Roman Polanski free

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
This thread has a particular topic. I am trying to keep to topic.

As I mentioned,

The topics developed in this thread address whether people who rape should be held accountable for their actions. It is right on topic to wonder if this applies to anyone and everyone.

Am I mistaken or did you not discuss a murderer who escaped justice for some 18 years? How would that differ from what I'm asking you about?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:14 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
This thread has a particular topic. I am trying to keep to topic.

As I mentioned,

The topics developed in this thread address whether people who rape should be held accountable for their actions. It is right on topic to wonder if this applies to anyone and everyone.

Am I mistaken or did you not discuss a murderer who escaped justice for some 18 years? How would that differ from what I'm asking you about?

I was addressing someone that had made a comment about someone should possibly go free if they could elude capture long enough and not commit other crimes and I asked if they felt the same way in a murder case.

You want to talk injustices? Sure, I can make a list. Where do you want to start? I'm not going to list them in order of importance but just as they come to me.

Blackmarket baby rings
Back alley abortions
Sweat shops filled with children workers
Dog Fighting
Puppy Mills
Horse Slaughterhouses
AIDS infested men raping women in Africa
Children being sold into sex slave rings
Millions in the world starving
Women vaginally mutilated in Eastern countries
Children being forced to marry in many religious sects
People getting tasered for no reason
Racism
Hatred
Intolerance............................and on, and on, and on and on.

Need I go on JTT? We all have our passions and causes.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:33 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I was addressing someone that had made a comment about someone should possibly go free if they could elude capture long enough and not commit other crimes and I asked if they felt the same way in a murder case.

And that's what I'm asking you. Does this standard you have argued long and hard about apply to everyone and anyone?

Specifically, but I'll shorten it a bit to make it easier to address:

What about men who supported, trained and encouraged proxies in the raping, the torture and the murder of children?

Should these particular men be held to the same standard of justice that you believe applies to Roman Polanski?

Quote:
You want to talk injustices? Sure, I can make a list. Where do you want to start? I'm not going to list them in order of importance but just as they come to me.

No, not right now do I want to talk about those particular injustices. I just want a simple answer to a simple question about an issue that is directly related to the topic of this thread.

What about men who supported, trained and encouraged proxies in the raping, the torture and the murder of children?

Should these particular men be held to the same standard of justice that you believe applies to Roman Polanski?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:39 pm
@JTT,
Of course! ANYONE and EVERYONE should be held accountable for their crimes. I don't care who they are.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:41 pm
@snood,
What do you think, Snood?

Should these men be held to the same standard of justice as Roman Polanski?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Of course! ANYONE and EVERYONE should be held accountable for their crimes. I don't care who they are.

Thank you for your reply, Arella Mae.

To clarify, and to keep this at a manageable level, you are saying that all the US government politicians and officials, CIA agents and anyone else who funded, trained and offered material support to the Contras should be held accountable for their crimes, which included the torture, rape and murder of innocent men, women and children.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:09 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for your reply, Arella Mae.

To clarify, and to keep this at a manageable level, you are saying that all the US government politicians and officials, CIA agents and anyone else who funded, trained and offered material support to the Contras should be held accountable for their crimes, which included the torture, rape and murder of innocent men, women and children.

Please tell me why right now I feel like a little fish being lured into the mouth of a shark?
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Please tell me why right now I feel like a little fish being lured into the mouth of a shark?

On the contrary, Arella Mae, you seemed to have made an adult decision to speak in an honest and forthright manner.

Remember; "Of course! ANYONE and EVERYONE should be held accountable for their crimes. I don't care who they are".
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:52 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Remember; "Of course! ANYONE and EVERYONE should be held accountable for their crimes. I don't care who they are".
Justice requires that the greater good be taken into account, you keep forgetting that part JTT. The goal here is justice, it is not the hanging of everyone who we have a right to hang. The latter is the goal of those who are out for blood, not justice.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Samantha Geimer, now a mother of three in her 40s, has repeatedly asked for the case to be dropped. Switzerland on Monday refused to hand him over and freed him after months of house arrest.

"I am satisfied with this decision and I hope that the district attorney will now close the case and get it over once and for all," Geimer told French radio Europe 1.

Polanski pleaded guilty to having sex with Geimer, who was 13 at the time, after giving her champagne and drugs.

He fled before sentencing in 1978, saying he believed the judge would renege on a plea agreement under which the 42 days he had spent in detention for psychiatric assessment would constitute his full sentence.

Polanski's wife, French actress and singer Emmanuelle Seigner, said in an interview with the newspaper Liberation that the Swiss decision was a huge relief.

"It's the end of a nightmare, above all for our two children," she was quoted as saying. "I could not imagine another outcome. Today, the Swiss authorities have realized the injustice of this affair."

Polanski's release was widely welcomed in France, where the director has been a citizen and long-time resident.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100713/people_nm/us_polanski_geimer_1
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

On the contrary, Arella Mae, you seemed to have made an adult decision to speak in an honest and forthright manner.

Yes I did JTT. I am not disputing that. However, we both know that the way you phrase your questions are for a certain intent. Are you a lawyer by any chance?

I believe injustice is wrong no matter what. Not a single one of us can champion every cause there is. We must all pick our battles and wars. This particular one seems to be yours and that's okay with me. Quite frankly, I know I don't know as much about it as you do and you would; therefore, pretty much be the big shark eating up this little fish. I do admire your zeal.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Justice requires that the greater good be taken into account, you keep forgetting that part JTT. The goal here is justice, it is not the hanging of everyone who we have a right to hang. The latter is the goal of those who are out for blood, not justice.

