Swears, Insults, Off-Color Language, Stereotypes

Lily

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:54 am
I swear quite a lot. Too much actually, I once had a deal with a friend that she could hit me when I cursed and I could hit her when she said a word particular word I found very annoying, well, she stopped hitting me after a day, 'cause she got tired of hittnig me all the time Wink . Anyway, I find it very intreseting how curses differs from country to country. In Sweden, were I live, we mostly swear with religious curses. Mostly about the devil and hell. Most people have their own favourite curse-verse, combining a couple of curses to doubble the effect Smile .
So, when I hit my toe on a chair leg, I say: "helvetes-jävla-piss-skit" or "fan-i-helvetes-jävla-piss", which means "hell's-goddamn-piss-****" and "the Devil-in-hell's-goddamn-piss". I don't know how bad these curses sound in English, but in Sweden, they're not so bad/offensive. It would be much worse to say the c-word. The most common curse in Sweden is probably "fan"(the Devil). The worst thing you can say is probably the c-word or whore, 'cause that's considered to be offensive to women, and that is something most swedes want to avoid.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:57 am
@Intrepid,
Now, we have the basis of a new and potentially exciting thread. A2Kers come from all over the world. I think that it would be fascinating to start a thread about how certain words are used differently in different places.

How 'bout it Intrepid? Are you game?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:02 am
@Phoenix32890,
"Game" here in Canada usually refers to wild animals that are shot by hunters. In that context, I do not consider myself "game". Otherwise, sure.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:08 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Oh, I am not familiar with the word ciggie. I thought you were referring to another word for the "C" word.
Shocked

I suppose if you wanted to complement a woman you might wish to use that word to indicate indcate that in the sexual region she was "smokin"...

.....I'll get my coat
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:10 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

"Game" here in Canada usually refers to wild animals that are shot by hunters. In that context, I do not consider myself "game". Otherwise, sure.

"game", in the UK, usually indicates one is up for a little bit of "hide the sausage"

Euphamisms, I love them even more than swearing.... Laughing
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:15 am
@stevecook172001,
Nudge Nudge

Man:
'Evening, squire!

Squire:
(stiffly)
Good evening.

Man:
Is, uh,... Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

Squire:
I, uh, I beg your pardon?

Man:
Your, uh, your wife, does she go, eh, does she go, eh?

Squire:
(flustered)
Well, she sometimes 'goes', yes.

Man:
Aaaaaaaah bet she does, I bet she does, say no more, say no more, know whatahmean, nudge nudge?

Squire:
(confused)
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you.

Man:
Follow me. Follow me. That's good, that's good!
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Squire:
Are you, uh,... are you selling something?

Man:
SELLING! Very good, very good! Ay? Ay? Ay?
(pause)
Oooh! Ya wicked Ay! Wicked Ay! Oooh hooh! Say No MORE!

Squire:
Well, I, uh....

Man:
Is, your uh, is your wife a sport, ay?

Squire:
Um, she likes sport, yes!

Man:
I bet she does, I bet she does!

Squire:
As a matter of fact she's very fond of cricket.

Man:
'Oo isn't? Likes games, eh?
Knew she would. Likes games, eh?
She's been around a bit, been around?

Squire:
She has traveled, yes. She's from Scarsdale.

(pause)

Man:
SAY NO MORE!!
Scarsdale, saynomore, saynomore, saynomore, squire!

Squire:
I wasn't going to!

Man:
Oh! Well, never mind. Dib dib?
Is your uh, is your wife interested in... photography, ay? 'Photographs, ay', he asked him knowlingly?

Squire:
Photography?

Man:
Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

Squire:
Holiday snaps, eh?

Man:
They could be, they could be taken on holiday.
Candid, you know, CANDID photography?

Squire:
No, no I'm afraid we don't have a camera.

Man:
Oh.
(leeringly)
Still, mooooooh, ay? Mwoohohohohoo, ay? Hohohohohoho, ay?

Squire:
Look... are you insinuating something?

Man:
Oh, no, no, no... yes.

Squire:
Well?

Man:
Well, you're a man of the world, squire.

Squire:
Yes...

Man:
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've 'done it'...

Squire:
What do you mean?

Man:
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...

Squire:
Yes...

Man:
What's it like?
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:20 am
@Intrepid,
See! I rest my case. Wink
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Nudge Nudge

Man:
'Evening, squire!

Squire:
(stiffly)
Good evening.

Man:
Is, uh,... Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

Squire:
I, uh, I beg your pardon?

Man:
Your, uh, your wife, does she go, eh, does she go, eh?

Squire:
(flustered)
Well, she sometimes 'goes', yes.

Man:
Aaaaaaaah bet she does, I bet she does, say no more, say no more, know whatahmean, nudge nudge?

Squire:
(confused)
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you.

Man:
Follow me. Follow me. That's good, that's good!
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Squire:
Are you, uh,... are you selling something?

Man:
SELLING! Very good, very good! Ay? Ay? Ay?
(pause)
Oooh! Ya wicked Ay! Wicked Ay! Oooh hooh! Say No MORE!

