Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

I understand the difference quite well. Why do you think OJ lost in civil court over the death of his former wife? Victims of crimes can sue in civil court even if there is no conviction in criminal court.

You on the other hand seem to have a problem with telling the difference.

Night Ripper wrote:
Yet, you think we should be locking people up in rape dungeons just so you can watch "Transformers 3"?

Night Ripper wrote:
Remember that, all laws ultimately escalate to imprisonment or death, without exception, from littering to rape.

So, is it a crime or not Night Ripper? You seem confused about it now.

The reason why people get locked up is not the civil lawsuit but rather the refusal to give up their property when the results of the lawsuit demand that they do.

What you're doing is called quote mining which is where someone like yourself takes a single sentence out of context and tries to use it falsely to advance their argument.

All laws are ultimately threats of death or imprisonment. I've said this several times now.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:40 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
It violates the artist's control of his work.

Why do you think artists get control of their works? Do you have an argument for this or is this just something that you've decreed as gospel?

Joe Nation wrote:
the natural right of an artist to control the product of work has been recognized and defended.

Where? Could you quote it because I've missed it. All I see is yourself declaring that artists have some right but you never explain why they should.

Joe Nation wrote:
I can't explain it much better, there is something inherent about possessing and controlling what you have made, that allows you to share it or not share it, to sell it or not sell it, to allow anyone for no price to use, copy, reference or even change it OR not to allow anyone for any price to do anything with it.

You haven't explained it at all. You've just declared that it's the case. This is not very convincing to me.

Here's what you need to do, appeal to my sense of morality. I've already agreed that stealing is immoral, forced labor is immoral, fraud is immoral and so on. Yet you can't apply any of these things to copyright so that's why I remain unconvinced. I've already explained that I have just as much to lose from copyright laws as anyone else yet even though I'm biased towards the existence of copyright laws, I can't bring myself to perform the leaps of logic that you can.

Either put up or shut up.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:

The reason why people get locked up is not the civil lawsuit but rather the refusal to give up their property when the results of the lawsuit demand that they do.

How can the possibly win such a lawsuit unless the law says they own the property and it was stolen from them?
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:36 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Yet you can't apply any of these things to copyright so that's why I remain unconvinced

Actually, lots of people have applied those things to copyright. It's just that you don't want to believe it. That doesn't make it so. It only means you have declared a reality that few believe in.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:37 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

How can the possibly win such a lawsuit unless the law says they own the property and it was stolen from them?

If that's true then why aren't these people arrested for theft of property?
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:42 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:

Surely you aren't promoting that as your argument.

Failure to be arrested doesn't mean it isn't theft anymore than failure to be convicted means something isn't murder.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:44 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

parados wrote:

But, you didn't deal with my argument at all.
So, on what basis can such a lawsuit be won? Is it not because there was theft? The person accused is in possession of something he is not authorized to have by the owner of the property.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:55 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Failure to be arrested doesn't mean it isn't theft anymore than failure to be convicted means something isn't murder.

It's not a mere failure of the legal system to do something they are supposed to do. They can't arrest you for theft based on copyright infringement.

They can convict you for murder but they failed to. There's a difference. You must be smarter than this.

parados wrote:
So, on what basis can such a lawsuit be won? Is it not because there was theft? The person accused is in possession of something he is not authorized to have by the owner of the property.

The lawsuit is won on the grounds of copyright infringement not theft of property. The legal system recognizes that they are very different things.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:13 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
It's not a mere failure of the legal system to do something they are supposed to do. They can't arrest you for theft based on copyright infringement.

They can convict you for murder but they failed to.

1. Not all crimes are pursued. Surely you have to know that. The government doesn't have resources to make arrests for every crime.
2. Simply because a crime is not pursued is not evidence that the crime didn't happen.
3. Under our legal system we can sue to recover damages from a crime. If someone trespasses on my property repeatedly, I can sue for damages. They don't have to be arrested.

Quote:
You must be smarter than this.
Ad hominem? Really? You are going to resort to that. Ah well.

Quote:

The lawsuit is won on the ground of copyright infringement not theft of property. The legal system recognizes that they are very different things.

Now we are back to you arguing that there is no such thing as property rights. If someone owns something is that their property?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:34 pm
@parados,
Historically, criminal charges were only brought against those who were well-organized and sought to profit from the copyright infringement.

Recently, however, criminalizing copyright infringement has become more widespread.

Further, it's interesting that public resources are being used to protect private enterprise.

