fed judge stops arizona immigration law

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, not quite "stops."

She, a Clinton appointee, punted.

How did the judge "punt" this case? The federal government asked her to issue an injunction, and that's what she did.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

The liberals are doing what they always do - finding a liberal judge to nullify a popular vote of the people, based on fictitious interpretation of the Constitution.

The US District Court of Arizona, like pretty much all federal courts, assigns cases to judges by a random process. According to local rule 3.8(a):
Quote:
Within each division, the civil cases, when filed, shall be assigned among the Judges of the division by the Clerk (or by a deputy designated
by the Clerk) by automated random selection and in a manner so that neither the Clerk nor any parties or their attorneys shall be able to make a deliberate choice of a particular Judge for a particular case.

The court has 13 active judges -- six appointed by Clinton, seven appointed by the Bushes. There was, therefore, close to a 50% chance that the feds would draw a Clinton-appointee when they filed their case. But then the feds couldn't have filed it anywhere else, so it was just the luck of the draw that they got the judge that they got.

By the way, it took me about ten minutes to find all of that information on the web. Of course, making irresponsible and inaccurate insinuations takes even less time than that, and I appreciate that some people are in a hurry.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:19 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I found this:

"Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked," Bolton said in her decision.

I don't see that this is a legal argument. What law doe this violate?

It doesn't violate a law. It violates the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Quote:
* Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:46 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The liberals are doing what they always do - finding a liberal judge to nullify a popular vote of the people, based on fictitious interpretation of the Constitution.

How is it a ficticious interpretation of the Constitution that the power to regulate immigration, and to enforce those regulations, belongs exclusively to the federal government? This principle is firmly anchored in the constitution's migration or importation clause, its naturalization clause, and its commerce clause. Even Scalia and Thomas, the originalist judges, would uphold it.
Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why don't you read the ruling?

Brandon9000 wrote:
I should. Do you by any chance have a link?

JTT wrote:
Yeah, like that's gonna help you, Brandon.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Irrelevant as usual.

Irreleveant perhaps, but accurate nevertheless---as your next post reveals.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Okay, it's tantamount to impossible for an ordinary person to read this. Maybe if I had all day.
panzade

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@Thomas,
Yeah, comedy A2K style.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
The federal government asked her to issue an injunction, and that's what she did.

That's the part that puzzles me, Joe. I thought that courts didn't make theoretical rulings -- maybe this isn't one -- I thought that there had to be a law and a real plaintiff, someone who has been hurt by said law and then a challenge can be mounted.
Carry

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:52 am
@JTT,
Just because someone doesn‘t love you the way you want them to, doesn‘t mean they don‘t love you with all they have. 
Thomas

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
That's the part that puzzles me, Joe. I thought that courts didn't make theoretical rulings -- maybe this isn't one -- I thought that there had to be a law and a real plaintiff, someone who has been hurt by said law and then a challenge can be mounted.

When a state usurps powers that exclusively belong to the federal government, that hurts the federal government, and the public interests it exists to assert.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

JTT wrote:

When a state usurps powers that exclusively belong to the federal government, that hurts the federal government, and the public interests it exists to assert.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
@Carry,
Carry wrote:
Just because someone doesn‘t love you the way you want them to,
doesn‘t mean they don‘t love you with all they have. 
WELCOME to the forum, Carry.

David
Riley Cass

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:45 pm
The Arizona law? doesn't do anything other than enforce the Federal law.

Curiously, the federal government has produced a huge mountain of laws over the last 40 years in areas that were historically the prerogative of states. Yet Obama or most of the Left don't seem to think they should be restrained by the constitution as they violate the constitution. They just appoint judges who will disregard the letter of the law.

The lawsuit says the law illegally intrudes on federal prerogatives, invoking as its main argument the legal doctrine of "preemption," which is based on the Constitution's supremacy clause and says that federal law trumps state statutes. The Justice Department argues that enforcing immigration laws is a federal responsibility and says an injunction is needed to prevent "irreparable harm" to the United States.

