The Founding Fathers: When Were They Right, When Were They Left

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
@plainoldme,
Yeah. But the Americans had no money to pay for it. WHERE did they get it ? Right here in Amsterdam. Napelon forced bankers to loan to the USA so he could fight on. Amsterdam lost her gold in thât period of War.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:18 am
@joefromchicago,
BTW, your quote from Wiki is contradicted in other Wiki entries.

Look how broad that statement is. Look back to your own education.

Now, the leading figures of Early Modern England were Liz I and Willy o' Avon. Some historians refer to the time of Henry VIII to his last daughter as the English Renaissance and had a rationale for the Renaissance having begun in southern Europe. However, in the second half of the 20th C., the reputation of northern Europe changed.

Are you aware of the work of Henri Pirenne? Pirenne said that without Mohamad there would have been no Charlemagne. He had a lot of other things to say about trade, the role of the Germanic so-called barbarians and more.

Initially, scholars worked to disprove Pirenne. For several years, Pirenne and his thesis were in eclipse but modern archeaological methods began to prove Pirenne right.

Although I no longer attend the meetings of the Harvard Medieval Society as faithfully as I did, in part because I moved 100 miles from Boston and, in part, because one of my professors went on sabbatical around the time I moved, causing a rupture in the flow of the group, today's Medievalist uses a great many scientific tools and many of the HMS meetings explained those tools.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:20 am
@BillRM,
Isn't the fact that Hamilton was his own man one of the points that I am trying to make? When we look back in time, we sometimes see reflections of ourselves but we also see reflections of others.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:22 am
@plainoldme,
Are you talking about the Hamiltons of the Bermuda Isles or I am confused with the Bahama's may-bee?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:32 am
@djjd62,
YO go but mind your papers burning Constitions
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:48 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

No, the Renaissance follows the Middle Ages. Then comes the Reformation (sometimes the Counter Reformation is put in after the Reformation). The Reformation goes hand-in-hand with the invention of the printing press and the two together signal the beginning of the Early Modern Age. The Early Modern Age is followed by the Age of Reason and then by the Enlightenment.

No doubt someone told you, at some point, that "early modern" referred solely to the Elizabethan era. Perhaps that was one of your teachers at that Catholic high school you attended. I wouldn't be surprised. My high school's history department was also the dumping ground for all sorts of golf coaches, drivers ed instructors, and other incompetent teachers. I'm sure Sister Mary Elephant had the best of intentions when she told you that "early modern" was a term used exclusively in connection with the Elizabethan era, and that the "age of reason" and the "age of enlightenment" were two different eras, but you were misinformed. "Early modern" typically refers to the period between roughly 1450 and 1800. You can learn more about by reading these books:

Early Modern Europe, 1450-1789 (Cambridge History of Europe)
Early Modern Europe: An Oxford History
Popular Culture in Early Modern Europe
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:49 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
What is a person from the Netherland doing doing on this thread?

You have some interest in US history?

In any case we are talking about the Hamilton born on the island of Nevis.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@joefromchicago,
Who care as long as we are on the same page of the time periods we are talking about?

Historians can be annoying in picking names and labels for dates and places in a very arbitrary manner that does in fact change over time.

I hate the insane renaming of the Eastern Roman Empire to the Byzantium Empire for no logical reason I can see for example.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:22 am
@BillRM,
What about the Latin Empire ?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
I've been patient and tolerant of you but you are making an ass of yourself.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:30 pm
@plainoldme,
Your logic is unassailable.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:13 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
"Early modern" typically refers to the period between roughly 1450 and 1800.

History departments in Europa are following this line: they are 'divided' within the history faculties exactly that way. (See the various chairs.)

French, English and German teaching books could be added as well.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We typically count till the Fall of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, I seem to re-mneme-ber... Not very sure; could also be 1814 (Waterloo and the Wiener Restoration)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:41 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Early Modern Times, you mean? That would be the same here. Followed by Modern Times mad "Most Recent Modern Times" (that period then is different from university to university, mainly due to the interest of the chair).
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Early Modern Times, you mean? That would be the same here. Followed by Modern Times mad "Most Recent Modern Times" (that period then is different from university to university, mainly due to the interest of the chair).

This whole naming of time periods is completely arbitrary so why are we wasting our time on the issue?

We can used dates instead and go back to talking about the founding fathers!
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:51 am
@BillRM,
Who found the Americas ?
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:14 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Quote:
Who found the Americas ?

Depend what you mean by "found" does it not?

The waves of peoples who came over the land bridge during the last ice age.

Such people as the Vikings who there is some indication visited the Americans but set up no long lasting colonies as a result.

Or the European settlement of the Americas that stated in 1492.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@BillRM,
i-MIND MY OWN MIGRATION
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
@BillRM,
I always heard the Eastern Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire used interchangeably.

As a writer, I have always hated repetition. It is good to have synonyms to make a piece less boring.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:43 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Have you heard the phrase "Latin Empire" used? Is that the Roman Empire?