Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:06 pm
@JustBrooke,
JustBrooke wrote:

Isn't bullshit billy pathetic? As if we care if he votes us down! I don't give a rats ass. All I wanted to do was call him on it, and make him look foolish. Not as if he doesn't do that just fine on his own, though.

Can you imagine sitting there for hours setting up new accounts so you can vote yourself up? What a wanker!

It's really a lot more pathetic that you and Occom Bill made such a big stink claiming BillRM was doing this, and how pathetic it is, when you were doing it all along.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Actually the C1 sock puppet there looks to belong to a second group of sockpuppets created by someone else. I've now found C1-C5 as well as a B4 or somesuch.

These sock puppets look to either have been created by BillRM or Occom Bill and initially voted BillRM up but have also been found to vote him down.

Either way, it looks like the Brooke sock puppets started before that series of them.

You guys need a life!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:19 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
The only solution seems to be to ignore them, one way or the other, if you want to maintain a completely open board, and yet want to be able to dicuss particular topics in a coherent, focused manner.

Yes. Occom Bill claims this won't work but he is obsessed with them and gets into childish insult games (calling them rapists, demented and idiots) with them and then demands that we ban them when they do the same back.

He claims ignoring doesn't work, but that is largely because it doesn't work for him. He can't help but obsess about hawkeye and BillRM and it's just as much the fault of the obsessed tango partners for hijacking a topic. Brooke and Occom Bill are goading them and insulting them here, that is not the easiest way to keep the discussion on topic either.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:31 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Why in the in the hell by the way can we not have great TV shows any longer such as the outer limit, twilight zone, or mission impossible?

Because you are living in them?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I wouldn't be surprised if BillRM used sock puppets to vote himself down. He was bragging about the number of down votes he could get and how the thread would be dead if he wasn't making his copious number of posts.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
A numbers of short comments Robert first I had seen very few of Bill O postings because they are insults rich and very facts poor.

In other words I had made used of your ignore function to block him out of my universe.

It strange all these complaining people can not do the same with my postings is it not Robert?

I been suggesting for them to do that for hundreds of posts but they seem to find the need to silent me not to block me for themselves.

Now as far as being off topic how can I be off tropic when I am mainly been addressing and disagreeing with the claims of Firefly???????

It the numbers of rapes on college’s campuses is off tropic then it is Firefly who went off tropic not me.

She had also complained many times about the numbers of cases of rapes on and off college campuses being dropped by the local police and that bring up the studies that would indicate that the 30 percents of cases dropped by the police are likely not because of uncaring police departments but just them screening our false charges.

Both seem on tropic to me if not to Firefly.

She not me had first raised the consent issue when it come to sex and alcohol and the only way my postings on that subject would be off tropic if she define being off tropic as anyone who happen to disagree with her.

All in all other then strongly disagree with the lady how in the hell am I being off tropic when for the most part I am just responding to her postings subject matter Robert?

Oh as far as getting a life Robert if we all had lives your website would have greatly reduce content at least in my opinion.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Actually the C1 sock puppet there looks to belong to a second group of sockpuppets created by someone else. I've now found C1-C5 as well as a B4 or somesuch.

These sock puppets look to either have been created by BillRM or Occom Bill and initially voted BillRM up but have also been found to vote him down.

Either way, it looks like the Brooke sock puppets started before that series of them.

You guys need a life!
Excuse you? You weren't willing to admit the truth about the troll for fear that it could be speculative, but now you'll impugn me with your assumptions? I have only ever had 1 account on A2K, Robert, and I'm not one of the cowards hiding in anonymity.

What the **** is wrong with you that you'd heap all of your scorn on the poster who you allege reacted in kind to the troll's behavior but not the troll himself? It seems that YOU must be the one getting upset by "******* forum votes." Why else would you waste your precious time tracking your own down-votes, while still ignoring/defending the demented piece of **** that started the manipulative practice?

At the beginning of this discussion when you denied the troll had done anything, and denied that it was fixed, I responded that if it wasn't you, it should have been. Now you're saying it was fixed by sock-puppets, so it would appear that I wasn't crazy after all, and all of your asinine assumptions need revisiting.

So now you're making new asinine assumptions.

