Do you believe all religions are truly one and the same?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:05 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, you said on their toes. Did you mean on their knees?

I stand corrected! (pun intended) :wink:
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
Hey guys
Well first of all I just want to say that I see no one has any real response to my proof. I am just saying that there is more proof.

Fresco, no. "Q" in Qkid does not stand for Qur'an. It stands for Queens which is one of the 5 boroughs of NYC. I live in Queens.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:08 pm
You offered no "proof". You simply call a grouping of logical fallacies "proof" but that does not make it so.

I have, in the past, carped the "proof" and you ignore it and post another screed. Seems like the "proof" is not defensible.
0 Replies

zgreatarteest

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Seems like the "proof" is not defensible.

Bingo
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
zgreatarteest,

That's correct. Attempts to reconcile these beliefs with logic, science and reasoning are not a good idea.

QKid errs in trying to do so.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:35 pm
Do you believe all religions are the same.
No more personal attacks now, how about the topic posted, I find it to be an interesting choice for a topic.

All religions are not the same. Some talk in the world has people believing that Jesus might have gone to the east to study meditation in buddhism. God has said , "I will have no other gods before me" , "I am a jealous God." Although people might believe this it would not be a necessary thing for Jesus to do because he had the holy spirit to teach him and he is the son of God and therefore would not find it necessary to learn about a lower god. The bible states that vain babblings lead to more ungodliness. Repetitive statements are vain babblings as is some of the repetition in catholic speech. Chanting is considered vain babblings. They stupify the mind.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:20 pm
Re: Do you believe all religions are the same.
Ruach wrote:
No more personal attacks now, how about the topic posted, I find it to be an interesting choice for a topic.

All religions are not the same. Some talk in the world has people believing that Jesus might have gone to the east to study meditation in buddhism. God has said , "I will have no other gods before me" , "I am a jealous God." Although people might believe this it would not be a necessary thing for Jesus to do because he had the holy spirit to teach him and he is the son of God and therefore would not find it necessary to learn about a lower god. The bible states that vain babblings lead to more ungodliness. Repetitive statements are vain babblings as is some of the repetition in catholic speech. Chanting is considered vain babblings. They stupify the mind.

Ruach,
When speaking of vain babblings you might consider that the pot should not call the kettle black. Repetative statements are not the the only source of vain babblings. Your previous post is about as much condensed babble as I have seen.
0 Replies

zgreatarteest

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:03 pm
Acts 17:18
And also some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers were conversing with him. Some were saying, "What would this idle BABBLER wish to say?" Others, "He seems to be a proclaimer of strange deities,"--because he
was preaching Jesus and the resurrection.

1 Chorinthians 1:20
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:48 pm
Upon further research, I guess I AM a Unitarian Universalism. My views are diverse and uncertain but I don't buy into any of the mainstream religions.
0 Replies

zgreatarteest

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:24 am
Neither do I. Christianity is not a religion. Many people do still strive at their very best to make one out of it. The difference being that all religions are about man trying to embrace a god or the God. Christianity, on the
other hand, is God trying to embrace man. Nominal Christians even have trouble grasping this truth. They insist on inserting some kinds of religious traditional twists to complicate the simple Gospel of Jesus Christ with mundane rules and regulations. Satan is as alive and well in trying to
manipulate and distort what Christ came for. Yes, even in some "so called"
Christian churches. Christ came not to do away with the law, but to fulfil it
for us. To set us free from trying to keep a religious law that was impossible for us to do. Plainly put, the Old Testament is about a religious
relationship with God where He had to work with us from the outside in. The New Testament is about our freedom from religion bought with a price for us by God. This allows Him to work with us from the inside out. To
open a way to be able to come inside us and change our hearts(spirit). He
could then come live within us instead of around us. When we are changed on the inside, the outside will change itself. The age of Grace began.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:25 am
But you haven't proved that Christ was anything but just another human being. Because you can't. Because you can't prove that a pile of superstitious drivel is anything but what it is.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:31 am
Qkid

Thanks for the "Q". I merely ask because you refer to the Qu'ran as "the word of God" elsewhere.

