Our planet is being destroyed, does anybody care?

Caroline

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:17 am
@spendius,
You can catch a bus to the shops, I don't own a car yet I manage and so do lot of other people but I know what you mean which is why an alternative greener fuel is needed for cars. What I meant was people who drive to shops that are in walking distance, like drive to the post box, that's just laziness.
spendius

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:28 pm
@Caroline,
Look Caroline--instead of talking in empty platitudes get yourself over to the Brit thread and take the consumption patterns being boasted about on there to task. You're not making yourself unpopular enough.
Caroline

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:40 pm
@spendius,
How is it talking empty platitudes?
parados

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

How is it talking empty platitudes?

Because the master of empty platitudes just told you it is.

I'm sure he can spend the next 3 pages and 5,000 words avoiding telling you why he thinks that but he'll be more than happy to regale you with tales from Tropic of Cancer as if he lived them himself.
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:19 am
@parados,
I'm always eager to learn how to avoid talking in empty platitudes, such as recommending we get greener cars without explaining how it is to be done, so perhaps you will quote me a couple of examples from my posts and teach me how to avoid repeating the mistakes.

If you don't do that your saying that I am the master of the empty platitude could look like one itself.

In case you don't know I think Henry Miller was a bit of a puritan on the side. But a must read for all budding literary types. Which tales have you in mind?
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:35 am
@parados,
Quote:
Because the master of empty platitudes just told you it is.
Laughing Laughing
parados

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Like Bob Dylan said--"We're goin' all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn."
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:16 am
@farmerman,
fm has me on Ignore with the result that he lacks the advantage of having read my answer to parados on that matter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:18 am
@parados,
There is such a thing as an "Indecent Proposal" my dear.
parados

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:48 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

There is such a thing as an "Indecent Proposal" my dear.

But it sounds so much like an empty platitude coming from you.
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:45 pm
@parados,
You haven't made the case yet para. It was requested. Examples please. Surely the accused is allowed a defence.

Not a Star Chamber are you?
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
@spendius,
In the shower scene in Psycho it sounded like some banshees shrieking but it was only some musical instruments.
deepthot

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:28 pm
@HexHammer,
I am a philosopher as well as an activist.

As the former I ask: Why do we continue to render uninhabitable much of our planet? What forms of ignorance and neglect are entailed?

As an activist, I support the efforts of The Genii - The Global Energy Network Initiative. Their monthly newsletter is available at this site:
http://www.geni.org/
It is a project inspired by Buckminster Fuller's vision of the land masses (on the planet on which we all reside) interconnected with shared power grids. This reinforces our interdependence upon one another and thus makes war between regions less likely.

I spread the word that it is a fact that a very small portion of the Earth's deserts could supply all the power that Western Civilization needs via solar energy installations. This has to be supplemented with good sound transmission lines and cables to transport the virtually-free energy to places which are population centers. Hence I support the recent agreement between the nations in the North-African Alliance and those in Europe to share power grids. I welcome such cooperation. This is good news!

At the same time I believe in decentralized power sources, and am working for the rehabbing of business buildings to conserve energy; as well as for the placement of green, clean power-supply mini-windmills on each roof, and solar-energy panels in each backyard. I put pressure on local governments and utilities to supply money for this cause, to allocate resources to this end. :You could do the same.
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:32 pm
@spendius,
para--there's a good example of an "Indecent Proposal" on page 5 of the "Should we off the disabled" thread. It's by mark noble.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:06 pm
@deepthot,
Quote:
At the same time I believe in decentralized power sources, and am working for the rehabbing of business buildings to conserve energy; as well as for the placement of green, clean power-supply mini-windmills on each roof, and solar-energy panels in each backyard. I put pressure on local governments and utilities to supply money for this cause, to allocate resources to this end. :You could do the same.

No we couldn't. You got there first. Local governments have now had a look at what successful rehabbers of buildings and suppliers of mini-windmills, which a street full of in a gale give a fair imitation of an air-warning siren and welds the fusebox, do when they are not making speeches. Both on and off duty.

Your pressure was a novelty to those whose sad task it is to deliberate upon our fates and their own as well. If you turned up at the annual banquet for contractors and their wives etc etc, on a bike, a tandem, looking gaunt and haggard from taking on the Sisyphusian task of saving our dear globe, it might have impressed them with your idealism. But alas, 'tis but a forlorn hope to one who has glimped these operations. Not an impossible one I hasten to add.

Question of the Week--Who do you contact for a mini-windmill? £499.99 with 10% off for one week only. SAVE$$$$$$$s

The government will issue us with mini-windmills if it becomes necessary. No question about it.

PS. Do they annoy neighbours? They must whirr surely. In breezes with a thruuurrr, in ordinary winds go plaplaplapla, in gales buuzzzz like a chainsaw and in gusty conditions play a tune.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:39 am
@deepthot,
Very well, those things you have listed are indeed good things which I applaud, and very relevant.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:52 pm
@deepthot,
This is excellent. Good post deepthot. All I do is go out once a week with a conservation group, they put pressure on the council not to cut down old trees for example. When I go out with them we do all sorts of things from making beetle hills to clearing paths for horses, I find it very hard work physically and impressed how hard my colleagues work.

Again good post deepthot, I like the bit about deserts fueling the whole of the West with solar power and having solar power and windmill on every roof. Your post was not only educational but refreshing to hear that there are good people out there, (you and people like in my conservationist group), doing things to care for the environment. I'm impressed deepthot and good to see you btw, long time no write. Thanks and take care.Smile And I agree with you, solar and wind power are the way to go, it's simple, easy and clean for the environment. I hope to see more of it in the near future. Thanks.
spendius

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:21 pm
@Caroline,
You'll have to take care Caroline that you don't buy any bargains which are only bargains because they have a cheap energy and labour input where they don't give two hoots about your inspiring example.

What do you think would happen in those countries which have become highly dependent on income from oil production and the manufacture of bargains if we found an alternative to oil and coal.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:26 pm
@Caroline,
Some say they won't change to cleaner fuels until the oil runs out because billions are invested in it. The technology for a healthier environment has been around for many many years, what it comes down to is money and greed.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:27 pm
@spendius,
Dont bother spendi, I'm ignoring you. I thought I was too emotional you said so why bother responding to my posts. My thread addresses all the points you made spendi, read them and I can carry on ignoring you. Sorry am I being emotional now.
0 Replies