Critical thinking and political matters.

Ahab

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:42 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Do you see how you just contradicted yourself?

I don't think he is able to at this point. He is, unfortunately, setting a classic example of how difficult it can sometimes be to critically examine poliltical issues.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:48 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

I don't think he is able to at this point. He is, unfortunately, setting a classic example of how difficult it can sometimes be to critically examine poliltical issues.

I am encouraged that he has some valid reason for posting and that others are able to take a lesson in how not to apply critical thinking.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Since, as you have just said, I (and others) have the right to express our disapproval of the mosque, and since that disapproval, along with other legal measures, may prevent the building of the mosque on that site, it follows that I (and others) do have the right to prevent the building of the mosque. And of course, we do. Just as the builders have the right to build it. I think that you, like many, are still confused by the distinction between having a right, and whether it is right to exercise that right. I think that what you wanted to say is that although I have the right to express my disapproval, I was not right to express my disapproval. Now, isn't that what you really want to say?

Well, i am now way too hungover to rant at you at appropriate length, but i am afraid that, it seems to me, that it is you that confuse the difference between a right and whether an act is right.

Just as there is a difference between critical political thinking and slandering a president, just as there is a difference between interpreting a set of remarks and misrepresenting them, there is a difference between expressing an opinion and employing words as an aggressive act.

You have every right to come onto a web forum and express your unease with a given situation. While i might disagree with that position, i don't have any moral objection to your making your position and feelings clear. On the other hand, when you (that's the collective "you" that includes others) don't open a dialogue with the people with whom you disagree, but instead make statements directed at and appealing to the nebulous public inviting them to interfere with the actions of the people with whom you disagree whether those actions have any effect on their lives or not, that goes beyond expressing an opinion. Your words become an act of rabble-rousing and take the form of an implicit threat to those you disagree with. (How's that as an example of alcohol induced grammatical ridiculousness?) i don't approve of it, but i can't help but appreciate the irony involved in the infamous rhetorical device of starting a fight by accusing someone of being an aggressor.

Ken, the fact of the matter is that your expressed disapproval is not enough to interfere with the building of the mosque, it is these "other legal measures" that will have to do the job. If the opponents of the mosque were to go before a judge and make the case that the mosque shouldn't be built because it hurts their feelings or offends their sensibilities, i don't think that the judge would be much persuaded, do you? i'm pretty sure that is not a method that's likely to succeed. No, the far more likely means to succeed are to make a big fuss about the build, hem and haw about permits and zoning issues, and talk the issue to death, so that finally the people that want to build the mosque there either run out of money or give up and go spend their money elsewhere. Sound about right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:45 am
@Intrepid,
I do not believe kenneth has any concept of logic. He's one confused dude!

Many christians have committed crimes in the US; that will prevent them from building any church. Tim McVeigh was a catholic.

DUH!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:59 am
This is the most ironically named thread in a long time here at A2K.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:09 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
In a democracy, citizen always have not only the right to express their views, but in most circumstance should be allowed to exercise that right.

Really? I think you shouldn't be saying anything and if enough of us agree then you should just shut up. Wow.. that's easy. And it didn't really interfere with your rights.

Of course, we should point out that you are a serial liar, you helped George Bush crash planes into the WTC towers and given the opportunity you would be willing to molest children. But, you know, we are just discussing it on the off chance you might change your mind. You still have your rights after all.

Right you are. Just telling me to shut up did not interfere with any of my rights. Did you think that it did? Now, of course, defamation of character either by libel or by slander is against the law, but not because it interferes with any rights, but because it is harmful to others. Does that clear matters up for you?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Well, maybe if you (or someone) could explain the alleged contradiction in some coherent way, I might learn something. Go. The line, you don't understand, because if you did understand, you would agree with me, and you don't agree with me, was old and grew hairs when it was used by the Sophists many thousands of years ago. What is mildly surprising is that people like you are still trying it, and expecting rhetorical mileage from it.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:20 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
And, of course, if that cannot settle the conflict, then if the two parties feel strongly enough, they may have to go to the courts. I hope you can get that.

But if they go to court, it will be a Constitutional issue. You argued that it had nothing to do with the Constitution and now you introduce it as the final solution.

Courts decide on matters other than constitutional matters. Whether I owe money to a physician may go to a court, but that is hardly a constitutional matter. Only the U.S. Supreme Court decides only constitutional issues. You are welcome, you need not thank me for this civics lesson.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:23 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Since I did not, I do not. Hit and run remark: you say I contradicted myself by asking a loaded question, and then, before explaining how I did, off you zoom into the night. Hit and run.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:24 am
@kennethamy,
But religious freedom is a Constitutional matter.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:33 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Ahab wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

"Offended by the building?" Your use of emotion (offended) to determine its rightness or wrongness is where you miss the total issue as it concerns this particular topic. That some people are offended that Muslims wish to build a mosque two blocks away from ground zero is based in bigotry; there's no other explanation. Nobody would have complained if they were planning to build a catholic church on that same site.

Were you addressing this to kennethamy?
I agree with you that nobody woud would have complained if Caotholics or Protestants or Jews were building at the same site. That is why kennethamy's claim that the constitutional right to practice one's religion is a red herrring in this dispute is false. This is a clear case of religious discrimination.

If Jews or Catholics had been the ones who committed the 9/11 atrocity, then there certainly would have been complaints about their building on that site. Therefore, you have no reason (on that ground) to think that this present case is one of religious discrimination.

The Muslims that are building on this site did not commit those atrocities. You are restricting their right to practice their religion becasue other Muslims committed those atrocities. Clear case of religious discrimination.