That is a posting of mine, not JTT's. The greater good is for injustice to be dealt with not overlooked.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
You can sure come up with the dumbest, most inane comments, Hawk. That is a piece of nonsense that has been rejected by every court that has ever sat. It is a piece of nonsense both in fact and in legal theory.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Yes I did JTT. I am not disputing that. However, we both know that the way you phrase your questions are for a certain intent. Are you a lawyer by any chance?

Did what, Arella Mae?

Quote:
I believe injustice is wrong no matter what. Not a single one of us can champion every cause there is. We must all pick our battles and wars. This particular one seems to be yours and that's okay with me. Quite frankly, I know I don't know as much about it as you do and you would; therefore, pretty much be the big shark eating up this little fish. I do admire your zeal.

You're backtracking. You don't know much about the Polanski affair but you were more than willing to give your opinions on how the situation should be handled. My question to you is no different.

Here's a little background info to bring this into focus for you, to bring you as much up to speed as you are on the Polanski issue:

Quote:
I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children.

This is nobody's propaganda. There have been over 100,000 American witnesses for peace who have gone down there and they have filmed and photographed and witnessed these atrocities immediately after they've happened, and documented 13,000 people killed this way, mostly women and children. These are the activities done by these contras. The contras are the people president Reagan calls `freedom fighters'. He says they're the moral equivalent of our founding fathers. And the whole world gasps at this confession of his family traditions.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html

Now could you address my specific question?

Are you saying that all the US government politicians and officials, CIA agents and anyone else who funded, trained and offered material support to the Contras should be held accountable for their crimes, which included the torture, rape and murder of innocent men, women and children?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:32 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
That is a piece of nonsense that has been rejected by every court that has ever sat. It is a piece of nonsense both in fact and in legal theory.

Really?

Quote:
The most fundamental principle of justice—one that has been widely accepted since it was first defined by Aristotle more than two thousand years ago—is the principle that "equals should be treated equally and unequals unequally
http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/decision/justice.html

Those who contribute most to the collective...say Presidents and Generals, are not to be judged on the same scale as others when it comes time to evaluate wrongs.

Quote:
Sometimes principles of justice may need to be overridden in favor of other kinds of moral claims such as rights or society's welfare.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's not that you don't luck out and come up with a sensible thought every once in a blue moon. It's that you repeatedly, and with no sense of shame or after thought, leap to every available opportunity to highlight your ignorance.

You take this quote,

The most fundamental principle of justice—one that has been widely accepted since it was first defined by Aristotle more than two thousand years ago—is the principle that "equals should be treated equally and unequals unequally

and suggest that it means,

"Those who contribute most to the collective...say Presidents and Generals, are not to be judged on the same scale as others when it comes time to evaluate wrongs".

Read the whole article before you go and embarrass yourself further.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:03 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Read the whole article before you go and embarrass yourself further.
I have read it, if you think something in it attacks my position feel free to use it against me, all evidence is fair.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Did what, Arella Mae?

Sorry JTT, I should have said yes, I do (remember saying what I said).

Quote:

Quote:
You're backtracking. You don't know much about the Polanski affair but you were more than willing to give your opinions on how the situation should be handled. My question to you is no different.

I don't recall saying I don't know much about the Polanski affair. I do know I know more about it than I do the Contras.

Here's a little background info to bring this into focus for you, to bring you as much up to speed as you are on the Polanski issue:

Quote:
I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children.

This is nobody's propaganda. There have been over 100,000 American witnesses for peace who have gone down there and they have filmed and photographed and witnessed these atrocities immediately after they've happened, and documented 13,000 people killed this way, mostly women and children. These are the activities done by these contras. The contras are the people president Reagan calls `freedom fighters'. He says they're the moral equivalent of our founding fathers. And the whole world gasps at this confession of his family traditions.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html

Now could you address my specific question?

Are you saying that all the US government politicians and officials, CIA agents and anyone else who funded, trained and offered material support to the Contras should be held accountable for their crimes, which included the torture, rape and murder of innocent men, women and children?

I have already answered your question. Injustice is wrong and ANYONE committing INJUSTICE should have to be held accountable.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Point out what in that article supports that silly notion you just invented.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I will agree I don't have much patience when it comes to people defending (in any way) a man that raped a child. I don't think anyone should have patience for that.
So you believe an act can be horrible enough to be unforgivable?

Ah, well.

hawkeye10 wrote:

Justice is about equal treatment, not about general contentment. Its also a subjective thing, although many deny it, I like to demonstrate it with a simple paradox:

A man has two pieces of bread and another has none. Is it just to take away one piece of bread of the man who has two and give it to the man who has none?

That is why I do not believe in justice, but in general contentment. I prefer an injust society where everyone is happy to a just society where someone is not.

djjd62 wrote:

you remember poorly, no such law or even suggestion was made, the basis of the ruling was that you can't use ignorance as an excuse, the 13 year old said many times that he was thirteen (even though his profile apparently said 18), and the adult ignored this information and kept pressing his agenda
Oh, I must have mistaken an exageration for the actual news. My bad.

Albeit that was not the only reason I think Canada is over the top. there are also the limitations on the artistical representation of underage sexuality. How bad they are, I do not know for sure, but I personally think any kind of artistic representation should be allowed as long as it does not involve any real people.

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I personally don't like the term "informed consent
I dont like the whole concept....it was much better back when consent was assumed unless one party voiced non consent. The state invalidating consent after the fact and thus turning the other person into a rapist has to go too. The feminist driven "improvements" have made a hash out of sex law, and now routinely abuses individuals.
Its the same thing. Just like a person who "silently consented" can claim to have said no later, a person who consented can claim to have said not later.