This forum is useless

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:29 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

Specter wrote:
I loved the PhilForum because people couldn't just spit out nonsensical topics like "Vacuum Cleaners" that Joefromchicago seems perfectly content with posting.

don't philosophers use vacuums?

how do you clean your carpets?

i bet i use my vacuum about as much as i contemplate the meaning of life, once a week or so

plus, there can be a philosophical side to vacuuming, is it ethical to kill dust bunnies?

and another thing, how did i miss JfromC's vacuum thread, must go look that up

Vacuum cleaners?! Real philosophers have hardwood, laminate, or cement floors! We use a broom and a mop, just as Plato did before us. We would never expose ourselves to the decadence of wall-to-wall, besides the cynics tend to make a mess of them! Your argument, sir, is as empty as your vacuum! Exclamation point!

Yeah, but if you have CATS (as any good philosopher ought, to ground themselves with, as no cat will ever think you brilliant) using brooms and mops takes SO much time away from philosophizing! You NEED a vacuum cleaner....and it behoovers you to pick well.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:30 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that's why i can't ignore anyone, i tried once, but i kept reading the posts anyway

This is because you are the bad apple in the bunch.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:32 pm
@dlowan,
that, and my slow down to see the accident and pick at the scab personality
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:32 pm
@dlowan,
I seriously love brooming my floor. I am all up-set when I have to skip it a day. It a form of meditation to me. Not t0 think; not to philosophiz. Peaceful... Rolling Eyes
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:34 pm
@dlowan,
Oh damn...this is what happens when you don't read the whole thread before posting in high dudgeon...you already lightened up, in fact you seem pretty cute by now.

Sorry about rant.

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
i didn't think your ranting was too heavy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:36 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

dlowan wrote:
your bum still looks funny

even in these pants? Crying or Very sad

Well, yes.

ALL bums are funny!!!

There we go, wandering around all high and mighty like, and there are these bum cheeks under there, and all kinds of other plumbing and all, and it's funny when you think about it.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:39 pm
@dlowan,
true, watching news coverage of the heat wave, showing people at the beach, saw more of humanity then should be allowed by law
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:40 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I seriously love brooming my floor. I am all up-set when I have to skip it a day. It a form of meditation to me. Not t0 think; not to philosophiz. Peaceful... Rolling Eyes

I agree.

And, along with the meditative/mindfulness aspects., I do my best thinking when I am involved in some mundane task.

I used to write all my essays in my head when I was waitressing, for instance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that, and my slow down to see the accident and pick at the scab personality

Slowing down for accidents is DISGUSTING!!!!

Picking scabs is normal, of course.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:43 pm
@dlowan,
well it's more metaphorical accident watching, like following the Lindsay Lohan debacle on the gossip sites (oh dear lord, did i just admit to that Embarrassed )
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:45 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

well it's more metaphorical accident watching, like following the Lindsay Lohan debacle on the gossip sites (oh dear lord, did i just admit to that Embarrassed )

I am sure there is a twelve step program for that.

You have made the first step to ending your tragic thralldom to this terrible addiction, you brave little fruit, you!!!

May dog be with you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:51 pm
@Rockhead,
are you sure he's wearing pants?

positively sure?
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:53 pm
@ehBeth,
it's hot, but not that hot yet

YET!
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:56 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it's hot, but not that hot yet

YET!

You're an apple. Your naughty bits were left behind when you abandoned the tree.

Go for it hon...but don't you bake yourself none. You hear?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

You shouldn't lose a friend just because he decided a forum is useless.

As for "certain cynical sick humour" people have different tastes, some people find the posturing condescension from the humorless just as offputting. Such is life, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, and find that seeking out what I enjoy and eschewing what I don't is easier than complaining about what I don't most of the time.

Can't I be both condescending and sickly humorous?

In your case, you have the rare talent of doing both extremely well and often covertly. I seek out your posts for those golden nuggets of hilarious humanity.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:14 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Well yeah, but I guess unless you were reading the specific thread that the specific post concerning this was on, how would you know to check your settings?

It's no big deal as I just did what Osso told me to do, but I have to say that all this popularity stuff is a little wearing to me too. I'm not complaining - I can live with it - I just don't really understand the need for it.

What you've just described is an oxymoron.

First you describe the frustration in not being able to stay informed about changes on A2K unless you happen to be reading the threads everyone else is reading to learn about them.

Then, you talk about how all the popularity stuff is a little wearing on you and you don't understand the need for it.

The need for something like the popularity stuff is so that folks like you who don't frequent the site regularly, and/or don't read all the new topics when they do, can still easily catch up with the hot/popular topics the community is currently discussing.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Except that, like a few others, I tried the 'Popular' button once. Why just once, you might ask.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
The need for something like the popularity stuff is so that folks like you who don't frequent the site regularly, and/or don't read all the new topics when they do, can still easily catch up with the hot/popular topics the community is currently discussing.
that explanation would fly if topics were rated by post per hour or something, not when they are rated by often emotion driven irrational humans.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
If posts per hour were the measure of popularity there would be a lot of people expecting popular threads that would find mundane, mindless stuff instead. Get over the fact that none of your posts reach the popular level as it now stands.

Emotion driven irrational humans? Do you mean us regular folks?