With respect to this question perhaps I might ask you to explain why the Sunni's and the Shi'ites are at each others throats (which of course parallels Protestants and Catholics etc). Do you not think that this is due to a simplistic interepretation of "religion", and if so, is that not the ultimate fate of of all "religion" ....to invent some version of "faith" in order to answer questions we do not understand ? This invention then becomes "divine authority" by assuming the answer to the question "who put the words in his mind ?". I put it to you that your own usage of the word "proof" is in fact just as simplistic in any discussion of faith, since the layman's idea of "proof" no longer has currency in the scientific world.

To All,

My comments to Qkid are valid for anybody evoking the words "proof" or "evidence" in this debate. Wilso puts the case that the "similarity of (organized) religions" lies in their intellectual worthlessness. I agree with him but this is only one aspect. The issue in this question is about the psychological and political aspects of making the case for a "unified faith", since religions are also "similar" in their functionality within group dynamics. They form a basis for social cohesion and self perception.

From the premise that man is a social animal, the group (politics) overrides individual needs (psychological security) and it is not usually "in the interests" of the group to negotiate the tenets of their faith. On the other hand person to person relationships often involve daily transactions across group boundaries and hence for expediency we have the "play nice" scenario of inter-faith "outward respect for the other".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:53 am
It boggles my mind that modern humans would continue to buy into the nonsense that currently passes for "religion."

Superstition is superstition -- and should never be disgusised with words like "belief" or "religion."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
Frank

Don't you think people buy out of not into religion/superstition ? Thats where the real effort lies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:55 am
Something that continues to amuse and astonish me is how frantic Christians and Moslems are to get the rest of us frightened enough to fall in line with their faith system. The good prselytizer/bad proseltyzer approach must be pretty effective on the weak of mind, since it is the most common tool used.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:02 am
fresco wrote:
Frank

Don't you think people buy out of not into religion/superstition ? Thats where the real effort lies.

Not sure of what you mean here, Fresco.

I'd like to comment on it though -- as it has an intriguing sound.

Could you flesh it out a bit.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:23 am
truth
I forgot about this thread, but see that it has been developing nicely. The general level of discussion is quite high.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
zgreatartteest, in your recent answer, "(Except, I know God is saddened with those who refuse His love.)"

I agree that the correct word is sad, when God does lose a soul. And there is 2 sides to Christian belief. One it is not the desire that any one will perish, it is Gods desire that everyone receive eternal salvation.
Two, The heart of a person who is stiff necked and hard hearted is burdensome. What more can God do other than take the persons freewill away and leave no choice for the person. He cannot do that because then all mankind would loose their freewill to choose. The wrath of God waxes over like a candle , layer upon layer until there is no more room for patience.
For people who mock God there will be a proverbial slap in the face in the tribulation, to get their attention. His patience will have run out and what remains is his wrath.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
As to the original question, Buddhism, except as corrupted by western influences in places like California, is much more humane than the Christians or Muslims. They don't engage in brainwash techniques, fear mongering, etcetera, to get you to see their point. One need not believe in a god to be a Buddhist.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
Ruach wrote:
zgreatartteest, in your recent answer, "(Except, I know God is saddened with those who refuse His love.)"

I agree that the correct word is sad, when God does lose a soul. And there is 2 sides to Christian belief. One it is not the desire that any one will perish, it is Gods desire that everyone receive eternal salvation.

In the mythology that is your religion, your god does not "lose" a soul -- your god "condemns to Hell" the souls of people who will not suck up to him sufficiently. And in Hell, what your god supposedly does to those condemned souls is subject them to excruciating torture throughout all the rest of eternity.

In the mythology that is your religion, your god is not a loving god -- your god is a goddam raving, sadistic lunatic.

You are correct in one thing, though. The "correct word is sad."

It is very, very sad that people like you actually buy into, and spew, all this nonsense.

Quote:
Two, The heart of a person who is stiff necked and hard hearted is burdensome. What more can God do other than take the persons freewill away and leave no choice for the person. He cannot do that because then all mankind would loose their freewill to choose. The wrath of God waxes over like a candle , layer upon layer until there is no more room for patience.
For people who mock God there will be a proverbial slap in the face in the tribulation, to get their attention. His patience will have run out and what remains is his wrath.

Barf!!!
0 Replies