The Founding Fathers: When Were They Right, When Were They Left

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@djjd62,
I knew you would come up with something that would tickle the funny bone! Thanks!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:20 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

For several months, I have been frustrated by the prominent righties ....

.....don't fool yourself:.... to suggest, as you have done in this thread, that Bill Clinton would be a Federalist or that Patrick Henry would be a Democrat because of his opposition to the monarchical aspirations of the Bush family, doesn't even reach the level of simplistic -- it merely aspires to be simplistic.

Indeed PlainOld's analysis could never hope to rise to the heights described by "simplistic". It seems to me though that you skipped over the motive behind this nonsensical screed; it's in her opening statement here: profound frustration accruing over many months. Such a motive completely overwhelms any rational search for the truth; no argument can be made on the topic as defined here, because the entire topic is based on quasi-religious fervor. For reasons unrelated to the founding fathers I've been going over old texts on US monetary policy. One pearl from 1933 - following Franklin Roosevelt's $ depreciation relative to gold - encapsulates the nature of PlainOld's rant. Senator Ashurst of Arizona (traditionally a bimetallism-supporting state), pressed by Secretary Morgenthau about his obsession with silver, replied:
Quote:
"My boy, I was brought up from my mother's knee on silver, and I can't discuss that with you any more than you can discuss your religion with me".

It's not easy to explain to PlainOld the difference between argument and rant, so I won't try, but will watch your efforts with interest Smile
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:51 am
@joefromchicago,
I am sorry that you seem to hold me to higher standard than popular media, here an internet forum, demands. As I have willingly said this is not on an academic level and I do not have the time . . . or, indeed . . . the interest to do an academic level statement on the matter. I also pointed out that your reply is hardly on the academic level either.

Indeed, the statements I make here are partially made from consensus. Some are made from mild humor. If you do not like this thread, turn off updates. Simple.

I seem to remember enjoying your posts. I will chalk up the tone here to the hot weather and ignore these statements.
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:56 am
Moving on from my quibbles about nomenclature....

In evaluating historical figures, I find it useful to distinguish between states (as in where things stood) on the one hand and rates of change on the other.

So what was the state of the Founding Fathers' political thinking? Off the top of my head, I can make out fourt themes that strike me as relevant from today's perspective:
  • States Rights. The founding fathers---even the federalists---favored a small federal government, incapable of doing to the States what Britain tried to do to the colonies. The fault line of political disagreement back then was whether the US government can establish a National Bank. Today, only conservative crank politicians try to abolish the Fed anymore. By this measure, then, the founding fathers were conservative. Generally speaking, states rights tend to be a cause of today's rights, though they did have distinguished liberali champions as well. (See Louis Brandeis.)

• Civil Rights of the non-white, the non-propertied, and the women: In general, he Founding Fathers agreed they should be limited or nonexistent. At least half of them approved of slavery in principle. Many more than half of them owned slaves in practice. Today, in practice, it is usually conservatives who try to make it hard for poor and minoritiy citizens to become registered voters.

• The welfare state:The Founding Fathers, Federalist or Republican, would have considered poor relief a community matter, not a federal matter. Politicians who agree with them today would be considered conservative.

• Religion: All the Founding Fathers were, at least nominally, religious. Although I have no positive evidence that they were creationists, that's what I'd expect them to be. Without Darwinian evolution to present a credible alternative, it would have been the default position.

So based on the state of Founding-Father attitudes, they look pretty conservative.

But for a fair assessment, you also have to look at the direction into which they tried to move the status quo. Let's go to the list again.
  • States rights: Although it's hard to measure these things: I'd say the power of the Federal government under the 10th Amendment was more limited than the power of the British government in the colonial system. I call this one for the conservatives.

• Civil Rights: Thomas Paine's rhetoric notwithstanding, I don't think the revolution changed much for women and non-propertied males. For slaves, the success of the revolution was probably a setback. The slaves would probably have been freed if the Founding Fathers had lost. I call this one for the conservatives.

• The Welfare State: The revolution didn't touch that subject. So that's neutral.

