Nobody call me at 11:40am today, okay?

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
@Caroline,
No, only for jobs that would potentially fit me and my age (I'm 59), and the ones where I have somewhat of a shot of getting.

In my mind, there's no point in trying to go for a job that requires a certain skill set that I don't have. There's always a gadzillion people applying.

I have to be realistic, otherwise I'd really get depressed.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:44 pm
@Reyn,
Four months seems long Reyn but it's not, it can take time to find a job. It is hard but it'll come. Best of luck to you.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:45 pm
@Reyn,
Oh, I'm sorry, Reyn.
But we don't know for certain, so you can't be 100% sure on that.
I'm hoping, if someone else did get the job as you suspect, that they had to leave the country in a great rush! Wink
And that you are next on the list! Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@Caroline,
hehe, April of 2009, not 2010.

Olga:
haha, We can only hope!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
@Caroline,
A year and four months..

I sympathize, Reyn. To me, 59 is young, and you are a good worker. Someone will catch on to this.

I think you may be able in small business. You are swell at typing coherent thoughts in a mannerly way online. What is my point? I'd look around - besides what you are doing - at something that involves some office work.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh really, sorry my mistake.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I think 59 is young, too. Wink It's become obvious though that if I stack myself next to someone with the same sets of skills, the younger person will get chosen.

I wouldn't mind doing some office work. I seem to remember, at some point, applying for a couple, but no luck.

I think there are a lot more women with more skills than myself who get these jobs.

I was quite disappointed recently when I didn't get a call for an interview for a full time dishwashing job at an assisted-living facility. I have experience, too, in a same setting.

And so it goes on. I think there's just a lot of people applying for these jobs. For example, I was quite surprised that about 150 applied for this egg inspector one. It didn't exactly have creamy hours, with a 4:30/5am start time.

I should add, too, that I don't mind working part time, but I do roughly have a criteria of a minimum of 20 hours. Otherwise, to me, it's not worth it.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:09 pm
@Reyn,
I did a part time computer course so I could do admin, maybe a bit of training, that looks good and updates your cv, increases your chances also voluntary work can open doors doing just a few hours a week, it looks good on your cv too, shows you're not sitting at home doing nothing, impresses the employer. I used to get jobs for people with difficult backgrounds and cv building plays a vital role in getting you an interview so make sure it's excellent. You've been out of work for over a year so employers see a gap, put yourself in there shoes and what will impress them.
Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@Caroline,
Well, I can't help the gaps. I'll just have to deal with it the best I can.

I don't know if you are familiar with my background, but I did formally retire from my major job(s) in April 2006 at 55. Worked at the same company for about 32 years.

Since 2006, I have worked a couple of other jobs, not in my field, to make some extra money. So, there are more gaps than since April 2009.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@Reyn,
I am not sure that "gaps" in employment are such a big deal given the current economy. A lot of people, through no fault of their own, have found themselves with gaps.
I agree that some potential employers might be curious about what you have been doing with your time since retiring. Doing volunteer work should, of course, be sincere. But it also does show that you are still active.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes that's true gaps in employment reflect the current climate and employers take this into account but if you were an employer who are you going to be more impressed by? A long gap or someone filling there time doing voluntary work. If you're doing voluntary work then it's sincere as you're committing yourself. And it can open up jobs that are paid by gaining job experience and you'll be the first to hear of paid jobs within the company. It shows the employer that your getting up to date experience.

I'll tell you Reyn, your cv has to be the best, it's what gets you the interview, take it to a professional that builds cv's and watch it being transformed from an ordinary cv to wow I'm interested in this person. Thanks.
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
I wouldn't discount the job, just yet.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
@Caroline,
Reyn's cv is straightforward, needs no nursing. I'd hate to see it somehow pumped in a pr kind of way. My only qualm is that you, Reyn, might not mention your writing ability re computers.

As in, have you ever tried for the office, at some of these places? More than that, I can see you with a small business, handling the correspondence, maybe trouble shooting, and so on.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
You'll be surprised how a professional can make you sound good without pumping it up. I didn't know that you knew his cv was perfect, I was just trying to help.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
@Caroline,
Good interview techniques too, can't hurt to pick up a few tips. You have to increase your chances of employment with so much competition out there. Get on a computer course, almost every job involves I.T., if an employer sees you've got a recent qualifications it's going to increase your chances of getting into the interview pile. Impress is the key.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:29 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I wouldn't discount the job, just yet.

I've now officially discounted that job, Chai.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:32 pm
@Reyn,
prolly a good thing.

if you worked with eggs all day, you prolly would not want them for breakfast as much.

the hospital gig sounds good. they usually have good bennys...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

As in, have you ever tried for the office, at some of these places? More than that, I can see you with a small business, handling the correspondence, maybe trouble shooting, and so on.

Yeah, not really, although I did try a couple.

Caroline wrote:
... Get on a computer course, almost every job involves I.T., if an employer sees you've got a recent qualifications it's going to increase your chances of getting into the interview pile.

Not to sound negative, but at this stage of my life, I'm not really interested in taking any courses, and I don't think that will help me get dishwasher / kitchen jobs.

I have already taken a course for a Food Safe certificate, which is usually expected working around food.

Thanks for your input, but I think I'll stay the course.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:36 pm
@Reyn,
Fair enough. Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
@Caroline,
No, I wouldn't be surprised.