we invited players to "warm up" with meaningless picks in the Wild Card games. And then, I say then, by the next weekend, players would pick all the way through to the end in one sitting.
Any clarification would be appreciated and, if anyone is interested in running aspects of this, please raise your hand(s). Duties can be divided.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Congrats to all as we're all winners on this sports bus.

http://www.berylcook.org/desktopmodules/RetrieveHtmlModuleImages.aspx?imageid=444
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 05:30 pm
I see games between the Jets and the Colts (AFC) on Saturday and the Saints and the Seahawks (NFC) on Sunday. The Ravens go against the Chiefs (AFC) Saturday and the Packers meet the Eagles (NFC) Sunday. Is that correct?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
@realjohnboy,

erm... not quite.

saturday:
Jets @ Colts
Saints @ Seahawks (it's ridiculous that a 7-9 team gets to host an 11-5 team)

sunday:
Ravens @ Chiefs
Packers @ Eagles
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5981573
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
What did I get wrong?