• Religion: Although the Founding Fathers didn't entirely escape the constraints of their time, they tended to be more secular than average for their time. Certainly, the government they set up was much more tolerant of non-conformist religious views. In particular, I can't think of any other government at the time that explicitly prohibited religious tests for public office hoders. I call this one for the liberals.

Summing up, the founding fathers's attitudes look distinctly conservative to me if judged by the state of their attitudes. They look conservative in part and liberal in part if judged by the direction they took the country in. Politically, I think liberals would be well advised not to get too upset with the conservative claim that they have strayed from what the Founding Fathers wanted America to be. They should own the fact that they have moved beyond the founders slaveholding, women-suppressing, disenfranchising ways, and should take pride in it.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
@High Seas,
Ah, high seas. I have ignored your posts since coming back to this forum although I have not put you on ignore. I must say that I have been taken aback by the nastiness and acidity of your tone. The two or three others that match you in nastiness, I put on ignore, sending them to internet Coventry.

Someone here addressed you as Helen. I wondered whether you were the person that some lefties thought so highly of, magginkat among them. I never understood her publicly stated admiration for you, if, indeed, that is who you are.

Certainly, I have seen nothing admirable in the tone of the posts I have read since February. Skewering others seems an advocation of yours.

I find it interesting that you choose to psycho-analyze me. An attempt that ended in one of your signature ugly remarks.

Your analysis is incorrect as are your word choices. I know you are proud that you can read ancient Greek and you like to degrade those who can not. Well, perhaps, those who can not simply didn't take an elective that semester because they were working to finance their degrees.

Your tone, when you are not demeaning others, is old-fashioned, fussy, and that of a "stuffed shirt." What is odd is that despite your formality and your education, you are not a lady.

If you do not like this thread or what I have to say, you can turn off updates.

I never attack anyone first and you have attacked me more than once since I returned. I have disregarded your pettiness as I have never given you reason to pummel me. Heavens, you have been nasty enough to several others. Thank you for confirming my established opinion of you.
High Seas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:07 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I find it interesting that you choose to psycho-analyze me. ...
... I know you are proud that you can read ancient Greek and you like to degrade those who can not.

Any source for either of those utterly absurd statements? Other than impotent frustration on your part - already noted by you and others.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:18 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I am sorry that you seem to hold me to higher standard than popular media, here an internet forum, demands.

I don't hold you to a higher standard. That you don't hold yourself to a higher standard is, on the other hand, rather surprising.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
I will answer this in an PM. I do not wish to drag on the argument and I would like to point out something.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:08 pm
@Thomas,
yes, they would have considered "poor relief" a community matter, perhaps, the subject of a "faith based initiative."

Generally, those who were poor often indentured themselves. The sort of people who received help from communities might have been widows, war veterans and the sick. Even then, they would live on in poverty.

Besides, the colonies were pretty much an agrarian society at the time, with an economy most of us today could not understand.

Apparently, many female indentured servants married male Black slaves in the earliest years of European settlement on these shores. These people probably came in contact with each other more than they came in contact with their masters. This was also not the romantic era of the nobleman falling in love with the beautiful factory girl. These people were something akin to untouchables.

Before the 17th Century was over, there were laws against blacks and whites intermarrying. An indentured woman who became pregnant would be punished by an extended indenture. Virginia decided that the state of the mother would dictate the state of her chid: a slave woman gave birth to a slave child. This allowed slaves to continue to be used after the slave trade ended.

Punishing a woman for a matter that also involved a man struck a blow against the standing of women.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
In evaluating historical figures, I find it useful to distinguish between states (as in where things stood) on the one hand and rates of change on the other.

So what was the state of the Founding Fathers' political thinking? Off the top of my head, I can make out fourt themes that strike me as relevant from today's perspective:
  • States Rights. The founding fathers---even the federalists---favored a small federal government, incapable of doing to the States what Britain tried to do to the colonies. The fault line of political disagreement back then was whether the US government can establish a National Bank. Today, only conservative crank politicians try to abolish the Fed anymore. By this measure, then, the founding fathers were conservative. Generally speaking, states rights tend to be a cause of today's rights, though they did have distinguished liberali champions as well. (See Louis Brandeis.)

