Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:08 pm
Missing only CoastalRat.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Far be it from me to influence you in any way ... but think of Peyton Manning and this being playoff time. Oakland is better then they've been in some time but are they up for beating Indy? Yes, it's played in Oakland.

Hmmm?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:22 pm
@Ragman,
You know the second I switch, Oakland will gain in ability some more.

I'll look at the signs one more time.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:25 pm
I was talking with Rhys today (who plays Fantasy Football). I mentioned that, with only two weeks left some teams may rest players and, perhaps, not try too hard to win if they are already assured a playoff slot with home field advantage. I have no idea which teams might be in that position.
Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
FWIW, the fans are 56% to 43% in favor of Indy winning outright - not that it is the best indicator at this point in the season (playoff positioning and resting of key players).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
OK. CAR wins coin toss, elects to receive. That should do it for them as far as winning for the rest of the night.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I was talking with Rhys today (who plays Fantasy Football). I mentioned that, with
only two weeks left some teams may rest players and, perhaps, not try too hard to
win if they are already assured a playoff slot with home field advantage. I have no
idea which teams might be in that position.

Relatively few this season, I think.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:34 pm
Only Jespah (snicker, snicker) has Carolina. AndyClubber though, a Steeler through and through, worries that Pittsburgh has a tendency to play badly in games they are supposed to win.
JPB

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
I was [] close to picking the Panthers. Just 'cuz.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
That would be a choke of cataclysmic proportions.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
Seriously, the game's in Pitt...but they're minus Polamlau. Uh oh!
George

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:40 pm
@Ragman,
They could bring in someone from The Little Sisters of the Poor and beat the
Panthers (who have no anthers).
Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:41 pm
@George,
Hahahah. Sisters of the Poor comments have been flying in the sports media lately.

"Pittsburgh is used to playing without Polamalu -- he missed 11 games last season with a knee injury -- but the difference he makes is hard to ignore. The Steelers are 14-4 with him over the past two years, allowing 14.8 points per game while producing 41 turnovers. When Polamalu's been out they're 5-7, yielding an average of 23.1 points while totaling 11 takeaways."
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
I was a tad iffy about picking Pitt too, but then I remembered the Panthers.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:04 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
. . . Sisters of the Poor comments have been flying in the sports media lately. . .

About damn time, too!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:05 pm
20-zip at the half.

yawn...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:53 pm
Johnboy, I give up, I switch to Indy...
(gooooooo, Raiders)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:07 am
@realjohnboy,
Please, I almost won last week.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:35 am
@JPB,
Quote:
yawn.

That's understatement JP.

I watched the first half. The Panther's first drive stalled at the Steeler's 32. The Steeler's first drive got a FG. CP's next drive stalled at PS's 30. Not much else happened. First quarter finished. It took 31 minutes.

In the 2nd quarter PS drive stalled. CP's drive got intercepted--TD. CP drive stalled. PS TD next. CP drive stalled. PS FG. 20-0. The half took 91 minutes on my clock. A female came on and explained that the Panthers needed to get more of the ball if they were to get back in the game.

By my reckoning there must have been something like 50-60 minutes of ads in the first half. I turned it off at that point.

The game will never catch on here. Our fans demand 94 minutes end to end action with ads at half time only to give us time to make a brew.

I assume the crowd at Heinz Field were being paid. I would want paying to stand around in those temperatures and be absent from home for 5 or 6 hours to watch so little action.

It must be psychological.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:06 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I would want paying to stand around in those temperatures and be absent from home for 5 or 6 hours to watch so little action.

It must be psychological.

pretty much my view of going to a pub. definitely psychological