Roman Polanski free

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@chai2,
But the fact remains that there is a danger of older people preying on younger people. Just because there are exceptions where the younger person does not feel harmed does not mean that people can flaunt the law.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:52 am
@chai2,
Fortunately, the law does not look at it the same as you do. You are starting to sound like Hawkeye. Shocked
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:08 am
@Intrepid,
You sure can get your panties in a bunch, Intrepid, about an issue that isn't an issue for the parties involved. Why don't you show any concern about the truly monumental evil?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:10 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You sure can get your panties in a bunch, Intrepid, about an issue that isn't an issue for the parties involved. Why don't you show any concern about the truly monumental evil?

You mean like your posts?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:21 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
The fact that this then 13, now 46? year old is STILL saying it was consenual, even after all these years, means a lot to me.

She said it was consensual? Where? I've only seen her say that is wasn't but that he shouldn't be punished for it after all this time.
firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@chai2,
I'm not aware that the woman said the sex with Polanski, when she was 13, was consensual. She was drugged before he had sex with her. She was a minor. How consensual could this have been? She has just said she wants the matter over, and is not interested in seeing him jailed now. But the matter is no longer in her hands.

Polanski has already been convicted of this crime. He entered a guilty plea to a charge of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. But he felt he was being double crossed on the length of the sentence which was part of his plea agreement, so he fled the U.S. to avoid a lengthy jail term. I feel he should serve some sentence for the crime he committed. He was, and is, guilty of that crime. Living in Europe for the past few decades hasn't changed anything. He is a fugitive from justice. And I think he will eventually be extradited back to the U.S.

Polanski's personal life has been filled with tragedy and family upheaval. His father was Jewish and his Roman Catholic mother had a Jewish father. Although the family was not religious, the Polanski family was forced into the Kraków Ghetto, along with thousands of the city's Jews.
Quote:

His father survived the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp in Austria, but his mother perished at Auschwitz. Polański himself escaped the Kraków Ghetto in 1943 and survived the war using the name Romek Wilk with the help of some Polish Roman Catholic families. As a Jewish child in hiding, he behaved outwardly as a Roman Catholic, although he was never baptized as such.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski

Who knows how these early life experiences and loses affected him psychologically?

Then, in 1969, Polanski's pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered while staying at the Polanski's Benedict Canyon home above Los Angeles by members of the Manson Family.

Again, his family was shattered by tragic, and murderous events.

So, as both a child and an adult, Polanski's personal world, and family, and sense of security, was destroyed by violence. Who knows how that affected his own moral compass?

I don't think any of this excuses what he did to that 13 year old girl, but it does make me feel some compassion toward this man. He certainly has suffered during his lifetime.

What I would like to see, is Polanski returned to the U.S., or to voluntarily return, to serve a relatively short jail sentence (a month or two) to finally put closure to the charge for which he was found guilty. Let him pledge a hefty amount of money to be used to help victims of child abuse, or some such similar cause, as a way to try to make amends. He can certainly afford to do so, and then some good might actually come out of all of this. His monetary power and influence has helped him to evade jail all of these years. It is time to settle the score in some reasonable manner which would satisfy the interests of justice and all concerned.
djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:52 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Quote:
As a Jewish child in hiding, he behaved outwardly as a Roman Catholic, although he was never baptized as such.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski

and as an adult he behaved as a roman catholic priest

wait, what Shocked
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:55 am
@Intrepid,
You really should tax your brain like that, Intrepid.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:01 pm
Polanski may have continued to have sex with underage women after fleeing the U.S.
Quote:

May 14, 2010

Roman Polanski accused of sex with a minor for a second time

People magazine is reporting that Charlotte Lewis, a British actress who appeared in Roman Polanski's 1986 flop Pirates, held a press conference today alleging the director "forced himself" on her when she was 16 years old in a Paris apartment.

"[Polanski] sexually abused me in the worst possible way when I was just 16," Lewis, 42, announced to the press in the Los Angeles office of her attorney. "He knew [how old I was] when he met me and forced himself upon me in his apartment in Paris. He took advantage of me and I have lived with the effects of his behavior ever since it occurred. I've traveled to the U.S. at my own expense to make sure that justice is finally done and that Mr. Polanski gets what he deserves. All I want is justice."

Polanski, whose most recent film, The Ghost Writer, was released in February, is currently under house arrest in Switzerland fighting extradition efforts by L.A. authorities. Polanski fled the U.S. in 1978 after pleading guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.

In response to the new charges, Polanski's lawyer issued the following statement: "We don't have any information about statements made at a Gloria Allred press conference today, but we do know that the District Attorney continues to refuse to provide the Swiss government with accurate and complete information relevant to the extradition issue.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/2010/05/roman-polanski-accused-of-sex-with-a-minor-for-a-second-time.html

Maybe there were other incidents also. We really don't know.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:01 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It is time to settle the score in some reasonable manner which would satisfy the interests of justice and all concerned.