Again, some historical perspective is in order here. The great centralizers of power in the 17th and 18th centuries were the monarchs of Europe. They might, with some justice, be called conservative, but their rivals were the feudal lords and the church, which were positively reactionary in comparison. That's why many philosophes and other Enlightenment figures, like Voltaire, attached themselves to monarchs. From that perspective, centralizing power was actually quite a liberal force. But then that just shows how useless these modern labels are when applied to the distant past.
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
As I understand Plainoldme, the trigger for her starting this thread was that A2K conservatives are claiming that today's conservatism is closer to the Founder's vision of America than today's liberalism is. She disagrees with this marketing claim of American conservatives, and wants to re-claim them, at least in part, for America's liberals.

I, in turn, disagree with Plainoldme's disagreement. I think today's conservatives are closer to the general political attitudes of America's founding-era. (Which is a bad thing about today's American conservatives.)

Of course, I could be wrong. Certainly, if Plainoldme's motives are what I think they are, it doesn't make sense to pin modern labels on 1787 politics. You're quite right to point that out.

Perhaps Plainoldme could give us a heads-up what she is hoping to accomplish with this thread?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:12 pm
@Thomas,
No, I really do not wish to reclaim the FFs for the liberals. What I am trying to demonstrate is that what is left and what is right does change over time and that the FFs do not fit into our current scheme.

I am not pinning modern labels on anyone. I am taking what the FFs said and did and trying to fit their actions into the consensus on today's political situation. I am only pointing out what the parallels are.

Frankly, today's definition of a conservative was not the definition that was current 40 years ago.

Furthermore, although the left admired Jefferson during the '60s, it largely decamped a few years back.

my title says it all: When were they right, when were they left?

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:21 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
my title says it all: When were they right, when were they left?

... and in the light of your insight that the Founding Fathers don't fit into our current scheme, I don't see how this question is supposed to make sense.

All I can say is that almost all aspects of founding-father politics, if revived today, would suit today's conservatives more than today's liberals. The only exception I can think of was the Supreme Court's Eminent-Domain decision in Kelo vs. New London, which was more originalist than O'Connor's more conservative dissent (which the alleged originalists, Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas, joined).
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:34 pm
@joefromchicago,
Did you really mean to say the feudal lords and the Church?
Quote:
The great centralizers of power in the 17th and 18th centuries were the monarchs of Europe. They might, with some justice, be called conservative, but their rivals were the feudal lords and the church, which were positively reactionary in comparison

Feudalism was dead . . . or in its death throes before Europeans migrated to the New World. Feudalism is not viewed as it was in the first half of the 20th C. It is now recognized to have had different forms. In fact, the word feudalism wasn't used in the Middle Ages but was a product of the Age of Enlightenment.

The Church wasn't what it had been during the Medieval period because of the Reformation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
In fact, the word feudalism wasn't used in the Middle Ages but was a product of the Age of Enlightenment.

Well, the sources (in Latin) name feudum, feodum, beneficium. Might well be that sources in English have different names for that.

plainoldme wrote:
The Church wasn't what it had been during the Medieval period because of the Reformation.

Again, that depends of the region/country you're looking at. For instance, here in the Holy Roman Empire, we still had a couple of independent "states" with churchmen as head - even reformed/protestant/evangelical, by the way.

Besides that, I agree what joe and Thomas wrote: it's more than difficult to use our modern words for any period in the past. Especially, since even the equivalent terms of those days were used with different meanings ... (e.g. look at the Diethmarschen Peasants Republic - even the English translation leads you to the wrong track, since it were farmers, no peasants [we've just one word for that in German] ...)

High Seas

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 05:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting you bring that up: new technologies in studying original documents finally shed light on the original intent of the founders.
Quote:
..... in a moment when history took a sharp turn, Jefferson sought quite methodically to expunge the word....and write over it. Many words were crossed out and replaced in the draft, but only one was obliterated. Over the smudge, Jefferson then wrote the word "citizens." [...]....."citizens" is used elsewhere in that document and "subjects" is not. [..] Jefferson had been writing his early version based on the first draft of Virginia's constitution, where the words "our fellow subjects" appear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/02/AR2010070205525.html
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:52 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Did you really mean to say the feudal lords and the Church?

