Swears, Insults, Off-Color Language, Stereotypes

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:18 pm
First, I am not certain what sort of language we can post here without finding ourselves out in the cold.

That said, I really am not a proponent of gutter talk. My daughter once said that I so seldom swear that when I do, it is effective.

I also recognize that many of our most reviled words originated in the blushing need not to say intercourse, penis, vagina and breast but that those words somehow became worse than the medical standards they replaced.

I have always thought the word jerk was inappropriate to use to describe a woman. Oh, a woman can be a jerk. Many women are jerks. However, jerk is as masculine a word as penis. A female jerk should be called one of those words that can not be printed in a family newspaper. A female jerk is the C word.

Now, why are women upset with that word. Men call each other nickname for Richard head and nickname for Richard wad and you Richard without as much tizzy as a woman might produce when she hears her own anatomy nicknamed.

What is even more curious is women who are upset by mothers nursing in public will use the word boob. While I do not find the C word offensive, I find boob insulting. They are breasts! To me, a woman who is affronted by breast-feeding who then uses the word boob is a hypocrite.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 11,476 • Replies: 172

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:20 pm
@plainoldme,
swear like a sailor, Rob don't care anymore.

i'll refrain for now, thanks...
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:29 pm
@Rockhead,
I think Robert does care and that he would be gratified if we used better words than that. But, he also knows we don't intend to.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:30 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I have always thought the word jerk was inappropriate to use to describe a woman. Oh, a woman can be a jerk. Many women are jerks. However, jerk is as masculine a word as penis. A female jerk should be called one of those words that can not be printed in a family newspaper. A female jerk is the C word.

Heh, I've never thought of the word "jerk," as in he's a jerk, to have a sexual context. I always thought it referred to someone who is insensitive, selfish, ignorant and does dumb things.

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Goody, goody gumdrop!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:36 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
That said, I really am not a proponent of gutter talk. My daughter once said that I so seldom swear that when I do, it is effective.

Our family was like that too. I was so naive about swearing when I was a kid that I remember in 6th or 7th grade being at a neighbor's house playing with Barbie dolls with a girl from school. Her older brother called me an asshole (the first time I'd ever heard the word). I was so upset I sobbed all the way home and asked BBB why he was so mean to me.
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
@plainoldme,
They are breasts and
schmeebs
bosoms
bust
mammaries
mammary glands
teats
assets
baps
bazookas
boobs
boobies
cans
funbags
hooters
jugs
knockers
melons
rack
tits
titties
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I sobbed all the way home

i hate it when people damn with faint praise

coz damn is swearing too
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:25 pm
@JTT,
You left out casabas.
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, it was included in the ",,,", Edgar. Smile

Thanks for the addition.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:03 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
... A female jerk is the C word.

Now, why are women upset with that word. Men call each other nickname for Richard head and nickname for Richard wad and you Richard without as much tizzy as a woman might produce when she hears her own anatomy nicknamed.

In my experience, that particular word has a connotation so demeaning, so low, base, disgusting and insulting, that it stands by itself as the feminine insult of insults.

plainoldme wrote:
What is even more curious is women who are upset by mothers nursing in public will use the word boob....

I've not seen many folks being upset by the word boob. The thing is, what upsets people - by nature - isn't rational. Its hard to draw comparisons between levels of inappropriateness since each has their own mental connotations of slang. Personally, I find it greatly disturbing that there are people who find public breast feeding offensive.. but that's another issue.

Thanks
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:56 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
swear like a sailor, Rob don't care anymore.

Just because I don't want to forcibly (it will, however, one day be an option) censor colorful language here doesn't mean I am opinionless about it.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

First, I am not certain what sort of language we can post here without finding ourselves out in the cold.

I also recognize that many of our most reviled words originated in the blushing need not to say intercourse, penis, vagina and breast but that those words somehow became worse than the medical standards they replaced.

What is even more curious is women who are upset by mothers nursing in public will use the word boob. While I do not find the C word offensive, I find boob insulting. They are breasts! To me, a woman who is affronted by breast-feeding who then uses the word boob is a hypocrite.

You know, I have often considered that swearing is rather lazy and illustrative of a lack of imagination and so I thought I might try not swearing for a while....

And then I thought, **** it, I quite like swearing....
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:06 am
@stevecook172001,
Certain swear words, applied like spice to an otherwise bland sentence, can turn the topic "Up a notch".
To totally censor our attempts can, for some of us, render us mute. I hated the old days at another site where they would substitute astersisks for the cussing. AT the old abuzz, the means to circumvent the language cops was quickly discovered and passed around to the membership.

I remember the "Sopranos" when they cleaned up the dialogue so it could be shown on A&E network. They would substitute "freakin A-hole" for "Fuckin ass-hole" This coming from Pauley Walnuts, just was too sad to even be amusing. It was really embarrassing for the producers of this original series.

I hope we dont become like the sanitized Sopranos.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:47 am
@stevecook172001,
Quote:
You know, I have often considered that swearing is rather lazy and illustrative of a lack of imagination and so I thought I might try not swearing for a while....

And then I thought, **** it, I quite like swearing....

Laughing

Yeah.
It sorta gives a simple, boring statement more oomph!
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:57 am
@msolga,
... however, the "c" word as an insult is another matter altogether. I can't even bring myself to say the word, I find it so offensive.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:17 am
@JTT,
It's a thing with me. I hate any other word but breast which could prove how personal the idea of a swear/unacceptable/etc word is.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:31 am
@Butrflynet,
I think I should relate the story about what made me think that the word jerk doesn't work for a woman.

I went to Wilson's Farm, Lexington, MA, perhaps in the fall of 1983 or spring of 1984. When I pulled into the parking lot, I was behind a car that pulled into a spot near the sale area on the right hand side. There was a car parked against the gate to the sale area (what I am calling the sale area consists of two buildings, one for food and the other for gardening supplies set in a campus that is used for the outdoor display of both food and plants) with its hazard lights on. I pulled into the vacant spot just slightly ahead of the now parking car to the left. In other words, slightly closer to the gate.

Now, I had assumed that the car parked at the gate . . . some 35 to 40 feet beyond the parking spot the car in front of me used . . . was waiting either for a large food order to be brought to her or for some sort of handicapped shopper. After all, the driver was NOT in a position to pull easily into the parking spot which the other driver claimed.

The driver at the gate got out of her car and angrily approached the driver of the car that "took" her intended place. She was very pregnant.

The woman at the gate came up to the pregnant woman, screaming, "Why did you take my spot? You saw I was waiting for it!"

The pregnant woman said, "I did not see you. I am sorry. But you are too far ahead of the spot to get into it."

The other driver screamed, "You jerk!"

At that point, I intervened, "I am sorry but I saw your car and there was nothing to indicate that you were about to back up that far into a spot. If you had been waiting for the spot, you should have positioned your car behind it. Besides, she is pregnant. You should have some courtesy for her."

She then called me a jerk. I told her women can not be labeled jerks and that she was making a fool of herself because no one could have read her mind. "Now, be an adult. Get in your car and circle around the lot again and find a parking place."

She steamed off and the pregnant woman thanked me.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
@Khethil,
You are absolutely right about there being little rational reasoning behind what disturbs people. Some of it is history. Perhaps, a word is associated with a person or event, but, some of it is predisposition.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@stevecook172001,
I chuckled and voted your post up!
0 Replies