problems

55hikky

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:17 am
what is a problem.
a problem is something that causes physical strain, or mental stress.
first off physical strain and mental stress are both intricately related (broken leg hurts, you can't work and you're mentally stressed. your best friend just died and now you're sick and have a headache.) which ever the origin, they usually yield each other. but we will leave this aside and look at these two forms of problems.

i will briefly talk about the physical pain and integrate them later when i talk about psychological problems.

physical pain is simple; you're in pain, you'd rather not have pain, there is a ever persisting discomfort, it is a problem. perhaps it is a form of utilitarian view, less pain, more pleasure please. what you need is comfort, what's preventing that is the lack of cure (you have to wait for your leg to heal, or headache to resolve, some have immediate resolution, some do not, and the duration is where the problem lingers)

the second, is the psychological aspect, and i'll talk a little about it before i ask you guys the real question, other than the input of my brief analysis of this discussion.

i'll start off with what i concluded,

Need + unavailability of that = problem = sin.

that was the final equation i came up with. here's the brainstorm so feel free to criticize.

1. what are some problems?
there are two types of problems, with the SELF and with OTHERS.
SELF : suicide, bankruptcy, tripping and falling, etc.
OTHERS : lying, cheating, tricking, stealing, etc.

2. what makes these listed above and all others so called problems problems in the first place?

waste time of others
immoral, unethical
cause harm...
...all result in some form of physical strain or mental stress.

3. why do these cause physical strain or mental stress.

they are inconsistent with the others morals and ethics.
i.e. cheating on others = loyalty, self control (SELF, OTHERS)
going bankrupt = impotence, unsustainability (SELF, SELF)

2.a. why are certain problems problems in the first place?
i.e. Cheating: disloyalty to partner. why is loyalty and trust important? this calls to the human nature of communication and procreation.

note: i have made a list of human needs (self: food, water, shelter. Others: communication, procreation) (note the similarity of the fact that there are two forms of needs by human nature (self and others) and two forms of problems (self and others)

it seems that problems originates from the basic human needs combined with sins. in this case the basic human needs was "procreation" and "communication" combined with "lust," "greed," "envy." (or just lust i guess).

i have come up with one equation, two uses.

Problem (physical) = human needs + unavailability.
i.e. need = food
unavailability = what prevents one from attaining food.

there is the simple version.

need food, don't have money. boom, done.

a slightly complex

need food. we make factories, chemical + biological waste = death of smaller animals in the bottom of the food chain = extinction of species + over powering of species with a wide niche + disruption of homeostasis of food chain ecosystem = lack of salmon and other large fish for humans.

(another example, similar to above, skip this entire example for it is not essential to this topic) (skip to SKIP TO HERE)
another example of a complicated problem is similar to how a pen is made. the consumer knows not how to make a pen.
the assembly factory knows not how to make a pen, just putting parts together.
the parts factory knows not, they just take metal, and plastic and mold them into shapes,
the oil rig and metal mine knows not, they just dig for oil and metal and make plastic and aluminum to ship.
this is a simple, harmless example of how small, archaic, known technology makes something that is incomprehensible to humans. no one knows how to make this thing called pen, but we all have it.

the harmful version is if this is something that is very problematic; no one knows that it is a problem, we all participate, facilitate and promote the production of it (nuke, biological pandemic, cars) until it has grown so large to the point where we can no longer stop it. something like this takes two ways to stop it; 1. stop it. which is difficult for issues such as over production of carbon dioxide, we can not just simply stop cars. so the second solution 2. make a solution to counter it. this takes just as long as it took for the problem to brew, or longer. i.e. cars; it is so important, we can not stop using oil, stop using plastic, stop wasting; we all know it is a problem, we can't solve it though. it is also noteworthy that it is difficult to stop because we don't know who to blame or what the origin is of the problem; it is a plethora of small factors which are all innocent, but ultimately resulting to the problem (like all of the component and factories involved in the making of the pen, they are all innocent, but we still have a problem) and the reason it takes a long time to prevent is because what we make is out of our league; when we have a pen, no one knows how to make the pen. when there is a pandemic, no one knows how to counter it (which is very expensively done by pharmacologists, biochemists, organic chemists to actively make vaccines BEFORE they surface so that we don't have a strain that we can not fight, like our most recent H1N1.

so above was a example of indirect, alien source preventing the need, which is a problem.
problem = needs + unavailability
unavailability = destroying the environment
(SKIP TO HERE)

and another equation, later integrated to the first is

Problem (SELF (mental)) = sin

the constant need of things, love, glory, food, etc; all internal stress for these unquenchable urges and impulses would lead to mental stress, which I have introduced first, was a problem. i hope this premise is a valid induction.

so i can say, if the above is true

Problem (SELF (mental)) = needs + unavailability = sin.

so human needs and the unavailability of them are a sin?

greed: need something they do not have
wrath: need conflict
lust: need lover
pride: need importance, glory
envy: need what others have
gluttony: want food
sloth:...need laziness???

are these human needs like i have said earlier?
can we say that problems arise from not only basic human needs, but other "artificial" needs which may or may not speak to our natural human nature, and just from juvenile minds?

also what about absence of justice???

what we have covered to here is the absence of something that is viewed as bad; want more food, want sex, want more of etc..... so it is a problem

what about want justice? want fairness?

Need justice + unavailability = problem?

i.e. need for food for the world + not enough food for everyone = problem (macroscopic)

any input will help.

ok, so this was all bulet #2, so recall

they are inconsistent with the others morals and ethics.
i.e. cheating on others = loyalty, self control (self, others)
going bankrupt = impotence, unsustainability (self, self)

4. why do inconsistencies with others form?
obvious causes: background, culture, education shapes our values and views of life, even though we are all the same people.
This suggests that the difference of community overpowers the unifying similarities as humans?

i have heard of a story where during a certain war, a pilot solder was ordered to bombard a certain region of the country. this region turns out to be the home town of the soldier. he refuses to bombard the city, against direct general orders, even against the welfare of the country he fought for. is this acceptable? do we find something noble about this treason? is a problem really even a problem?

is there a way to ever abolish all problems? a way which there is no needs unmet, or needs at all. a way where there is no physical strain, or mental stress for all?

criticism of the thread would help, criticism of my logic is acceptable; i think everything here is induction, assumption and opinions so criticizing my logic would result in a response longer than this one..
comments and imo's will be VERY helpful since i am lost in my own thread for i feel as if i have tackled a issue larger than what i am ill-prepared to tackle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 0
No top replies