What form does this "irreparable harm" take? Illegal immigrants will be deported. Some people who would otherwise enter the country illegally will decide not to break US law. How does this constitute "irreparable harm"? Arizona's law is designed to empower local police to enforce federal law. It isn't designed to empower local police to undermine federal law. Rather, enforcement of the Arizona law will undermine federal undermining of federal law.

Look at federal drug law. Imagine that police stopped busting heroin dealers. The federal government would throw a conniption. The federal government has no problem with local enforcement of federal law when the federal government really wants the law enforced.

Where does it say in the constitution that the states can't enforce immigration law? Where does it say that states can't enforce federal laws?
What about Federal speed limits? Federal laws on pollution? Federal laws on MJ? Federal monies parceled out by the States such as SCHIP and Medicaid? Does Obama really want to send federals to each state to enforce these Federal laws?

"The Powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:46 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You make the stupidest remarks concerning how your own country's system operates, repeating silly memes that you've heard or read from various right wing nut cases, then proceed to clearly illustrate just how dumb you are and you don't find this pertinent to the discussion at hand.

You must have slept thru your whole grade six civics class.

As usual, you mistake attacks on posters for an argument. Do you have anything at all to say about the law and the courts?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:52 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

The US District Court of Arizona, like pretty much all federal courts, assigns cases to judges by a random process. According to local rule 3.8(a):
Quote:
Within each division, the civil cases, when filed, shall be assigned among the Judges of the division by the Clerk (or by a deputy designated
by the Clerk) by automated random selection and in a manner so that neither the Clerk nor any parties or their attorneys shall be able to make a deliberate choice of a particular Judge for a particular case.

The court has 13 active judges -- six appointed by Clinton, seven appointed by the Bushes. There was, therefore, close to a 50% chance that the feds would draw a Clinton-appointee when they filed their case. But then the feds couldn't have filed it anywhere else, so it was just the luck of the draw that they got the judge that they got.

By the way, it took me about ten minutes to find all of that information on the web. Of course, making irresponsible and inaccurate insinuations takes even less time than that, and I appreciate that some people are in a hurry.

I never said that they could influence which judge they draw. They go to court to nullify popular votes and hope for the best in terms of drawing a liberal judge who will invent fictitious parts of the Constitution.

I assume that if you had understood the judge's legal basis for the ruling you would have said something about it rather than commenting solely about my post. Did you have anything at all to say about the immigration law?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:53 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I found this:

"Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked," Bolton said in her decision.

I don't see that this is a legal argument. What law doe this violate?

It doesn't violate a law. It violates the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Quote:
* Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

The Fifth Amendment doesn't say that people cannot be questioned about crimes.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:53 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

How is it a ficticious interpretation of the Constitution that the power to regulate immigration, and to enforce those regulations, belongs exclusively to the federal government? This principle is firmly anchored in the constitution's migration or importation clause, its naturalization clause, and its commerce clause. Even Scalia and Thomas, the originalist judges, would uphold it.

Pick one clause, quote it here, and let's see.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:55 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

JTT wrote:

Judges aren't supposed to make rulings based on some idea about some principle being hurt. They're supposed to rule on violations of law.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 04:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I never said that they could influence which judge they draw.

I never said that you said that.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I assume that if you had understood the judge's legal basis for the ruling you would have said something about it rather than commenting solely about my post.

Your assumption, as usual, is incorrect.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Pick one clause, quote it here, and let's see.

I have a counter-suggestion. Since you're the one who so confidently accuses the judge of wrong-doing, why don't you back up your own opinion before demanding that we rebut it? Why don't you quote the pieces of the opinion you find fault with, and let's see?

Your unwillingness so far to inform yourself on what you're talking about puts you in a very weak position to make demands on us.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you know if the 9th circuit is likely to rule on this particular law before the Supreme Court rules on a related Arizona law already on its fall docket? Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/29/AR2010072900661_2.html?sid=ST2010072806353
0 Replies