The fact remains that whatever Brooke or anyone else did to correct the damage done by the troll was necessary only because Robert Gentel caters to trolls in the first place. Even now you're leveling all of your disdain at those who reacted to trolling, rather than the trolls themselves.
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:01 pm
jesus, is this were all my socks have gone
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

firefly wrote:
The only solution seems to be to ignore them, one way or the other, if you want to maintain a completely open board, and yet want to be able to dicuss particular topics in a coherent, focused manner.

Yes. Occom Bill claims this won't work but he is obsessed with them and gets into childish insult games (calling them rapists, demented and idiots) with them and then demands that we ban them when they do the same back.
There's no limit to your dishonesty, is there? I never demanded you ban them because they did the same back, and you damn well know it. Slapping the demented cowards around is just another method of moderation because yours is woefully inadequate, here at able2troll. Their responses are invariably pathetic and certainly no cause for any call to action. Stop lying.

Robert Gentel wrote:

He claims ignoring doesn't work, but that is largely because it doesn't work for him. He can't help but obsess about hawkeye and BillRM and it's just as much the fault of the obsessed tango partners for hijacking a topic. Brooke and Occom Bill are goading them and insulting them here, that is not the easiest way to keep the discussion on topic either.
Rolling Eyes More lies from he who caters to trolls. No reaction to trolling is the cause of same, Robert. This thread has seen every method of dealing with trolls fail, from confrontation to ignoring, and now you're even alleging sock-puppet voting... none of it did anything to discourage the trolls. You continue to make an ass of yourself by blaming the people disgusted by trolls instead of the disgusting trolls themselves.
Ceili

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:03 pm
@djjd62,
Perhaps they are just off tropic as well, snort.
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
you know, or believe you know who the trolls are, ignore them, skip there posts whatever, just stop going on about it
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:08 pm
@Ceili,
lucky them
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:37 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The fact remains that whatever Brooke or anyone else did to correct the damage done by the troll was necessary only because Robert Gentel caters to trolls in the first place. Even now you're leveling all of your disdain at those who reacted to trolling, rather than the trolls themselves. =

Righteous crusades, duplicitous sock puppetry and hypocritical accusations are just as disruptive to the site as the trolling. What is the difference between Brooke using dozens of IP addresses and accounts to vote down and taunt BillRM and BillRM being an annoying nuisance? Really just which side you favor, objectively the behavior is similarly disruptive.

Brooke created her first sock puppet before any that might have been BillRM anyway, it wasn't a reaction to that if that is the excuse and quite frankly I have quite generalized distain for forum pettiness right now. BillRM's inability to demonstrate any social graces is as annoying to me as the folk who demonstrate no ability to avoid granting it center stage. The notion that Brooke is somehow justified in abusing the community this way is arrant nonsense.

At the same time I reread your reports, I was wrong to say your ideas are all bad, I was focused on your demands to ban Bill and Hawkeye and the rude followups you sent telling us it was not "cool" that we had not taken your demanded action, but in that report are a couple of perfectly legitimate suggestions and yes though you seem to have had the wrong culprit in mind there simply is a significant amount of systemic abuse here that I must now deal with it. I apologize for being so frustrated with you, but at the same time I am going to continue to reject the demands to ban the people on your shortlist. We can't run this site on the basis of lynchings and any rule that would ban those on your list would invariably catch a lot of other members in the sweep. I'm just not going to play that authoritarian game and you can either come to terms with that or not.

I admit to going off on you unfairly Bill, but with you would notice that an objective application of this would result in banning Brooke right now, there is a possibility BillRM used around 5 fake accounts but I am virtually certain that Brooke has used over a dozen predating any of the other sock puppet accounts.

So in regard to using a ban hammer I still disagree, Brooke remains unbanned (some of the sock puppets were banned but I really don't have time for this kind of game). I would rather appeal to reasonableness than spend a bunch of time playing whack-a-mole with people with no life.

Ultimately here is the deal, creating such sock puppet accounts is something that we clearly must act against and we are willing to permanently ban accounts for. You guys doing it are not covering your tracks to the degree that you think you are and I will now have to spend time building in more fraud protection to detect you with a greater degree of certainty.

