45
   

This forum is useless

 
 
Specter
 
  5  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:21 am
@joefromchicago,
I can see this turning towards a foolish rivalry. there is no sense in arguing who has the better forum or speaks truer words. Of course I would argue that Philforum posters are better (because i was one) , and you would say that you are better looking lol. Ah whats the difference. a forum's a forum's a forum. And i think i'm coming around to this one.
xris
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Mac was my friend , he needed a certain understanding and we should be able to accept that not all can stand this harsh reality , we see expressed here on this forum... A certain cynical sick humour can not always be inviting..If he goes, I will loose a friend, something I will regret.
Robert Gentel
 
  3  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@xris,
You shouldn't lose a friend just because he decided a forum is useless.

As for "certain cynical sick humour" people have different tastes, some people find the posturing condescension from the humorless just as offputting. Such is life, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, and find that seeking out what I enjoy and eschewing what I don't is easier than complaining about what I don't most of the time.
GoshisDead
 
  2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:37 am
mmmmmmmmm Nuggets!
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  3  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:39 am
@Specter,
You know, Specter, I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

http://esl-bits.net/scripts/Casablanca/images/casablanca46.jpg
Specter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:52 am
@joefromchicago,
hahahaha alright now, Joe, enough internet creeping
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:04 pm
@Specter,
Quote:
Of course I would argue that Philforum posters are better (because i was one) , and you would say that you are better looking lol
Obviously had you preferred a place like a2k you would have joined such a place rather than PF. The question is can you come to enjoy a2k?

Quote:
a forum's a forum's a forum
Well, a restaurant is a restaurant is a restaurant if all you care about is filling the tank, most people however have desires and preferences beyond that.
GoshisDead
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You shouldn't lose a friend just because he decided a forum is useless.

As for "certain cynical sick humour" people have different tastes, some people find the posturing condescension from the humorless just as offputting. Such is life, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, and find that seeking out what I enjoy and eschewing what I don't is easier than complaining about what I don't most of the time.


Can't I be both condescending and sickly humorous?
hawkeye10
 
  -3  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
Can't I be both condescending and sickly humorous?
On a forum that attempts to sift and filter content by popularity (a2k), maybe not...
Razzleg
 
  8  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:29 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Specter wrote:
I loved the PhilForum because people couldn't just spit out nonsensical topics like "Vacuum Cleaners" that Joefromchicago seems perfectly content with posting.


don't philosophers use vacuums?

how do you clean your carpets?

i bet i use my vacuum about as much as i contemplate the meaning of life, once a week or so

plus, there can be a philosophical side to vacuuming, is it ethical to kill dust bunnies?

and another thing, how did i miss JfromC's vacuum thread, must go look that up


Vacuum cleaners?! Real philosophers have hardwood, laminate, or cement floors! We use a broom and a mop, just as Plato did before us. We would never expose ourselves to the decadence of wall-to-wall, besides the cynics tend to make a mess of them! Your argument, sir, is as empty as your vacuum! Exclamation point!
ossobuco
 
  2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
To overstate the obvious that has been mentioned to you many times, sifting by popularity is merely one option on a2k.

On condescending and sickly humorous, sure, those can work together..
hawkeye10
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
To overstate the obvious that has been mentioned to you many times, sifting by popularity is merely one option on a2k
one that the user must opt out of, it is the preset, it is a users first experience, and not everyone will opt out. The popularity thing is insidious, is alters our experience here, and how other experience us (or don't because they never see our posts) even when we are not fully conscious of it.

as I have mentioned many times....

Although Robert gets spin points for renaming popularity "the wisdom of the crowd"..
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
To overstate the obvious that has been mentioned to you many times, sifting by popularity is merely one option on a2kone that the user must opt out of, it is the preset, it is a users first experience, and not everyone will opt out.

What does this mean? I've never opted out of sifting by popularity that I know of, so are you saying that for me the forum is preset to sift through threads or posts by popularity? Popularity of what?


GoshisDead
 
  2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Can't I be both condescending and sickly humorous?
On a forum that attempts to sift and filter content by popularity (a2k), maybe not...



DANG YOU A2K! ARRRGGGG
mysteryman
 
  3  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:45 pm
@GoshisDead,
But you can be sickly condescending and mildly humorous.
That is allowed.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
@aidan,
Go to My Preferences, look at Topic preferences: you can have unpopular topics or posts collapse or not.

Further, on the New Posts page, you can choose Filter Noise or All Topics.
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you Osso.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:52 pm
@aidan,
de nada
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  4  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
osso wrote:
To overstate the obvious that has been mentioned to you many times, sifting by popularity is merely one option on a2k
one that the user must opt out of, it is the preset, it is a users first experience, and not everyone will opt out.

It's probably the preset because it's the most popular choice. That must really grind your gears.
0 Replies
 
Gargamel
 
  2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:13 pm
What if this stapler is actually God?
 

Related Topics

jani knig complaints - Question by janikingscam
Complaints and Complacency Thread - Question by failures art
A2K Forum Software Sux - Discussion by Chumly
Have a Complaint... - Discussion by Diest TKO
Spirit Airlines SUCKS - Discussion by SRF
 
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/29/2023 at 07:16:19