Using your logic we shold restrict all Catholic buildings from being constructed near schools because of the all the child molestations committed by Catholic priests.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the religious issue, but with what group of people (or any religion) who do dastardly things, and the symbolism of that site as associated with those dastardly people.

Perhaps you could clarify this? Why are you associating the construction of some religious buildings with dastardly people? Looks like you are discriminating against them on the basis of their religion to me.

The dastardly people were the terrorists. The construction is a symbol which many people believe justifies what the terrorists did, and defies those who have been harmed by the terrorists. Had the terrorists been Scientologists, or Mormons, it would have been the same thing. If they had been Shriners or Elks, it would have been the same thing. How simple can I make it for you? I am cudgeling my brains, and I cannot see how to simplify it for you. I am already closing in on being simplistic. Look, I'll go the other way: for you to think that my argument of view discriminates against religion is clearly to commit the fallacy of accident. Here is an opportunity to learn a little logic. Don't blow it.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/accident.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:35 am
@kennethamy,
What you are saying is not logical; you want to blame all Muslims for what a few did. There are over six million Muslims in the US.

What's your bigoted excuse for such thinking?
0 Replies

Ahab

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

parados wrote:

Quote:
And, of course, if that cannot settle the conflict, then if the two parties feel strongly enough, they may have to go to the courts. I hope you can get that.

But if they go to court, it will be a Constitutional issue. You argued that it had nothing to do with the Constitution and now you introduce it as the final solution.

Courts decide on matters other than constitutional matters. Whether I owe money to a physician may go to a court, but that is hardly a constitutional matter. Only the U.S. Supreme Court decides only constitutional issues. You are welcome, you need not thank me for this civics lesson.

Constitutional issues normally start off in lower courts and work their way up to the Supreme Court.
If those opposing this construction were to take this to court it would end up in the Supreme Court for it is a clear case of religious discrimination.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:56 am
@Ahab,
Don't you get it? He would deny any religion from building a church, if the terrorist belonged to that faith.

He totally ignores the Constitution by doing so, but that's okay, because he says so. It doesn't matter that the majority belonging to any church are all innocent of the dastardly deed; they must all pay the price.

That's logic to him.
Ahab

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

The dastardly people were the terrorists. The construction is a symbol which many people believe justifies what the terrorists did, and defies those who have been harmed by the terrorists.

People are free to believe whatever they wish. What your point boils down to is that you support prohibiting a faith community from practicing its faith because some people take offense at it.
The construction of a Muslim community center or of a Mosque is simply an expression of their religious faith.

Quote:

Had the terrorists been Scientologists, or Mormons, it would have been the same thing. If they had been Shriners or Elks, it would have been the same thing.

It would indeed be just as bigoted to claim that their religious buildings symbolize terroism simply because some terroists were Scientologists or Mormons.

You really don't understand this quite simple point, do you?

Quote:

How simple can I make it for you? I am cudgeling my brains, and I cannot see how to simplify it for you. I am already closing in on being simplistic.

What is need here is not simplicity but rationality. It is quite lacking in your presentation on this particular thread.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Adam and Eve got kicked out of paradise over one lousy sin so I guess the rest of us have all suffered for that sin for, what 5000 years. Its just a common religious theme.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Courts decide on matters other than constitutional matters. Whether I owe money to a physician may go to a court, but that is hardly a constitutional matter.

Of course courts decide other things than constitutional matters. I never said they didn't.
This is NOT a case of owing money to a physician. This is a case that would be preventing the building of a mosque. It is a religious issue and that makes it a constitutional issue. No matter how you try to claim it isn't about religion the courts won't see it any differently.

Quote:
Only the U.S. Supreme Court decides only constitutional issues. You are welcome, you need not thank me for this civics lesson.
Why should I thank you for something you got wrong.

The USSC is the final appeal for all matters concerning law, not just for those concerning the constitution. I could be wrong but you would have to identify the specific constitutional issue in the following cases from a few of last years USSC rulings.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1322.pdf
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-810.pdf
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-586.pdf
Ahab

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't you get it? He would deny any religion from building a church, if the terrorist belonged to that faith.

He totally ignores the Constitution by doing so, but that's okay, because he says so. It doesn't matter that the majority belonging to any church are all innocent of the dastardly deed; they must all pay the price.

That's logic to him.

He is actually making a good example of why it is so important to have religous freedom protected by our Constitution.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Since I did not, I do not. Hit and run remark: you say I contradicted myself by asking a loaded question, and then, before explaining how I did, off you zoom into the night. Hit and run.

Bullshit. When I take the time to make a post that deals directly with what you say, you ignore it and do not answer. You do answer on something like this so I must assume that you are unable to answer my other posts because you have no reasonable answer and I must be correct in my assessments.

Loaded question? Whatever you say, Kenney. You contradict yourself all over the place and you want me to explain it to you. Others have taken great pains to try and point out your foibles and you ignore them and carry on as if you were the critical thinker of the ages.

Frankly, I think you are a waste of time.
0 Replies

Ahab

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Courts decide on matters other than constitutional matters. Whether I owe money to a physician may go to a court, but that is hardly a constitutional matter.

Of course courts decide other things than constitutional matters. I never said they didn't.
This is NOT a case of owing money to a physician. This is a case that would be preventing the building of a mosque. It is a religious issue and that makes it a constitutional issue. No matter how you try to claim it isn't about religion the courts won't see it any differently.

Quite right. And that is why he had to claim in the OP that the right to freedom of religion is a red herring.

Is there a fallacy of claiming something to be a red herring when it really isn't a red herring?