I have a job!!

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:04 pm
One down, dozens to go - - -
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
But there is a possibility these last folks will get your honesty - who knows if they'll comprehend that.

Be well and rest, Reyn.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:18 pm
@Reyn,
Maybe u can get a white collar job ?

or sales ?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:25 pm
@Reyn,
Well, that's too bad. I know you wanted it to work out. I'm glad, though, that you realize that it's too much for you physically and pulled back before you got hurt.

Here's hoping that the next job will be a better fit.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:27 pm
I'm sure it feels much better to have gotten the job and tried it, right? Nothing lost...the next one will be better.

Sleep well, dear Reyn.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:29 pm
@Reyn,
You made the right decision for you, Reyn.

I'm sorry it was the wrong job.

Never mind. Onward in the job hunt!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:57 am
@Reyn,
All jobs are not for everyone. At least you stuck it out for most of the day. It is good to know our limitations as we grow older. Fortunately, you were not injured when you fell.

Maybe that company will even have a less physical job in the future and will consider you for that. In the meantime, hang in there and don't give up.
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:17 am
@Intrepid,
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Better stuff is ahead, I am sure.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:21 am
agreeing with the others.
No sense doing something that will hurt you.

Hey, we've all been in situations like this, one way or another. Learn the lesson, put it down, move on.

it's ok reyn, it's ok.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
I'm glad you're not doing that work, Reyn, that heavy lifting is for young'uns. You'll find something, I'm sure, and I agree with whoever suggested that maybe that company might have something not so physical for you down the road. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
alex240101

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:16 am
@Reyn,
Hello Reyn.
Everything happens for a reason. (" "a2k posting risk)
Would of disliked shopping for refrigerators, and seeing you while checking out the inside.
Only be embarrassed about being embarrassed.

Sending good tidings.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:14 am
@Reyn,
Don 't let it get u down, Reyn.

Choose happiness, instead

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

So, now do you need a crash course on RVs?

That would be doing it wrong.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
@Reyn,
Oh, and congratulations!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:18 am
@Reyn,
Well, crap....

On the other hand, perhaps he knows someone else who's looking.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I'm glad you're not doing that work, Reyn, that heavy lifting is for young'uns. You'll find something, I'm sure, and I agree with whoever suggested that maybe that company might have something not so physical for you down the road. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

That was me. I feel so under appreciated. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:44 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
I could see that it was a wonderful company to work for, fair and friendly folks, but I honestly could see that it wasn't going to work out. I told my boss that I had to be honest and he appreciated that.

Definitely the best route to take. I believe that you're going to get good karma points for this and you will benefit from your approach to this.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, thanks to everyone checking back with this thread. I'm resting up today, as I do ache in all kinds of places and have Polysporin on the sores on my feet.

edgarblythe wrote:
One down, dozens to go - - -

I have a lot of respect for the work that you do, Edgar, at your age. You've mentioned on occasions that you do a lot of heavy lifting /moving, and it doesn't get easier when one gets older.

Intrepid wrote:
I will be driving school bus come September. A lot easier than the manual labour I was doing, but less fullfilling as my career as a Systems Manager.

That must have been quite a "culture shock" for you! I have a feeling what that was like, as I have gone through similar changes in the past couple of years.

ossobuco wrote:

But there is a possibility these last folks will get your honesty - who knows if they'll comprehend that.

Yes, I suppose, but quite honestly, I would be too embarrassed to go back to the same place.

I feel bad, too, because I'm sure they took a chace for an older guy like me with this job. I'm sure they will think twice about hiring older workers in the future. I feel bad about that.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Maybe u can get a white collar job ?

or sales ?

I don't think I have the skill set for that.

I have worked in a retail store, so I'm keeping my eye open for that.

I do currently have a couple of resumes out working in extended /assisted-living facilities, as I have had some experience in that a couple of years ago. I'm just waiting to hear back.

JPB wrote:

I know you wanted it to work out. I'm glad, though, that you realize that it's too much for you physically and pulled back before you got hurt.

Here's hoping that the next job will be a better fit.

Yeah, I sure did, and I am glad I didn't get seriously injured.

I will be more selective in future, and realize my current limitations.

Eva wrote:

I'm sure it feels much better to have gotten the job and tried it, right? Nothing lost...the next one will be better.

Sleep well, dear Reyn.

I slept pretty solid, albeit sore this morning.

I guess both my wife and I had expectations, but one needs to hold back until you know it's going to work out.

msolga wrote:

You made the right decision for you, Reyn.

I'm sorry it was the wrong job.

Never mind. Onward in the job hunt!

Yes, although I did initially felt guilty and embarrassed, I do feel that I finally made the right decision.

In the afternoon, I was thinking, "What am I doing here?". I had to muster up some courage to make the right choice.

Intrepid wrote:

All jobs are not for everyone. At least you stuck it out for most of the day. It is good to know our limitations as we grow older. Fortunately, you were not injured when you fell.

Maybe that company will even have a less physical job in the future and will consider you for that. In the meantime, hang in there and don't give up.

Yes, this is quite true! And, I am realizing my limitations much more.

They do have other jobs, like washing RVs (seasonal work), but I wouldn't feel comfortable re-applying at this location. Just too embarrassed.

jespah wrote:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Better stuff is ahead, I am sure.

That's pretty much as to what my wife said!

chai2 wrote:

No sense doing something that will hurt you.

Hey, we've all been in situations like this, one way or another. Learn the lesson, put it down, move on.

Yes, exactly!

And, for any of this work to make sense, I need a job that I can continue to do as I get older, as I have plans to going until at least 65 (59 now), if not longer, depending on the work.

Mame wrote:
... heavy lifting is for young'uns. ...

Yup, for sure. No use pretending that "I can do it, I can do it", just because I really want a job!

alex240101 wrote:
... Sending good tidings.

Thanks kindly.

ehBeth wrote:
Definitely the best route to take. I believe that you're going to get good karma points for this and you will benefit from your approach to this.

I sure hope so! Laughing

I have about 10 job listing sites that I check 3 times a day (especially Craig's List for my area) and our local papers that come out during certain days (although not much there). Most of the stuff is online these days, and you're expected to email in a resume.

So, I will persevere.

Izzie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@Reyn,
Oh Reyn...

you absolutely made the right decision and I'm glad that you didn't get hurt

...it takes a big man to realise your limitations and a braver one to admit them - do not be embarrassed at all ...

you absolutely did the right thing for you!

Hoping so much for you that another job will come along soon - we can hear how much you wish to be working and perservere you will and meantime, will keep crossing things all crossed and posivibes for you.

((((((((((Reyn)))))))))))
Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:49 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
Most of the stuff is online these days, and you're expected to email in a resume.

Just a note that most places prefer plain text as opposed to Word etc.
0 Replies