This forum is useless

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:14 pm
@aidan,
that's why i can't ignore anyone, i tried once, but i kept reading the posts anyway
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:18 pm
@djjd62,
I've never tried to ignore anyone- it just seems like it defeats the purpose of discussion.

But since we're talking about this new system - why is it now that when I make a post to a thread and I go down to new posts, that thread seems to disappear somewhere while I'm still logged in, but when I log out, it pops back up to the top of the New Posts page?
It's very confusing. I'll think to myself, okay - did my post not go through or did I make a post to a different thread than I thought I made it to? And then I'll give up and log out and then I'll look again (because I don't proofread before - I proofread and edit after) and all of a sudden, there it is again.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:19 pm
why didn't A not2 K make the sun shine on the lake here today - in all the days, in all the year... darn forum, fer goodness sake, get a grip!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:19 pm
@aidan,
Click on the Able2know logo on the top left of the blue stripe at top of screen.

This is what people see when they first come to a2k, and it is the home page.
Look next to your name. You will see a selection of things to look at, including My Preferences.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You will see a selection of things to look at, including My Preferences.
change "Put unread topics above read topics" to NO
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:24 pm
@djjd62,
We all log out, even if we have checked Remember Us - Robert explained (or someone did) that is just an auto re log in system - which makes sense. Many people need logging in not to be automatic on their work computers.

My choice of No to collapsing unpopular threads and posts is a steady state system, has been for years.
Hawkeye is just on his soapbox.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks Osso and Region - I feel like I'm getting all sorted out now. I appreciate your help.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:26 pm
@aidan,
You're welcome!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:30 pm
@aidan,
i see that osso and RP answered your query

Cool
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:32 pm
@djjd62,
Yes they did. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yes, that was a problem that was fixed fast. I wasn't sure which I'd end up preferring. I kind of like the stretch of New posts on top, after all, so now if I want to find something I just posted in, I look at My Posts, where it will be first or close to the top.

The "flaw" is that if I only read it, and had changed (refreshed) pages, then it would be down under the New batch and not show up on my own latest posts. If that starts to bother me, I'll go over to the NO option re new posts being banded together at the top, thus keeping the posts in chronological order.

Really, it's all very adaptable for a lot of preferences - I think it's elegant.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Can U define "mind"?
mined, not yours
And is blowing it makimg you a free Philosopher ?
i am a free form philosopher, like an interpretive dancer
Are we objective Observers ?
i'm a subjective subverter
Is WWW ?
ummmmmm, no? (or yes?)
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:21 pm
@djjd62,
mind your own business is my motto

my business is to influenz yor mind

if you blow up, I cannot do thât

Razz 2 Cents
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:09 pm
@Specter,
A case in point.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:11 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
plus, there can be a philosophical side to vacuuming, is it ethical to kill dust bunnies?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:20 pm
@Specter,
Specter wrote:

haha, very good. if you can extrapolate some greater meaning to vacuum cleaners, go right ahead. Smile

Why do you assume there is NOT?

This is the thing that gets me about a few of you Phil Forum people...eg, in this case, you.

What on earth makes you assume (as you seem to) that, because people like to talk about the matters of daily life, and like to have fun and be silly, that they have less intellectual capacity and less ability to be serious?

Is it because you are still thinking that the purpose of THIS Forum is philosophy alone?

No matter how lofty and intellectual one may think one is, the vacuuming still has to be done, you still **** and make mess, hopefully you have friends and lovers, your bum still looks funny, hair still grows in places you wish it didn't, you still have to negotiate a world of other humans, other animals, your clothes still get dirty, you have to eat.....

This is the stuff of life....and it's interesting.

For myself, I get a whopping dose of the EV's (eternal verities) at work all day....I mostly want to have fun when I come here.

Philosophy is fun, too...I loved it when I studied it, but there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Specter.

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:22 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
your bum still looks funny

even in these pants? Crying or Very sad
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:22 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I'm sure if i posted everything i thought of, people would regard me as a nugget of darker complexion.

Just like everybody else, eh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Can't I be both condescending and sickly humorous?

That should be a thread!

I am tending to think there ought to be some sort of disconnect that prevents it, (because one would hope that sick humour is a double-edged weapon with which to detect and prick both others' and one's own pomposity) but I am tragically aware that I am well capable of both.

That's a real bummer, really.

Mopes tragically off, laughing at herself through the tears....

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
@djjd62,
especially in those pants...