This forum is useless

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:32 am
Since over taking over the previous forum, I find this nearly new forum useless as a means of good philosophical dialog
So I will unsubscibe

Alan McDougall
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 45 • Views: 17,494 • Replies: 266

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
As with most things in life, it's what you make of it. Your philosophy comrades were given some land to rebuild your home and you can either choose to do so or not. Sorry to see you pack up and move before the foundation is even set.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:54 am
@Green Witch,
So what do you want us all to know with your departure? Being unsatisfied is one of the things that life presents us all. Seems that someone so versed in philosophy should understand so elementary a concept.

I get a kick out of people who say goodbye under whatever pretenses they choose, and all they are doing is going out to their refrigerator , stoking up on junk food, and coming back to the keyboard to find their Nirvanna at another www. Doesnt the entire "computer community" seem so ******* absurd?
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:11 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

Since over taking over the previous forum, I find this nearly new forum useless as a means of good philosophical dialog
So I will unsubscibe

Alan McDougall

ta ta

close the door behind you
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

So what do you want us all to know with your departure? Being unsatisfied is one of the things that life presents us all. Seems that someone so versed in philosophy should understand so elementary a concept.

I get a kick out of people who say goodbye under whatever pretenses they choose, and all they are doing is going out to their refrigerator , stoking up on junk food, and coming back to the keyboard to find their Nirvanna at another www. Doesnt the entire "computer community" seem so ******* absurd?

yep
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

So I will unsubscibe

Alan McDougall

One can choose to accept change; make the change work to their benefit; or, whine about it and go into their corner. It seems that you have chosen the later. Pity.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:35 am
I reckon it is OK, and I appreciate that attitude of all the folks here, and the people running it. Actually one thing I am enjoying are the Oz Politics threads.

The software isn't as polished as philforum, and that is an objective judgement, not a complaint. I haven't ever paid for any of this, so I don't understand the point of complaining about it. One either clicks on the address and turns up and interacts, or not.

I have been going through a lot of the old dialogues that I have had, and I realize have learned a lot from this activity. I am trying to learn to debate without being too emotional. It is still quite difficult. I feel I represent a minority viewpoint. But I have to get off my a*** and actually do some more study soon and consolidate the things I have learned. Philosophy is actually a very hard discipline if it is done properly. I have only scratched the surface up til now.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:50 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I reckon it is OK, and I appreciate that attitude of all the folks here, and the people running it. Actually one thing I am enjoying are the Oz Politics threads.

The software isn't as polished as philforum, and that is an objective judgement, not a complaint. I haven't ever paid for any of this, so I don't understand the point of complaining about it. One either clicks on the address and turns up and interacts, or not.

I have been going through a lot of the old dialogues that I have had, and I realize have learned a lot from this activity. I am trying to learn to debate without being too emotional. It is still quite difficult. I feel I represent a minority viewpoint. But I have to get off my a*** and actually do some more study soon and consolidate the things I have learned. Philosophy is actually a very hard discipline if it is done properly. I have only scratched the surface up til now.

No forum is responsible for the people who are on it. It is unfortunate that many of those who knew what they were talking about, Emil, Prothero, and Zetherin and others have left. Ignorance is one thing, but obtuseness, and the unwillingness to learn, coupled with the inability to make sense, is another thing. And is discouraging. I am committed to trying to get people to think coherently, but I have to say that things have become worse with the departure of intelligent and people who know something about philosophy has been discouraging. It is the combined complacency and arrogance of people who think that just anything goes in philosophy which is the worst. People who discuss logic but know no logic (and this does not even seem to concern them) reflect the contempt people have nowadays for learning and knowledge, and their wholesale commitment to feelings and emotion. It is indeed, as Wittgenstein said, "we are in the darkness of these times".
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:54 am
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
So I will unsubscibe

Alan McDougall

Well goodbye then, Alan, & all the best to you.

I hope you find a forum more to your liking.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:19 am
@kennethamy,
eh, stop kvetching. I expect nothing, so everything is a bonus.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

No forum is responsible for the people who are on it. It is unfortunate that many of those who knew what they were talking about, Emil, Prothero, and Zetherin and others have left. Ignorance is one thing, but obtuseness, and the unwillingness to learn, coupled with the inability to make sense, is another thing. And is discouraging. I am committed to trying to get people to think coherently, but I have to say that things have become worse with the departure of intelligent and people who know something about philosophy has been discouraging. It is the combined complacency and arrogance of people who think that just anything goes in philosophy which is the worst. People who discuss logic but know no logic (and this does not even seem to concern them) reflect the contempt people have nowadays for learning and knowledge, and their wholesale commitment to feelings and emotion. It is indeed, as Wittgenstein said, "we are in the darkness of these times".

oooohhh get her...

Only kidding.... Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
This forum is useless

tell me about it, i tried to use it to chop an onion the other day, big mistake, total failure

now, as a place to exchange ideas or generally be a nuisance, it's excellent
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:39 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

This forum is useless

tell me about it, i tried to use it to chop an onion the other day, big mistake, total failure

now, as a place to exchange ideas or generally be a nuisance, it's excellent

I was very disappointed when I tried to use it as a make-up mirror yesterday. I looked awful. I blame Robert.

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:42 am
@dlowan,
It was a waste of time trying to mow the lawn with A2K.
Useless.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:43 am
@msolga,
It worked reasonably well as fertilizer.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:44 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

It was a waste of time trying to mow the lawn with A2K.
Useless.

Yes...and it won't separate the **** from the Kittie litter, dammit!
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:46 am
@dlowan,
Laughing

Well what the hell is it good for then?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:47 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Laughing

Well what the hell is it good for then?

Don't know. But, it is free!

Very Happy
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
I think that A2K is a marvelous spleen venter. So anyone with an overflowing spleen, "Come on Down"!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
@Intrepid,
Good point!

And it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
Any day!