Over-Criminalizing Copyright

Quote:
Since I can't write as well as Sir Hugh, I will reproduce his remarks:
Quote:

And if it is permissible to bring criminal proceedings, why not do so? The threat of a criminal conviction hanging over an alleged infringer's head and the heads of its directors is much more likely to make them sue for peace than the mere risk of losing in civil proceedings. Like the prospect of being hanged, it does concentrate the mind. The fact that these statutory provisions are being used to enforce purely private commercial rights appears to be irrelevant. Furthermore, there is a great incentive to proceed in this way. The costs of the prosecuting copyright owner are usually paid out of central funds, even if the prosecution fails.

...Very few acts of infringement warrant criminal prosecution, which should be limited to large-scale commercial enterprises. With Justice laddie, I think that taxpayers' money should not be used to enforce private rights which are more than adequately protected by civil remedies, and I doubt many taxpayers share the view that theft, fraud, and violent crime are, absolutely or relatively, petty.

One argument against criminalizing small-scale copyright infringement, it seems to me, is that copyright infringement seems inherently non-violent.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:38 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
1. Not all crimes are pursued. Surely you have to know that. The government doesn't have resources to make arrests for every crime.
2. Simply because a crime is not pursued is not evidence that the crime didn't happen.
3. Under our legal system we can sue to recover damages from a crime. If someone trespasses on my property repeatedly, I can sue for damages. They don't have to be arrested.

You're dancing all around the point. The point is the government CANNOT arrest you for theft of property over copyright infringement. It's not that they don't want to or failed to. If they did it would be FALSE ARREST.

Quote:
Ad hominem? Really? You are going to resort to that. Ah well.

Not every insult is an ad hominem. Learn the difference. I just have a feeling that in the back of your mind that you have to be aware of what you're doing. You must know that your arguments are fallacious and that you're twisting words to suit you. I just believe that you have more intelligence that you are showing and that you have a conscience. I'm appealing to your sense of pride and honor so that you will stop presenting weak arguments that even you would not be convinced of if you weren't biased.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Copyright is slightly different in that it sets out different rights for the property holder compared to tangible assets. But because the law sets out specifics about what owners can do doesn't mean they don't own the property any more than laws about homesteading mean those people don't own the property they homestead.

Quote:

One argument against criminalizing small-scale copyright infringement, it seems to me, is that copyright infringement seems inherently non-violent.
The law recognizes this in that it sets civil remedies for small infringements. The law also recognizes that the copyright owners rights aren't absolute.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
The point is the government CANNOT arrest you for theft of property over copyright infringement. It's not that they don't want to or failed to.

But you can be arrested for copyright infringement Night

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002319----000-.html

You are arguing semantics when you argue it isn't for theft of property.

Simple question for you. Can anyone own something that isn't property?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:50 pm
I guess I win by default?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:05 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
But you can be arrested for copyright infringement Night

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002319----000-.html

You should actually read your link, particularly where it explains what criminal copyright infringement is. It's not simply downloading content for free. You actually have to distribute. My argument stands. You can't be arrested for downloading content without authorization.

Don't just take my word for it. Here's what the supreme court says...

Quote:
Interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: ... 'an infringer of the copyright.' ...

The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.
—Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207, pp. 217–218
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@Night Ripper,
yes, and?
Clearly the USSC said
Quote:
infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

So.. doesn't that defeat your argument that you can do it simply because it isn't "theft'?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

yes, and?
Clearly the USSC said
Quote:
infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

So.. doesn't that defeat your argument that you can do it simply because it isn't "theft'?

No because that's not saying it's theft. It's saying that it's more complex than any of those things i.e. it's not theft.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 02:16 pm
@Night Ripper,
No, the USSC court only ruled it wasn't theft as defined under 2314 because Congress could and did address it as a separate issue.

The court didn't rule it wasn't theft at all.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:00 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

No, the USSC court only ruled it wasn't theft as defined under 2314 because Congress could and did address it as a separate issue.

The court didn't rule it wasn't theft at all.

They ruled it was copyright infringement, not theft.

Anyways, that's why I can download your art all day and never get arrested but if I steal your wallet then I will get arrested. It's the difference between a crime and a civil tort.

I'm not interested in beating this dead horse. You haven't equated copying with theft so let's move on.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:02 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
They ruled it was copyright infringement, not theft.

No, they ruled it wasn't theft under 2314 which started out just dealing with auto theft.

Quote:
I'm not interested in beating this dead horse. You haven't equated copying with theft so let's move on.
Actually, you haven't shown that the USSC ruled it wasn't "theft" under any circumstances.