I buried a very dear friend today

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:16 pm
He was the second last of a tontine in which I, now the last one, the heir to stories from a rich estate of memories ,have no one to provide the color and verity needed to make outrageous lifetales believable to those kind enough to stand there and let me babble on
. He was younger than I, a real extreme life devotee. He could have taught Evel Knievel the proper seating posture when jumping several cars while totally stoned.
He was a Viet NAm hero, awarded a silver star for valor and then he gave the medal away cause he was done with it and its'stupidass" meaning. He cared for everyone and he feared noone. His favorite expression always involved kicking the **** out of someone, but, later, upon closer consideration, hed buy a round for the persons and wed make a whole new string in our lattice "network. Manytimes wed bring these new friends to my house and surprise my then wife.
He was too much with his life of , what he called slow- dancing to his grave.Hed been married two times and gotten neither right. This left him lonely and there was nothing i could do about it.When I grew up and married again We tried connecting him many times.These , more often than not, became the sources of even more outrageous tales and lies about how I "fixed him up with this girl from Stanford who couldnt even name a single NAscar driver" Yeh he was a bit of a Red Zoner, by rights We should have always butted heads over our divegrant views on everything from food to politics but he always ended it by putting me in my place witha piece of logic that was impossible to counter.
So with all his lifes travails he decided to speed up living a bit by driving into a stone wall at high speed.The autopsy said he was drunk, but thats not an adequate answer, its way too simplistic.
We both lost another friend by suicide just 2 years ago.I thought that we both got over it together by telling tales of the 3 of us and how wed blow lots of time's capital by really stupid , and many cases, simple minded acts that today wed all
agree were quite improper when measured on ascale where acts of Homer Simpson were a statistical norm.we both convinced ourselves that it wasnt our fault and we had no way of knowing. I still havent convinced myself, now this

Long agoMy friend got me to quit drinking and to terminte my dissipate living by , once getting me through detox, himself submitting to the "program" so we could do it together and then later brag about it to my colleagues and his buddies in a card game. Apparently it tookwell for me but not for him, he must have remained acloset fan of Jack.I was too busy plodding along in my own lifes lane that I never really looked over whenever he was in town to visit to see that he was, apparently hurting badly, and worse , he was drinking more than I could remember.
God but I cant believe hes gone

It was really a great service, he would have really
loved it.They made us buy a coffin to cremate him in, I got into a heated argument with the funeral service , I didnt think hed expect me to take their **** without a decent fight. I lost, apparently its some law that you have to be in a box before theyll stoke you. ANyway We spilled a pitcher on his ashes as we tossed them on a place at my farm and as they played taps, I lost it really good.
Please dont comment , I just needed to tell someone and my wife was too close to us both. She would often make me pitch im out of the house because, drunk as hell, he was scaring the kids with his imitations of ancient rockers , and all i did was encourage him.right now Im overcompensating by following everybody in my family to see that theyre all right and are full of life and eagerly preparing for the future. Im really scared,like Im a death angel . I need to hug my wife and kids and hold them close
God Im gonna miss im. He was my real rudder, he was the strong one of we three . He was Captain AMerica, I was Skipper. I was privileged to have such a friend. I now have just one other close friend remaining, from another of my journeys and Im afraid to go and smother him with some stupid shows of concern and affection. I never thought all these friends could be taken before my eyes.
I am not gonna handle old age well. I now undesrtand that the concept of hell is ,alive while seeing those you love, around you, dying , and theres not a damn thing you can do except watch and cry it out and sadly remember theri lives and their connection with yours

After the service today I bought a bottle of Tangueray and Im sitting here with it . I cracked it and poured one drink and Im lookin at it . It will sure quiet alot of crying in me. boy Tangueray has gone up in price in twelve years.
Thanks for listening. This is a letter I would have written and filed years ago, but I want him to be remembered like the folks in "Our Town" I want there to be heaven for him and the first gone.
Ill probably toss the Tangueray and give the remain der of the bottle to my neighbor. MAybe theyll have some coffee as I bother them tonight. Wee ya later
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,011 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:38 pm
F-ck you and you're 'don't comment' crap.
I feel for you and for your lost friend and you can't shut me up.

It's always the toughest luck that makes us better. You were a great friend, that's right up there with great father and great husband so it's okay by me if you cry your heart out till you wake up tomorrow in the new fallen snow. He'll still be gone but you will have honored him and his life with your sorrow. He gave away his Silver Star, he can never give away the better badge of honor, a friend's grief for a man dying too soon.

