BP admits to lobbying for release of terrorist prisoner

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:12 am
BP is back in the news again today with an admission
Quote:
...that it lobbied the British government over a prisoner transfer deal with Libya in late 2007, but denied playing any role in the actual decision to release al-Megrahi nearly two years later.

snip

"It is a matter of public record that in late 2007, BP told the U.K. government that we were concerned about the slow progress that was being made in concluding a Prisoner Transfer Agreement with Libya," BP said. "We were aware that this could have a negative impact on U.K. commercial interests, including the ratification by the Libyan government of BP's exploration agreement." more here

OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T PLAY A ROLE IN THE ACTUAL DECISION!!! No one assumes that they had the authority to make the "actual" decision.

What a crock of spin!!!

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:34 am
I've just joined the many folks who have been calling for a total boycott of BP. I've looked for alternatives to buying gas at BP/Amoco stations for the past few months, but I will no longer consider buying BP gas.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:02 am
@JPB,
Check your own back yard, JPB.

Your hypocrisy is absolutely out of this world.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:05 am
@JTT,
Ok. I'll bite. How so?
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:33 am
@JPB,
Surely you jest, JPB.

Do you believe for a moment that US companies, the USA itself, haven't done precisely the same things, that they are not now engaged in those very acts.

The US protects numerous terrorists within the community. Not only protects, it cultivates, funds, and supports terrorists.

The US created the terrorists that it now complains about and you want to boycott BP.

I'm not making excuses for BP. They deserve to held responsible for their actions. But let me say this. I think they have expressed a degree of fairness and honesty that was totally absent in the Exxon Valdez affair.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
@JTT,
Ah -- I think you have the wrong "you", JTT.

You're referring to the hypocrisy of America and Americans in general. You don't know me from Adam. You don't know my politics or my behaviors (past or present).

No. I'm not naive. That doesn't mean that I support those actions by my (or any other) government. World cop and arbiter is not a role I would have us carry.

BP does indeed deserve to be held responsible for their actions. As does any other company or country. My responses are restricted by what I can do in my "own" back yard. I can't affect policy other than by speaking out and by voting. In a very small way I can affect their bottom line. Joined with enough others the impact on bottom line can affect policy.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@JPB,
All roads, to JTT, point back to American support of terrorism. He doesn't see any other conversation as valid.

Cycloptichorn
dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:11 am
not to be in any way associated with JTT, BP along with several governments including the USA (especially congress) can easily be faulted.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

several governments including the USA (especially congress) can easily be faulted.

of course.

Unfortunately, boycotting my government gets me arrested for tax-evasion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:37 am
From the original link...

Quote:
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., told NBC’s TODAY on Thursday that the U.K. government should investigate what role the company played in the decision to free Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in August 2009.

"We want a moratorium on the drilling [by BP] off Libya's coast. We believe BP should not be allowed to drill until we have resolution of this," she told the show.

I'm reminded of the BBC series State of Play, which I believe was also recently made into a movie. To think that this is a direct negotiation between BP and the Scottish authorities is truly naive. The UK government was in all likelihood fully involved in any decision making and the US government was probably also in bed with the decision. Actually.... I'm kinda curious about the later.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:41 am
@JPB,
Quote:
The UK government was in all likelihood fully involved in any decision making and the US government was probably also in bed with the decision. Actually.... I'm kinda curious about the later.
I'm not at all curious.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:49 am
@dyslexia,
Actually, I'm only curious about how big the orgy was. It was presented here as a humanitarian gesture and a reward to a country who had become one of the good guys in the black and white list of good vs evil. Any investigation today will reiterate that story.

What I'm curious about is if there's any proof that the US government was part of any deal that included oil rights for BP (and oil for Americans) as part of going along with the deal to release Al-Megrahi.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:56 am
@JPB,
yeah and I keep thinking of President Hamid Karzai.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:02 am
@dyslexia,
We certainly love our friends when they can do something for us, don't we?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:12 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
ot to be in any way associated with JTT

Thank you for that, Dys.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
point back to American support of terrorism

Finally, an admission that you were mistaken. It would have been nice if you had been a little bit more honest about it, but hey, if that's how you want to handle it, Cy.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:21 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

What I'm curious about is if there's any proof that the US government was part of any deal that included oil rights for BP (and oil for Americans) as part of going along with the deal to release Al-Megrahi.

I'd have to add that I'm also curious if Halliburton benefited from the BP deal with Libya.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
He doesn't see any other conversation as valid.

I must remind you, Cy, that it was you who curtailed the discussion using the unbelievably lame excuse that you didn't want to discuss things unless I would agree, a priori, to not insist that the US government was/is a terrorist nation.

It's not just support for terrorism, though considering the number of dead innocents because of it, and the indisputable facts which show America clearly is a terrorist state, one would think you'd show a wee bit more concern, it's also support for terrorism that will benefit American business interests, as JPB has noted. You trust his/her judgment, do you not?

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:54 am
@JTT,
Quote:
It's not just support for terrorism,... it's also support for terrorism that will benefit American business interests, as JPB has noted. You trust his/her judgment, do you not?

I wouldn't say that cyclo and I have historically been on the same page. We tend to be in the same book on many things, but not the same page.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:54 am
@JPB,
Quote:
As does any other company or country. My responses are restricted by what I can do in my "own" back yard. I can't affect policy other than by speaking out and by voting. In a very small way I can affect their bottom line. Joined with enough others the impact on bottom line can affect policy.

I hope I have the wrong 'you', JPB and if I do, my deepest apologies, daily mea culpas 'til the spill is cleaned up and just an all round sorry.

Might that extend to those companies who lobbied the US government to install a more pliant government in Afghanistan, one that would be more receptive to their plans?