I don't have time to fix all these fake votes and play this game, but if it continues I will make time for it and permanently ban the orignal accounts generating the sock puppets. We will also be moving the voting overhauls up in priority (after which we will re-calculate all votes and discard all the newly-detected sock puppet votes), which is a damned pity because it represents work that does nothing to improve the site except to protect it from such childish sock puppetry.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I don't think you've ever bothered to think about, much less articulate, a set of objective criteria through which the people you want banned would be banned that does not catch other people in its net.
I've thought about some, but I don't have the data to offer anything but assumptions. If you want to send me an excel spreadsheet, I'd be happy to test various arguments to see if the voting system offers sufficient data for more advanced automated moderation. Included would obviously need to be some arguments to diminish the effectiveness of sock puppets… but frankly I don’t think those would be terribly difficult to write.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:41 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Honestly Bill I think you are far more disruptive to the site than the people you are obsessed with and demand banning for. Your penchant for going over-the-top emotionally and calling them things like "rapists" merely for being misogynistic is part and parcell of the disruption civil discussion faces here. It isn't just disruptive on its own it does a great deal towards goading those you label "trolls" into more disruptive behavior that you subsequently label them trolls for and justify your pettiness with.

You seem to think that you have some lock on what "troll" means but it is in the eye of the beholder. Objectively you are insulting, detracting, and disrupting civil discussion just as much as those you annoyingly crusade against.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:44 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I've thought about some, but I don't have the data to offer anything but assumptions. If you want to send me an excel spreadsheet, I'd be happy to test various arguments to see if the voting system offers sufficient data for more advanced automated moderation. Included would obviously need to be some arguments to diminish the effectiveness of sock puppets… but frankly I don’t think those would be terribly difficult to write.

Your suggestions to diminish the effect of sock puppets is not what I am talking about, that I admit that I now need to move up in priority and in some of them you were definitely on the right track (e.g. we should devalue newbie votes more for sure and weigh votes according to the degree to which we can programmatically access legitimacy).

I am talking about your annoying, incessant demands to ban folks like hawkeye. Under what rule would that be done? Try to make an objective one that doesn't ban folks like you and Brooke for your own disruptions to the community. You say I make an "ass out of myself" for "catering" to trolls but I think that by any objective criteria the goading and insults you and Brooke engage in with Hawkeye and BillRM qualify as trolling just as much as their annoying worldview and lack of social grace to know when they've expressed it enough is.
Lash

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:16 pm
Ignore = power.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:33 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Ignore = power.

Ignore is very closely related to ignorance.

If you ignore someone you make sure that they dont have power over you, but it is not your place to decide what other people should do, what holds power over them. That is where idiot Bill goes wrong, he has no ability to control himself, so he demands that Robert put him out of his misery by controlling this space with banning so that he his not constantly confronted with his lack of self control, and in making this call for himself he is willing to violate me and everyone else at a2k. In the larger picture this is a common fault with liberals, this constantly attempting to control what other people do so that they can live their lives without ever bothering to master themselves. Why we take seriously people trying to control others who can not even control themselves IDK, doing so certainly shows poor judgement.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Whatever Brooke did or didn't do is for Brooke to answer for, should she choose to do so. I have no knowledge of it, nor any responsibility for it.

Your apology is accepted, of course, and your belated admission that the system needs addressing is even more welcome. Most welcome is your threat to actually take action against those who abuse the system.

As for suggesting a method of automatically separating the trolls, I can only guess without access to the raw data. Without it; I can't know if the trolls are easily distinguished from David, or Spendi, or Finn. I'd be happy to experiment with various arguments in excel towards that end.

As for Brooke's OR Bill's or anyone else's behavior towards trolls being as bad as the trolls themselves; bullshit. The trolls are the cause of the disruptions they cause. While I can certainly understand your disapproval of my methods (as I disapprove of your lack of same), I think it's ridiculous to compare the two (let alone consider them equal) as both would disappear with the trolls. Your ongoing willingness to pretend you don't recognize their presence on this thread as straight, deliberate, disgusting trolling makes no sense.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:34 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
The trolls are the cause of the disruptions they cause. While I can certainly understand your disapproval of my methods (as I disapprove of your lack of same), I think it's ridiculous to compare the two (let alone consider them equal) as both would disappear with the trolls. Your ongoing willingness to pretend you don't recognize their presence on this thread as straight, deliberate, disgusting trolling makes no sense.
Well hell, We now know where you would have stood on the civil rights movement, and upon the anti-war movement of the 60's....both of which were very disruptive. Being right in the end does not matter to you does it.

Until you learn that trolls are after sport, that true believers are by definition not trolls you clearly do not know enough about the subject to warrant attention for your ponderings and outbursts.