Yes.

plainoldme wrote:
Feudalism was dead . . . or in its death throes before Europeans migrated to the New World.

Elements of feudalism persisted through to the end of the Ancien Regime in western Europe, and beyond that in eastern Europe. The last great feudal revolt took place in France in the middle of the 17th century. Serfdom wasn't abolished in Austria until 1781, and it persisted in Russia until 1861. The nobility retained many of its feudal privileges, including the corvée or robot, through the end of the 18th century.

plainoldme wrote:

Are you suggesting it wasn't a powerful and reactionary force in the early modern period?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Feodum indeed is a Latin word that meant a fief. People did call a grant of land a fief. They did not use the word feudalism and they did not consider what they were engaged in as a governmental or economic system.

Feudalism as it was described from the 17th through the mid-20th C would not have been possible in several European areas. In Ireland, for example, the land was held by families and the use of the land was designated by the head of the family. Parallel to the way feudalism has been described but not exactly the same. The historian and Resistance hero Marc Bloch was largely responsible for the redefining of feudalism.

Well, despite so much disapproval being demonstrated, I have listened to a similar discussion before in a serious lecture situation.

I think there are a few points that you and joe and thomas are disregarding:

1.) Politicians from both sides of the political spectrum pay homage to the FFs. The FFs wax and wane as role models. Jefferson was the hero of the left during the 60s, despite having been a slave owner. His popularity diminished rapidly in the 70s. Adams is enjoying a revival of his reputation.

2.) But the FFs are still with us, not because we might admire or revile them, but because they produced the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, the Supreme Court, the system of checks and balances, the banking system. It is difficult to ignore them. They continue to determine how we live our political live, so, we have to deal with them, flaws and all.

3.) Contrary to the manner in which I was painted a few posts ago, I am generally coolheaded when I responded to posts, no matter how ridiculous I think they are. If they really upset me, I will rub my hands together. That said, I honestly felt it better to produce an outline showing that actions and attitudes that we might call liberal today were present at the end of the 17th C., just as actions and attitudes we might call conservative were there in full bloom.

And I really was inspired by a long ago lecture. I am just not certain when it was given or by whom. I feel I have a precedent for my action.

If the truth be known, there are things about many of the FFs I admire: their linguistic skill, their imagination, their work ethic (even if they were the 'fat cats' of their day . . . or is that too close to putting the present into the past, the opposite of what this thread is about?), their scientific curiosity, their taste. There are just as many things about them that appall me. They knew slavery was something to be ashamed of. Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings, who was (most likely) the half-sister of his wife, existed in a context where it was acceptable for a wealthy white man to have sex with a powerless woman, who was powerless not just because she was female but because she was a black slave.

4.) Why am I on trial for presenting a discussion of a topic common enough to call up 1,470,000 responses when googled?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

Are you suggesting it wasn't a powerful and reactionary force in the early modern period?

Are you putting words in my mouth?

The Early Modern Period was the age of Shakespeare and Elizabeth, of the Reformation. It was not the Age of the Enlightenment which was separated from the Reformation by the Age of Reason.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:15 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Feudalism as it was described from the 17th through the mid-20th C would not have been possible in several European areas. In Ireland, for example, the land was held by families and the use of the land was designated by the head of the family. Parallel to the way feudalism has been described but not exactly the same. The historian and Resistance hero Marc Bloch was largely responsible for the redefining of feudalism.

I heartly invite you to re-read Bloch - La société féodale is online.
(Mainly relevant here for this discussion: DEUXIÈME PARTIE, Livre deuxième; La vassalité et le fief.; CHAPITRE III. — Tour d’horizon européen : I. La diversité française — Sud-Ouest et Normandie. — II. L’Italie. — III. L’Allemagne. — IV. Hors de l’emprise carolingienne : l’Angleterre anglo -saxonne et l’Espagne des royaumes asturo -léonais. — V. Les féodalités d’importation.)