The Founding Fathers: When Were They Right, When Were They Left

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:18 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Are you putting words in my mouth?

No, I was asking you a question. Are you going to answer it?

plainoldme wrote:
The Early Modern Period was the age of Shakespeare and Elizabeth, of the Reformation. It was not the Age of the Enlightenment which was separated from the Reformation by the Age of Reason.

In history, the early modern era of modern history follows the late Middle Ages. Historians refer to the period beginning in AD 1453 and lasting to AD 1789.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:19 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

The Early Modern Period was the age of Shakespeare and Elizabeth, of the Reformation. It was not the Age of the Enlightenment which was separated from the Reformation by the Age of Reason.

We certainly can discuss the various periods in science, art, religion etc. But either you use the normal terms like it's used in history or try to stick to one kind of names. Mixing them just enlarges the confusion, IMHO.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:31 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I, in turn, disagree with Plainoldme's disagreement. I think today's conservatives are closer to the general political attitudes of America's founding-era. (Which is a bad thing about today's American conservatives.)

I imagine that, if any of the founding fathers came back to life today and regarded the political situation, they would all be appalled at the rampant "liberalism" going on. These were, as you point out, people who were pretty well content with slavery and treating women like second-class citizens. They also had few problems with property qualifications for voting, corporal punishment, and state-sponsored religious education. But then they lived in an era when all of this was taken for granted. Today's "liberalism" is really a product of the progressive era, the New Deal, and the civil rights movement, which happened long after the Federal period. If Thomas Jefferson or George Washington went through all of that, they might have had vastly different perspectives on things.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:04 pm
@joefromchicago,
No, the Renaissance follows the Middle Ages. Then comes the Reformation (sometimes the Counter Reformation is put in after the Reformation). The Reformation goes hand-in-hand with the invention of the printing press and the two together signal the beginning of the Early Modern Age. The Early Modern Age is followed by the Age of Reason and then by the Enlightenment.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm sorry but historians do define the Early Modern Period as the time of Shakespeare and Elizabeth.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I have read Bloch, more than once. I have an extensive collection of books on Medieval history.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
I did answer your question. The Catholic Church was weakened by the Reformation, both politically and economically. As I went to Catholic school, historical periods were so divided as to allow for a Counter-Reformation which is not part of the public school curriculum.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
So, you discount the contribution of the labor union movement to the formation of liberalism?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:43 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I'm sorry but historians do define the Early Modern Period as the time of Shakespeare and Elizabeth.

Well, we've got other definitions here in (continental) Europe.

plainoldme wrote:

No, the Renaissance follows the Middle Ages. Then comes the Reformation (sometimes the Counter Reformation is put in after the Reformation). The Reformation goes hand-in-hand with the invention of the printing press and the two together signal the beginning of the Early Modern Age. The Early Modern Age is followed by the Age of Reason and then by the Enlightenment.

Renaissance certainly is part of history. But generally, the Middle Ages are followed by the Modern Times. And the "border" is the Reformation (here: 1521 or more generally "1500") as well as the invention of the printing press.

The Age of Reason and the Enlightenment are within the period of Modern Times ...
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:06 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
That's basically correct but the situation was sooooo much more complex.

Complex given that the Federal party kill itself by talking about a large part of the North leaving the union during the 1812 war and even having some of it leadership meeting with a British agent to that end.

Nothing in American history is ever simple.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:07 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
One thing that people seem to never take into account is the difference is technology makes in political philosophy. Rich farmers like Jefferson and Washington, despite being scientifically sophisticated for their day, would never imagine our world and our world in technological terms does shape our politics.

Hamilton would however.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:09 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
What they really were was an association of terrorist slaveholders. As terrorists, they recklessly disregarded the rules of civilized warfare as commonly understood in their time, and as the British Army generally respected it. As slaveholders, they hypocritically marketed their devious cause as a fight for freedom. In reality, of course, Americans would have been freer much sooner if the Rebellion had lost their war to the lawful authorities. Certainly, slavery would have ended as soon as it ended in Canada. It's worth pointing out that the British army freed the slaves in all the Southern territories it occupied. The "freedom-loving" "Founding Fathers", by contrast, lynched or re-enslaved them as quickly as they could get hold of them.

Talk about misapplying our current morals to the past in a big time manner.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:11 am
@joefromchicago,
Patrick Henry did not wish for a US in any fashion but for the Articles of Confereration.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:13 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
favored a small federal government, incapable of doing to the States what Britain tried to do to the colonies. The fault line of political disagreement back then was whether the US government can establish a National Bank. Today, only conservative crank politicians try to abolish the Fed anymore. By this measure, then, the founding fathers were conservative. Generally speaking, states rights tend to be a cause of today's rights, though they did have distinguished liberali champions as well. (See Louis Brandeis.)

Once more Hamilton would not fit under your theory at all.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:47 am
@plainoldme,
Jefferson was all for limited power until he became President and ended up using all the power the constitution grant him and then a little bit more to engineer the doubling of the country.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:47 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
if revived today, would suit today's conservatives more than today's liberals.

NONSENSE
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
imagine that, if any of the founding fathers came back to life today and regarded the political situation, they would all be appalled at the rampant "liberalism" going on.

Hamilton for sure would be very happy indeed.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So, you would insist that I not adhere to the history books that were used throughout my school years?

And, while the Age of Reason is a designation that is sometimes not used, the Enlightenment is always set off as a separate and remarkable period. Whether scholars date the beginning of the Enlightenment to Descartes' Discourse on the Method or to Newton's Principia Mathematica changes the beginning of the period by 50 years. The ending is usually the French Revolution although some mark the termination with the Napoleonic Wars.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:47 am
@BillRM,
It's true that Jefferson "acted with expedience" in purchasing a good chunk of North America from Napoleon. The fight that ensued over the purchase makes fascinating reading . . . or watching as it was covered in the PBS program on the Louisiana Purchase.

The irony is Jefferson originally sought to buy the port of New Orleans. No one knew what he bought, neither the French nor the fledgling American nation.

I can't help but think that Napoleon sold "Louisiana" in part to thumb his nose at the British.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:02 am
The Pilgrim Fathers were a group of Britisch Puritans. They first spend 5 years in the Netherlands in the town of Leyden, famous for the first University in the Republic of The Netherlands. It was founded by the Princely Orange-Nassau family. Gossip is they left because of enormous debts with Amsterdam bankers, not to escape religeous prosecution as they claim. They established a colony at Plymouth in Massachusetts.
Rolling Eyes 2 Cents Laughing
0 Replies