What's the most exotic language you speak or have studied?

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Well, for the man seeking to woo a Hebrew woman, the ultimate romantic line is "Can I draw you a mikvah?"
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
What on Earth is mikvah?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
And the most romantic place to meet your first love must be a bar/bat mitsvah right? :wink:
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
A mikvah is a ritual bath for Jewish women, if I'm correct (right cavfancier?)
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
Bar mitzvah is not a place, it's a ceremony:))))
So, you mean, he takes her to the bath on the first day?!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
Sorry, I forgot the word 'AT a bar/bat mitsvah'. And OK, maybe I should have used something else instead of 'place'.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
No, hon, it's alright, only... he takes her to the bath? I still cannot get over the shock.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
A mikvah is a ritual bath for Jewish women, if I'm correct (right cavfancier?)

Yeah. The suggestion was similar to someone who speaks another language saying to you "Go over there and say ...... to that woman. It means I think you're pretty." Then you go and do it, get slapped, they all laugh and you find out that the real meaning is something like "You have fine boobs", or "you mother is a leper." Laughing
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
No, no. Here you can see what a mikvah actually is.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
The 'no, no' was meant for Maggie5554515 btw.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
http://jew.dp.ua/english/mikva.htm

The ritual is tied to the ancient tradition of shunning women while on their menstrual cycle. The mikvah is essentially a ritual cleansing in preparation for marital sex. Most modern Jewish women find this an offensive, sexist tradition. Some have found solace in the ritual as a 'women's only' spiritual growth activity. It's all quite confusing.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
It seems we are both fan of Google :wink:
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
Oh, good. So, they actually don't date there and cavfancier just wanted to woo me. Okay, i'll be able to sleep tonight.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:36 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
It seems we are both fan of Google :wink:

I think so. I've been Jewish all my life and have yet to encounter a Jewish woman who has been to a mikvah.

If I was out to woo Maggie, I would have suggested a regular bath, scented, with candles and champagne. Mikvah as wooing indeed...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
Well I bet some Lubavitcher women would be really charmed cav Mr. Green
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
Is it that Mikvot are not offered by many synagogues, or that most people see this as being outdated?

Oh, I wish that I could speak Armenian, (or Bulgarian, even,) Maggie; I'm moving to Armenia soon, to live there, and the resources for learning Armenian over here are absolutely awful. Is the grammar very difficult (in both languages?) When did you learn them (or are you a native speaker?)

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:43 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Well I bet some Lubavitcher women would be really charmed cav Mr. Green

Laughing Perhaps, but that damn sheet with the hole in it is a real turn-off.

Drom, I think most 'progressive' Jews find the ritual outdated, but it is certainly still offered by Orthodox synagogues all over. There are many resources on the internet regarding where it is availible.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
Well, i'm a native speaker of Bulgarian. I got a little bit of Armenian around my friends. By the way, on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca they have audio lessons in Armenian... Well, they probably got much more, but i haven't really searched.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
It's an unusual ceremony, all right. What would you say the ratio is of 'progressive' to 'orthodox' Jews?

I've always been interested in Eastern-European languages, Maggie. Does Bulgarian have declensions, like Romanian? (And thanks for the tip about Armenian! I'll have to check them out now.)

0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
It has, just like Russian and German, only not so many... And it hardly has any influence at all. I don't have an idea about Rumanian. I understand some bits of Rumanian, cause it's rather close to Italian, but i don't have a hint about its grammar.
0 Replies