I have a job!!

Reyn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:43 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks for your support, Izzie! Very Happy

Intrepid wrote:
Just a note that most places prefer plain text as opposed to Word etc.

Yes, indeed! I always put my resume directly into the email, and never send as an attachment.

I'm a little mystified as to why some employers ask for a cover letter in addition. If you're sending a resume, I'm not sure I see the value in such a document.

I always have avoided job ads that ask for one. If I were to apply for an ad like that, what should the "cover letter" say?

----------------------
hehe, I was just thinking, anyone tuning into this thread now will be a little confused. Sorry about that! The job didn't work out.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
One down, dozens to go - - -

I have a lot of respect for the work that you do, Edgar, at your age. You've mentioned on occasions that you do a lot of heavy lifting /moving, and it doesn't get easier when one gets older.

In my case, the longer we do that sort of thing in the day, the looser and younger I feel. Not that I'm a superman. I regret my choice in jobs during this the hottest part of the year. All week long, I have been rushing home to relax in my easy chair, with the A/C blowing over me. It takes about three hours for me to feel recovered.

Reyn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
[clap, clap, clap!]

[deep bow]

Maybe I should take some pointers from you? Wink Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:44 pm
@Reyn,
Employers ask for cover letters because they read them before resumes. They only devote a few seconds to each application received and base the decision to read the resume on the cover letter. In most cases, the cover letter is more important than the resume.

If you have not received many replies to resumes, this may be the reason.

Be sure to highlight specific information from your resume such as your professional experience, skills, strengths, and the value you can offer to the future company.

Although I spent a lot of time looking for a job, I also was responsible for hiring people looking for a job in my previous position.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:20 am
@Intrepid,
Open up a topic on cover letters -- I bet a lot of people have great tips they can share.
0 Replies

somya

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:46 am
@Reyn,
Thanks for nice information.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:33 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
If I were to apply for an ad like that, what should the "cover letter" say?

A cover letter should reflect some of your personality while the resume covers your experience. The cover letter should be brief but give the employer a sense of who you are as an individual.

I think if you are not getting more job offers you are either applying for the wrong positions or your personality is not coming through in a positive way. I saw David previously mentioned you should apply for higher level jobs instead of all these menial and manual labor jobs, I agree. You seem to be applying for jobs meant for college kids and green card workers. Employers are probably thinking you will leave at the first better offer. If I didn't know you from this board I would probably think the same thing and I would certainly not hire you to move heavy things - that's what 22 year old guys are for. I would suggest looking at things that are more cerebral like sales rep., higher end customer service, and teen tutoring.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
@Intrepid,
Thank you Intrepid, Jes, and GW for your cover letters ideas. I'll take it into consideration.

Actually, quite frankly, I rarely see ads asking for cover letters these days. Just to send in a resume only.

Green Witch wrote:
I think if you are not getting more job offers you are either applying for the wrong positions or your personality is not coming through in a positive way. I saw David previously mentioned you should apply for higher level jobs instead of all these menial and manual labor jobs, I agree. You seem to be applying for jobs meant for college kids and green card workers.
[...]
I would suggest looking at things that are more cerebral like sales rep., higher end customer service, and teen tutoring.

That would be nice to be able to do that, but I just don't have the previous skill sets to apply for jobs like that.

My previous work history, before I retired, consisted of mainly working for the same company for 32 years as a meter reader, inventory clerk, and for a very short time, customer service rep.

What I think is working against me, for the large part, is my age, and lots of people applying for these positions.

Also, I'm not willing to commute out of my immediate city of about 130,000 to find work, as it would put my insurance rate up as well.

Having said that, there are a few more jobs, that are suitable, coming up now than there were previously. I have applied for quite a variety, and more than you have listed. It's just that I haven't made a point of posting them here.

Thanks again all, for your interest. I'm just going to keep on, keeping on! Wink
Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@Reyn,
They don't usually ask for a cover letter. They just expect it.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:49 pm
Congratulations Reyn! Jobs are getting harder to come by so I know how happy you must be. What kind of RVs? We have one and I need a new refrigerator for it.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:53 pm
@Arella Mae,
Um, Arella, please go back a couple pages to check the developments. Wink
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:04 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Um, Arella, please go back a couple pages to check the developments. Wink
Uh oh, I hope I didn't do anything to offend Reyn.

Reyn, that was very noble of you to tell them how you felt and that the job wasn't for you. So many today would just try to fake it as long as they could. I am sure you will find work. You seem determined enough. I got a job through a temp agency. Was supposed to be there for a month and now the place is hiring me permanently. You hang in there! I'll be praying for you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:25 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
They don't usually ask for a cover letter. They just expect it.

Oh, really? I guess I expected only to do as is asked in the ad.

I wish employers would ask for a cover letter if they really wanted one.

I can't imagine that some of the simpler jobs that I'm sending a resume to, also want a cover letter. So, you're saying, even for a dishwashing job I should send in a cover letter?

-----------------
Thanks AM, for the well wishes, and no probs! Wink
DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@Reyn,
I have never gotten a job from an ad. All of my jobs have been from cold-calling possible employers, and getting my name in front of them before they have to place an ad.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:54 pm
@DrewDad,
One day I took my load of laundry to the laundramat near the work parking lot on my lunch hour, and read a day old newspaper. I must have been disgruntled, working too many hours as it was, to be doing that in the first place, well, plus having no laundry machines at my apartment. Saw an ad, called, got the job (this was as a lab tech). That was an interesting ten months, but soon enough I was back at the first place....

My best job I got from cold calling, like Drew Dad.

I can see other's points, here, Reyn, re promoting yourself on all that you've done, including customer rep.

You also write well, and this is an ever more precious ability.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:42 pm
Thanks DD and Osso. I guess I just haven't had that much experience in applying for jobs, as prior to retirement, I was steadily employed for 34 years.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:56 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
Thanks DD and Osso. I guess I just haven't had that much experience in applying for jobs,
as prior to retirement, I was steadily employed for 34 years.
U retired voluntarily ?
Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, at full pension at 55.

It's an okay pension, but one needs to be careful.

Just prior to retiring, my wife and I paid off our mortgage. One of the plans were to work at least a part time job of some kind to at least 65.

The last position I held with the company I worked for, was as an electric and gas meter reader, which can be a very dangerous job.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Yes, at full pension at 55.

It's an okay pension, but one needs to be careful.

Just prior to retiring, my wife and I paid off our mortgage. One of the plans were to work at least a part time job of some kind to at least 65.

The last position I held with the company I worked for, was as an electric and gas meter reader, which can be a very dangerous job.
Yikes! A dangerous job indeed, especially if you are working in rural areas. Lots of meters here in the country are overgrown with thickets, bushes, etc, and they harbor things like snakes. That is not a job I would ever consider. Kudos to you!
Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 10:15 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Yikes! A dangerous job indeed, especially if you are working in rural areas.

Yup, did that for 20 years. Wink

In my area, I was always worried about stumbling onto a pot grow, never mind the huge rottweiler population. Lots of gang activity in this trade here.
0 Replies