Pray for one thing, man, that someone cries out as loudly when you go.

hey.

Joe
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:42 pm
Thanks for breaking the ice, Joe. The farmerman wrote this wonderful eulogy and we aren't allowed to comment! Bah.

I wish that I had friends like that, farmerman. Be glad that you did/do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:47 pm
Farmerman, you have my sympathy. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:16 pm
thank you, I didnt mean to sound rude , I just had to yell it out somewhere . Thanks.
He hated snow, couldnt ride his bike.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:20 pm
You didn't sound rude exactly.

Ya having snow down in PA?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:21 pm
preface: haven't been here very long....have seen some of your posts....have liked said posts.. preface done..

That was so beautiful I had to wipe my eyes. the enotion and feelings of both love and grief are so great in your eulogy, I simply know that your friend couldn't have asked for better. Joe is right - we should all pray the lamentations over our demise should be as loud and as sincere and as filled with life as that...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:27 pm
farmerman ~ I'm with Joe and littlek. If ya don't want to see what we have to say, then don't read it.

I would like to believe your friend is proving you wrong right now by riding his bike in the snow.....and plowing up snow flares as he zig-zags down the road ~ he may not have been able to do it in life, but he's doing it now.

And that man is smiling.

He's smiling for you, too. For being his friend. He knows what you're going through and he's remembering a conversation ~ because ya'll talked about this at one time. Remember that conversation.

Live your life. For you as well as your friends who are no longer here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:29 pm
That was beautiful Rae!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:30 pm
P. S. farmerman ~ I'm sorry for your loss.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:45 pm
Brought tears to my eyes.

Best wishes to you.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:50 pm
Farmerman...

What beautiful words.......what wonderful memories you have of your friend. I'm sorry for your loss...........
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:57 pm
I think you should go down to the roadhouse and beat the crap out of someone in his honor.

Heda probably done it for you...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:34 pm
Pretty much what everyone said.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:42 pm
farmerman

I read your words & felt your sense of loss keenly. That such a good friend should choose to go the way he did is very, very sad for you. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:03 pm
I have tears in my eyes, too...as much at Joe's reply as at farmerman's eulogy. Oh God, is there anything more important in life than having people who love us?

I don't care if he had two bad marriages, if he drank too much, or if he scared the kids. In the end, what matters most is that he had a friend like farmerman, for whom life will not be the same after he is gone. He left his mark on the world...and it is on someone's heart. None of us can do better than that.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:54 pm
Farmerman
Farmerman, tears running down my cheeks at the pain you are feeling. I understand living longer than your friends and being angry that they deserted you too soon.

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:06 am
Farmerman - a credit to your friend
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:56 am
Farmerman
You have my deepest sympathies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:38 am
Tract
by William Carlos Williams (somehow seems vaguely appropriate - sorry if it is not - and love to you, Farmerman.)

I WILL teach you my townspeople
how to perform a funeral
for you have it over a troop
of artists--
unless one should scour the world--
you have the ground sense necessary.

See! the hearse leads.
I begin with a design for a hearse.
For Christ's sake not black--
nor white either--and not polished!
Let it be weathered--like a farm wagon--
with gilt wheels (this could be
applied fresh at small expense)
or no wheels at all:
a rough dray to drag over the ground.

Knock the glass out!
My God--glass, my townspeople!
For what purpose? Is it for the dead
to look out or for us to see
how well he is housed or to see
the flowers or the lack of them--
or what?
To keep the rain and snow fom him?
He will have a heavier rain soon:
pebbles and dirt and what not.
Let there be no glass--
and no upholstery, phew!
and no little brass rollers
and small easy wheels on the bottom--
my townspeople what are you thinking of?
A rough plain hearse then
with gilt wheels and no top at all.
On this the coffin lies
by its own weight.

No wreaths please--
especially no hot house flowers.
Some common memento is better,
something he prized and is known by:
his old clothes--a few books perhaps--
God knows what! You realize
how we are about these things
my townspeople--
something will be found--anything
even flowers if he had come to that.
So much for the hearse.

For heaven's sake though see to the driver!
Take off the silk hat! In fact
that's no place at all for him--
up there unceremoniously
dragging our friend out to his own dignity!
Bring him down--bring him down!
Low and inconspicuous! I'd not have him ride
on the wagon at all--damn him--
the undertaker's understrapper!
Let him hold the reins
and walk at the side
and inconspicuously too!

Then briefly as to yourselves:
Walk behind--as they do in france,
seventh class, or if you ride
Hell take curtains! Go with some show
of inconvenience; sit openly--