Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Manicotti and egg nog, wow - that is some kinda concoction!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 02:58 pm
@BillW,
It was party time..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:36 pm
If I have scored the early games correctly (a big if), Jespah and Spendius are at 8-3 with several others at 7-4.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
It's not right that first to score in OT wins. Getting the ball first is a bigger advantage than getting the arrows at darts in a one leg match.

A question for experts- In OT what distance would a field gold chance be turned down and the ball punted instead. What disadvantage is there in missing a FG attemp compared to punting. All other things being equal which they have already proved to be.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 04:19 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It's not right that first to score in OT wins. Getting the ball first is a bigger advantage than getting the arrows at darts in a one leg match.

A question for experts- In OT what distance would a field gold chance be turned down and the ball punted instead. What disadvantage is there in missing a FG attemp compared to punting. All other things being equal which they have already proved to be.

The rule relating to first to score (we call it "sudden death") has been changed re playoff games. If the 1st team to get the ball scores only a field goal, the other team gets to play on. Statistically, the team to get the ball 1st does not actually win more games. We covered that a year or two ago.

With regards to your 2nd question, it depends on the leg of the kicker (many of whom, by the way, are one time soccer players). 50 yards is max, meaning the line of scrimmage is around the 35 yard line of the defensive team. A missed kick gives the defensive team pretty good field position, needing to pick up a couple or three 1st downs to get themselves into field goal position.
It is better, perhaps, to punt in hopes of pinning down the other team and relying on a strong defense to get the ball back.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Statistically, the team to get the ball 1st does not actually win more games.

In which case why doesn't the team that gets the ball first give it back? Can they punt on a first down if they want? If the first team to go on a drive loses statistically why go on a drive?

Bedtime--I'm knackered. What cheap fun this is.
BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Can they punt on a first down if they want?

Yes, of course it may be the last game that coach, coaches.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:37 pm
Congrats to JohnBoy for page 100. <passes him a sweet tamale>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:41 pm
@BillW,
I'll admit that manicotti didn't look good. Couldn't find a photo I liked. Don't make me cook manicotti again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Holy cow. Happy to share the glory with ya, Mr. British Dude. Smile
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:53 pm
@jespah,
I have Jespah, Mysteryman and Spendius at 10-4. Each of them has the Patriots tonight and the Bears on Monday. A couple of us are at 9-5 but also have NE and Chicago. The battle will be betwixt those three.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:08 pm
So I have this crock pot. I am enjoying using it. Today we are making something involving chicken and cheese. It has been cooking for several hours and smells great.
Later in the week is something involving beans, including Navy beans. I bought a bag of them today at Kroger. The instructions say to "sort them." They all look the same to me. Am I expected to interview them? If so, what do you ask a Navy bean?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
"do you have rocks in your socks?"

I've never seen a bit of rock in all my years of cooking beans.
BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Do navy beans float? or is that just Navy Seals?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:38 pm
What a total disaster this week.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:55 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

What a total disaster this week.

Perhaps, but I, as host of this thread, have had a pretty good week. We heard a bunch of news about cricket that went totally over our heads and we got to see Marlene Dietrich.
I couldn't ask for much more.
BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
A Cricket match takes long time to play to begin with but test cricket is even longer with most test matches scheduled to last 5 days.

Back in the time when your grandfather walked to school, uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow, test matches were scheduled to play to their conclusion.

The longest cricket match was between South Africa and England in Durban, South Africa and began on March 03, 1939 and continued till March 14, 1939, although they did not play on the 5th, 11th or 12th.

Unfortunately England had to catch a boat home on the 15th so after play on the 14th the match was called a draw and both teams went home.

The world's longest cricket match spanned 43 hours and 16 minutes of playing time in which 1,981 runs were scored.

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:26 pm
@BillW,
A half century ago, I had a pet cricket. Crickster lived in an aquarium in my room (without the water, of course).
I am not making this **** up, I assure you. Have I ever made stuff up?
So my very 1st girl friend came over and then she came back and at some point brought over a cat she had found along the road.
We got distracted and the cat killed Crickster.
I know nothing about the game of cricket, but every time I hear it mentioned I think of Crickster.
BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Here is more than I ever cared to know about cricket: