Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
I was agreeing that copying doesn't "necessarily" take value away but clearly disputing your claim that it takes "nothing" away with examples where it clearly does.

I never made such a claim.

Yes, you did.

"The only reason why I agree with physical property rights is because physical property is scarce. If I take your car, you can no longer use it. I've deprived you of something. If I take your ideas, you can still use them. I've deprived you of nothing."

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
and because copying takes "nothing" from the person you are taking ideas from.

Nonsense, you did. See above.

Quote:
That's laughable. I'm against violence but I'll defend myself, is that hypocritical? No, it's not because what I really mean is that I'm against the initiation of violence. I have no problem using violence in response to an attack. If you start something, I'll be glad to finish it.

You don't finish it, you beg off and claim victory. But no matter, my point is that I don't care if you try to insult me.

Quote:
You're still stuck in tough guy mode. I'm just a weak pussy whining and you're the big tough guy that is too strong to worry about that kind of bullshit. Please, nobody is impressed by your routine.

I'm not trying to impress anyone with the "routine". And unlike you I don't see internet arguments about being "tough" and "winning" and the like.

I see you as lacking in intellectual honesty and am not about to treat you with kid gloves just because you pitch a fit about me saying so. You whine about insults as a pretext to avoid arguments, that is the behavior I criticize and if you'd like to respond to the criticism with a shallow caricature of "internet tough guy" that is your prerogative. I'm not trying to be "tough", I'm criticizing you and you don't really don't like being criticized.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
Night Ripper wrote:
Why? That's retarded. Just get in another identical Honda and drive off! Why waste everyone's time by worrying about which identical Honda is really yours.

So if someone has the same make and model as my car, I should feel more than comfortable to just open their car door and drive right off into the sunset? Oy vey. If you believe the legality of stealing a car is dependent on the scarcity or make of said car, I don't really know how to continue this discussion. Perhaps you do not want to acknowledge the notion of ownership.

It really does seem as though you're completely ignoring the points I, and others here, have made. The fact of the matter is, no matter what anyone says, I don't think you're going to listen. It's obvious just reading the first page of this thread. You ask a question, initially hide your opinion on the matter, and then jump down everyone's throat that disagrees with you. Your mind was made up before you even created the thread, and I don't see you budging to the reason that presents itself.

I've detailed why the taking of intangible assets, or intellectual property, in some cases, should be illegal. Read my posts if you want to discuss the matter further.

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
It's rather silly to argue about who "won" this thread. That's because I won the thread. End of argument.
parados

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@joefromchicago,
When you win a thread is it like the Stanley Cup?

Do you get to take it home, drink champagne out of it, throw it in the pool?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:56 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

When you win a thread is it like the Stanley Cup?

Do you get to take it home, drink champagne out of it, throw it in the pool?

Better. I get to take it behind the middle school and have sex with it.

We're still talking about the Stanley Cup, right?
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
In cases where the intangible (MP3) is linked to a tangible (CD), something similar does occur when the intangible is stolen - the tangible is devalued.

A piece of music does not only exist as a MP3 or CD. There is something more than that. There is a form, an immaterial structure from which the CD and the MP3 are derived. (I think people are confusing the form with the intangible instances, such as MP3's, because both are immaterial.) You can create CD's and MP3's virtually for free, they are abundant. But that can't happen without that form being created first. And these forms are scarce. Programmers have to create them, and we have less of them than we want. It is these forms that property rights are supposed to protect.
Now the question is what ownership of forms would mean. Ownership is the right to control something. (Ownership has nothing to do with whether value is diminished, as some are suggesting. It is the right to exclusive control.) So ownership of a form would imply you have the right to control that form. But if people can just copy instances of your form then you no longer control it. Therefore, property rights of forms would imply legal protections against copying.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:10 pm
Emperor Nero wrote:
Ownership has nothing to do with whether value is diminished, as some are suggesting. It is the right to exclusive control.

No one here (that I know of) suggested that. What was suggested is that the taking of an intangible can directly devalue a tangible. And I think the MP3 and CD is a good example of that. That is why sites charge for MP3's now, and why it is generally frowned upon to download whole CD's without paying. MP3 piracy, like many other software forms of piracy, can negatively effect the sales of the respective product.
Quote:
A piece of music does not only exist as a MP3 or CD. There is something more than that. There is a form, an immaterial structure from which the CD and the MP3 are derived. (I think people are confusing the form with the intangible instances, such as MP3's, because both are immaterial.) You can create CD's and MP3's virtually for free, they are abundant. But that can't happen without that form being created first. And these forms are scarce. Programmers have to create them, and we have less of them than we want. It is these forms that property rights are supposed to protect.

That's a good point about the form underlying the MP3. However, I still don't see how scarcity is of any issue here. Things can still have value which aren't scarce, and people can still have ownership over things that aren't scarce.

Anyway, I believe it is unfair for the creators of the "immaterial structures" you speak of, in many cases, to not have some sort of legal protection. For instance, with my inventor example. And I don't see why the case should be different for software or music creators.
EmperorNero

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Emperor Nero wrote:
Ownership has nothing to do with whether value is diminished, as some are suggesting. It is the right to exclusive control.

No one here (that I know of) suggested that. What was suggested is that the taking of an intangible can directly devalue a tangible.

Yes, that's what I meant. Whether the taking of an intangible devalues a tangible doesn't really matter. If pirating didn't devalue anything at all, property rights would still have to be observed because the owner has the right to exclusively control his form. And if people copy it then he doesn't control it.
I can't take your car at night and put it back in the morning as long as I don't diminish it's value. Your right to own your car is not a right to not have it's value diminished, but a right to exclusively control it. And exclusive control of forms means that you get to decide who gets to a copy.

Zetherin wrote:
I still don't see how scarcity is of any issue here. Things can still have value which aren't scarce, and people can still have ownership over things that aren't scarce.

Because if something isn't scarce then there is no point in figuring out who gets to control it. Many commodities with value aren't scarce, like air and sunshine. But if what everyone wants adds up to less than there is, then everyone can have as much as they want. Only if there is a possible conflict of interest do we need to define who gets to control something.

People can have ownership of things that aren't scarce, but that might be because they were once scarce. Or because there is scarcity in one area and the value is transporting it. And some abundant resources that are owned are really representatives of something else which is scarce, rocks and sand are abundant but they can represent access trough a mountain pass. I can't think of any example of ownership that isn't based on some scarcity.

And that leads us to another reason for why we shouldn't define property rights until the issue of scarcity comes up; we wouldn't know how to define them in any meaningful way until we know what precisely is scarce. Nobody cared who owns the wind until wind-turbines started stealing each others output. Who could have anticipated that we need to define 'flow of air' property rights?

Notice that all this doesn't require a state. It's all individuals resolving conflicts with each others over who gets to have what. People can sue each others if they think they violated each others property rights, and the conflicts can be addressed by a private conflict resolution framework.

Zetherin wrote:
Anyway, I believe it is unfair for the creators of the "immaterial structures" you speak of, in many cases, to not have some sort of legal protection. For instance, with my inventor example. And I don't see why the case should be different for software or music creators.

It's not really about fairness, but about economic efficiency. If you don't control a form then you can't demand money for it's use. Some might say "great, then we can all have it", but that's forgetting the macroeconomic implications. If you can't sell something for money, then there is little use in producing it. And then we are all poorer because valuable forms aren't produced. After all it may take thousands of hours of labor and millions of Dollars to create a computer program. In the long run we are all richer if stuff isn't free.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:24 pm
Emperor Nero wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. Whether the taking of an intangible devalues a tangible doesn't really matter.

I am not sure why you say it doesn't matter, as you echo my sentiments here:
Quote:
It's not really about fairness, but about economic efficiency. If you don't control a form then you can't demand money for it's use. Some might say "great, then we can all have it", but that's forgetting the macroeconomic implications. If you can't sell something for money, then there is little use in producing it. And then we are all poorer because valuable forms aren't produced. In the long run we are all richer if stuff isn't free.

Perhaps it was the way I articulated the thought, but I was speaking from an economic standpoint just as you were.The macroeconomic implications were one of the things I was referring to. But I do have to disagree that the issue of fairness is irrelevant in general (but perhaps it is for this conversation).
Quote:
Because if something isn't scarce then there is no point in figuring out who gets to control it. Many commodities with value aren't scarce, like air and sunshine, but if what we wants adds up to less than there is, then everyone can have as much as they want. Only if there is a possible conflict of interest do we need to define who gets to control something.

What do you mean by scarce? I take it to mean that there is insufficient supply for a demand (because that is what it means). And there are many things I own for which there isn't insufficient supply for. For instance, my cell phone. There are millions of cell phones in stores right now just waiting to be bought, and yet I would think that I have ownership over my particular cell phone. And so therefore, it seems that I own something which isn't scarce. And yes, that applies no matter how many people have the same model of cell phone as I do.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:00 pm
I should have clarified that cell phones aren't scare where I live, but I do know that they may be scarce in other parts of the world.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
I was agreeing that copying doesn't "necessarily" take value away but clearly disputing your claim that it takes "nothing" away with examples where it clearly does.

Yes, you did.

"The only reason why I agree with physical property rights is because physical property is scarce. If I take your car, you can no longer use it. I've deprived you of something. If I take your ideas, you can still use them. I've deprived you of nothing."

You said I made a claim that nobody devalues intangible property when I was only making a claim about myself. You then try to claim otherwise by quoting only where I said that I don't devalue anything.

Anyways, you're on my ignore list now since you can't seem to keep this from getting personal unlike mostly respectful people such as EmperorNero and Zetherin.
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
So if someone has the same make and model as my car, I should feel more than comfortable to just open their car door and drive right off into the sunset? Oy vey.

It's not just the fact that there are two identical Lexus's parked on the street. It's the fact that there are an unlimited number of identical Lexus's parked on the street. There's a big difference and I think you know that.

Zetherin wrote:
Your mind was made up before you even created the thread, and I don't see you budging to the reason that presents itself.

I start from first principles and reason logically from there, wherever the implications take me. My first principles are that property rights only apply to scarce resources. Since copies of artwork aren't scarce, nobody has the right to control said copies. It's not that my mind was made up it's just that reality can't be changed. It's like claiming that my mind was made up that there's no evidence for God. I'm open to counterarguments but you haven't offered any that address the scarcity issue. You've just made appeals to consequences. People would lose money. There would be less artwork. These things don't concern me especially since I'm one of the people that stand to lose money.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:01 pm
NR, as far as I understand it, this is your main argument (please don't jump at me if I have it wrong; I may very well have it wrong, and if I do, just clarify why.)

Iff an asset is scarce should it have legal protection
Intangible assets are not scarce
Therefore intangible assets should not have legal protection

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I am not sure why you say it doesn't matter, (...) The macroeconomic implications were one of the things I was referring to.

That is true, I misread your comment.

Zetherin wrote:
What do you mean by scarce? I take it to mean that there is insufficient supply for a demand (because that is what it means). And there are many things I own for which there isn't insufficient supply for. For instance, my cell phone.

Yes, scarcity is insufficient supply for a demand; what we want adds up to less than there is. In a capitalist economy we convey scarcity through pricing. If something costs money then it is scarce.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:08 pm
EN,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and NR used the word "scarce" to simply mean that which has a finite quantity. But this needs some clarification. There are currently a finite number of MP3's in the world, but the fact that they could be theoretically copied indefinitely, is what makes you guys think MP3's are not "scarce"?
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

NR, as far as I understand it, this is your main argument (please don't jump at me if I have it wrong; I may very well have it wrong, and if I do, just clarify why.)

Iff an asset is scarce should it have legal protection
Intangible assets are not scarce
Therefore intangible assets should not have legal protection

Correct.

If all cars were identical and unlimited it would make no sense to me to claim that a particular car was yours. If someone drives off in "your" car then you just replace it with one of the other identical and unlimited cars. The only reason why taking something is morally wrong is when it is scarce. Indeed, it is the only time you can even claim that something has been taken from you. To put this back into context, imagine that I copied your MP3 collection and then you demanded that I "give it back" because those MP3's were yours. It makes no sense. The fact that you authored those songs doesn't even enter into it as far as I'm concerned.
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
but the fact that they could be theoretically copied indefinitely, is what makes you guys think MP3's are not "scarce"?

Correct.

Scarce resources are those which have limited supplies. We will never run out of copies of an MP3. Though we will run out of hard drive space, which is why hard drives are scarce and MP3's are not.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:15 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Correct.

Scarce resources are those which have limited supplies. We will never run out of copies of an MP3. Though we will run out of hard drive space, which is why hard drives are scarce and MP3's are not.

But you did agree with me earlier that forms are scarce, right? In fact they are singular.
EmperorNero

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

EN,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and NR used the word "scarce" to simply mean that which has a finite quantity. But this needs some clarification. There are currently a finite number of MP3's in the world, but the fact that they could be theoretically copied indefinitely, is what makes you guys think MP3's are not "scarce"?

Actually I use the same definition of scarcity as you do; insufficient supply.
Night Ripper does too, he just explains it in a weird way. Wink
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:25 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

EN,

Actually I use the same definition of scarcity as you do; insufficient supply.
Night Ripper does too, he just explains it in a weird way. Wink

I think that insufficient supply doesn't really work for me because that would include things that are limited in number but just don't have much of a demand, as a random example, vomit flavored jelly beans.