Wouldn't it be nice, equitable, honest, fair, reasonable, were you to make the same passionate plea for all those who have suffered terribly from the terrorist policies of the US government?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

I'm not aware that the woman said the sex with Polanski, when she was 13, was consensual. She was drugged before he had sex with her. She was a minor. How consensual could this have been? She has just said she wants the matter over, and is not interested in seeing him jailed now
The law forbid her from consenting so of course it was not consensual. She also said that she did not want to have sex with him. I think we also know that she did not care much one way or the other, but she is a private person and considers the true abuse done to her the violation of her privacy by the media, and the prosecutors for pressing ahead with this case in spite of the the fact that she wants them to stop. In her mind the system is not protecting her, it is harassing her.

Quote:
What I would like to see, is Polanski returned to the U.S., or to voluntarily return, to serve a relatively short jail sentence (a month or two) to finally put closure to the charge for which he was found guilty. Let him pledge a hefty amount of money to be used to help victims of child abuse, or some such similar cause, as a way to try to make amends. He can certainly afford to do so, and then some good might actually come out of all of this. His monetary power and influence has helped him to evade jail all of these years. It is time to settle the score in some reasonable manner which would satisfy the interests of justice and all concerned
He has already paid a substantial penalty, the state has not been an honest broker of justice in this case and yet has still made its point that what he did is not to be tolerated, the victim considers the continuation of this case abuse of her from the state, and there is no public good that can come from continuing this case. It is now over, as it should be.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:10 pm
@JTT,
JTT, can't you ever just discuss the topic of the thread, without hopping on your soapbox to bash the U.S. government? Your fixations become so monotonous and one-note they cause your comments to be disregarded rather than taken seriously. I am interested in sticking to the topic under discussion right now.

Polanski is a convicted criminal. He should serve some punishment for his crime.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:16 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Maybe there were other incidents also. We really don't know.
He has money for the getting, I think that if he did have sex with under aged girls but they after all this time don't feel compelled to come get it is actually an argument in favor of Polanski. Obviously they care for him, don't want to hurt him, which tell me that he did not hurt them.

Considering that I consider the current AOC outrageous I am not interested in going after those who violate it because they want to, if the girls even long after the fact don't want to hang Polanski and others out then the rest of us should let it go too.

Quote:

given about the making of Pirates and her friendship with the director.

In 1986, for instance, at the time of the film's release, she said of
Polanski: "I found him very attractive, I'd love to have had a romantic relationship with him ­ and a physical one. You can't help falling in love with him. But he didn't want me that way."

By 1999 she had changed her story somewhat. She claimed that she had had a relationship with Polanski but said it began after she had been been cast in the film.

"I wanted him probably more than he wanted me," she told her interviewer, saying that she and Polanski were lovers for six months before they began filming Pirates. According to the Mail on Sunday, she claimed afterwards that she had been misquoted.

Read more: http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/63397,people,news,roman-polanski-abused-me-at-16-claims-charlotte-lewis,2#ixzz0taTyHAha
This woman seems to be a nut, and she was above the AOC in France at the time so it is doubtful that any crime took place. I dont think that anyone thinks that Polanski swore off the young females that he was obviously attracted to, but he seems to have never taken a minor who felt wronged enough to come after him.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:20 pm
@firefly,
It's the hypocrisy, Firefly, [not to mention the deception] and you're doin' it again. Why not try the shoot the messenger trick?

This evil that y'all are so uptight about isn't anywhere near the ballpark in comparison, let alone in it.

Please point me to the threads, maybe your threads, where it talks of Reagan, Bush, Bush, Cheney et al being punished for their crimes.

Please point me to the threads where it talks about the need for the terrorists that live free in the USA being subjected to their punishment.
firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
He has money for the getting, I think that if he did have sex with under aged girls but they after all this time don't feel compelled to come get it is actually an argument in favor of Polanski. Obviously they care for him, don't want to hurt him, which tell me that he did not hurt them.

Or, he paid them enough money to keep quiet, so they didn't go public.

Or, they felt some shame, or just didn't want media attention focused on themselves.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@JTT,
You are so far off topic and making such absurd comparisons that you cannot be taken seriously.

Intrepid

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Regardless of what you personally think of such heinous stuff, the law is there for a reason. Regardless of what the now grown girl thinks about it currently.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:28 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Or, he paid them enough money to keep quiet, so they didn't go public.

Or, they felt some shame, or just didn't want media attention focused on themselves.
Possible, but as we saw with Tiger that worked with one barbie and his wife, but not all of the other women. With Micheal Jackson cash worked some of he time to keep things quiet but not always. Those who want to hurt with go for the hurt and also take the money, by going public, supporting a criminal case, and then taking the money in a civil case. Only one apparent nut coming forward, one who can't claim statutory rape at that, is meaningful.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Intrepid

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Another hypocrite rises to regurgitate.

Your contributions to these threads are so refreshing and full of wisdom.