Critical thinking and political matters.

panzade

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
fair enough
0 Replies

Ahab

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The point kennethamy is trying to make is that it is immoral to build the mosque, not that it is illegal to build the mosque.

I see nothing immoral about a group of Muslims putting up these building a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. Why on earth would that be immoral?

And the heading of this thread indicates that his intent here is to apply critical thinking to a political issue. He should have titled it "The immorality of building a mosque near Ground Zero" or something like that if his intent was to make this a moral issue.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:48 pm
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

I see nothing immoral about a group of Muslims putting up these building a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. Why on earth would that be immoral?

And the heading of this thread indicates that his intent here is to apply critical thinking to a political issue. He should have titled it "The immorality of building a mosque near Ground Zero" or something like that if his intent was to make this a moral issue.

he would have found it difficult to maintain his internet persona if he would have claimed that the thread was about morals instead of logic.
Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:57 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

That's a stretch Thomas...let's try another tack.
Quote:
“In his letter, McVeigh said he was an agnostic but that he would "improvise, adapt and overcome", if it turned out there was an afterlife. "If I'm going to hell," he wrote, "I'm gonna have a lot of company." His body is to be cremated and his ashes scattered in a secret location.”

Thanks for correcting my error.

So, an agnostic, huh. Bertrand Russell was an agnostic too. Would it be acceptable to build a Bertrand Russell museum two blocks from the Oklahoma City memorial?

EDIT: Cicerone Imposter, thanks for correcting the correction.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Who's standard of "immoral" are we using?

Kennethamy is using kennethamy's standard of immoral.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm in complete agreement.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:59 pm
@Ahab,
Quote:

According to kennethamy, it would be immoral for the reason he has posted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:08 pm
@Thomas,
Bertrand Russell was an agnostic

Not to derail the thread, not to be nitpicky, but I read an essay by Russell titled Why I Am an Atheist.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay, edgar, which is it; agnostic or atheist?
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not to derail the thread, not to be nitpicky, but I read an essay by Russell titled Why I Am an Atheist.
I think he was an atheist who would turn agnostic if pressed. This does tie into politics and critical thinking, but by way of a loopy trail by my reckoning.

I haven't read that essay though. Do you have a link by any chance?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:30 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

Again, red herring. No one has ever said that, and the fact that they are Muslims is no part of the argument against building the mosque. If you had substituted for "but they are Muslims" the words, "but it is a mosque" then that would be a part of the argument. But that they are Muslims has nothing to do with it.

Muslims have nothing to do with a mosque? That has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever seen Kennie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:33 pm
@parados,
That's because you don't understand who builds most churches in this world. Mr. Green
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:36 pm
@parados,
I am curious how you can make this statement if it has nothing to do with the Muslim faith Ken
Quote:
It is a mosque, a symbol of their faith. And it was on account of that faith that 9/11 occurred.

Muslims practice the muslim faith.
Mosques are symbols of the muslim faith

But somehow you are trying to argue that being muslim has nothing to do with a symbol of their faith?

Really ken? That is absurd beyond belief.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
@parados,
kenny wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is a mosque, a symbol of their faith. And it was on account of that faith that 9/11 occurred.

Let's bring that back full circle and see what we find when we apply that same standard to American christianity.

I'm sure kenny won't be able to "see it."
Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't think Russell ever wrote an essay of that title; at least, a Google search for it doesn't find any. Are you sure the essay you read wasn't titled Why I am not a Christian? Whatever they're telling you in Texas, "not a Christian" isn't synonymous with "atheist".

My own source on Russell's beliefs is his essay Am I An Atheist Or An Agnostic? His answer is that both terms apply to him, depending on the context in which the question is asked.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

he would have found it difficult to maintain his internet persona if he would have claimed that the thread was about morals instead of logic.

Can't say that I have seen much of either. When his logic is questioned. He chooses to ignore those who question him.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

The above is not an example of critical thinking. 9/11 didn't occur because of Islam. 9/ll did not occur for the sake of Islam. 9/11 occurred for the sake of the agenda of the perpetrators of 9/11. 9/11 occurred because the perpetrators thought that flying airplanes into their selected targets would create a strong impression in regard to their agenda.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
And they succeeded in more ways than they ever imagined. If they could learn how Americans have been split because of this subject, they would laugh in their beer. Bless Allah.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Can't say that I have seen much of either. When his logic is questioned. He chooses to ignore those who question him.

I suppose its alright, I ignore people all the time. Best way for me to stay out of a conversation that doesn't interest me while staying in the ones that do.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

kenny wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let's bring that back full circle and see what we find when we apply that same standard to American christianity.

I'm sure kenny won't be able to "see it."

Easy.
Isn't a church a symbol of Christianity, and a synagogue a symbol of Judaism? So that is one reason (but not the only reason) neither churches or synagogues are allowed in Saudi Arabia or in most other Arab countries; not at all, and not only near a site where Christians or Jews did something horrendous . Can you just see a web site in Saudi Arabia where a heavy debate was going on about whether a Catholic church should be built in Mecca. There could be no such debate, since anyone who took the affirmative in such a debate would wake up dead the next morning.