Squire:
Well, I, uh....

Man:
Is, your uh, is your wife a sport, ay?

Squire:
Um, she likes sport, yes!

Man:
I bet she does, I bet she does!

Squire:
As a matter of fact she's very fond of cricket.

Man:
'Oo isn't? Likes games, eh?
Knew she would. Likes games, eh?
She's been around a bit, been around?

Squire:
She has traveled, yes. She's from Scarsdale.

(pause)

Man:
SAY NO MORE!!
Scarsdale, saynomore, saynomore, saynomore, squire!

Squire:
I wasn't going to!

Man:
Oh! Well, never mind. Dib dib?
Is your uh, is your wife interested in... photography, ay? 'Photographs, ay', he asked him knowlingly?

Squire:
Photography?

Man:
Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

Squire:
Holiday snaps, eh?

Man:
They could be, they could be taken on holiday.
Candid, you know, CANDID photography?

Squire:
No, no I'm afraid we don't have a camera.

Man:
Oh.
(leeringly)
Still, mooooooh, ay? Mwoohohohohoo, ay? Hohohohohoho, ay?

Squire:
Look... are you insinuating something?

Man:
Oh, no, no, no... yes.

Squire:
Well?

Man:
Well, you're a man of the world, squire.

Squire:
Yes...

Man:
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've 'done it'...

Squire:
What do you mean?

Man:
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...

Squire:
Yes...

Man:
What's it like?

Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:30 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I think effectiveness is key. I don't usually use swear words either, but when I do, I make them count.

I think this is absolutely the case. Swear words are intended to shock and if you use them indiscriminately, they lose that power. When I was in the Navy, I virtually never sweared, even though there was a lot of it. One day I needed to make a point to a sailor whose performance was significantly below par. I pulled out the language (still restrained by Navy standards) and the shock value was excellent. I heard from other sources that is was clear that Mr. Engineer was pissed! I got great results from that counseling session and the performance issue went away without resorting to more punitive measures. My children have never heard me use even the mildest of curse word until one day when my teenager was behaving in a particularly poor manner and I told him very calmly that he was acting like an ass. You could have heard a pin drop and his facial expression was priceless.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:30 am
@Lily,
Hi Lily, welcome to A2K. I'm envious of you living in Sweden. My family spent several weeks on tour there when I was a kid and I loved it.

I remember going to one of the Saab factories there and taking hair-raising rides around the circuit with the test drivers who were rather sadistic with their exaggerated driving skills. We heard quite a few choice swear words from a lot of people that day as the new cars were put through their stress tests!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:50 am

Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy cork-soakers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
I remember when Harry Truman was president. The radio station that carried his speeches frequently cut it off in mid speech, due to coarse language.
George

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 01:32 pm
I spent some years of my life in a seminary and, as you can imagine, foul
language was frowned upon. But we were only human and the occasional
gem was bound to slip out from time to time. I guess the slippage had
been a little more than our Father Director was willing to tolerate and
one evening in chapel he lectured us on proper language. "You know,
Brothers, it pains me to say that I have heard the 'S' word quite a bit
around here lately. I have even heard the 'D' word!". Sitting next to me
was my friend Joe, an always hilarious Italian guy from the Bronx. "Hey,
George," he whispered out of the side of his mouth, "what the ****'s the
'D' word?"

I nearly choked to death

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 01:42 pm
@George,
the convent needed some repairs and a group of workmen had over taken the grounds, one day the mother superior confronted the foreman, "i'd like to ask that your workmen restrain the language they use as the perform their duties", the foreman replied, "now mother superior, they're workmen, they're simply calling a spade a spade", the mother superior shot back, "were that true, but mostly they're calling it a ******* shovel"
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

the convent needed some repairs and a group of workmen had over taken the grounds, one day the mother superior confronted the foreman, "i'd like to ask that your workmen restrain the language they use as the perform their duties", the foreman replied, "now mother superior, they're workmen, they're simply calling a spade a spade", the mother superior shot back, "were that true, but mostly they're calling it a ******* shovel"

During the building repairs the mother superior, whilst taking a bath, heard a knock at the bathroom door. "Who is it? I'm the mother superior and I'm naked", she said. "It's okay, it's the blind man" came the reply. "In that case you may come in", said the mother superior. "Nice tits sister, where do you want the blinds?", said the workman....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Sounds like a great idea. I bet no one says socks when swearing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I once read something to the effect that Harry Truman made a speech about agriculture and said, "What we need is manure!"

A woman friend of Bess' leaned over to her and said, "Can't you get him to say fertilizer?" Bess answered, "You have no idea how long it took me to get him to say manure."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:13 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

First, I am not certain what sort of language we can post here without finding ourselves out in the cold.

That said, I really am not a proponent of gutter talk. My daughter once said that I so seldom swear that when I do,
it is effective.

I also recognize that many of our most reviled words originated in the blushing need not to say intercourse, penis,
vagina and breast but that those words somehow became worse than the medical standards they replaced.

I have always thought the word jerk was inappropriate to use to describe a woman. Oh, a woman can be a jerk.

Many women are jerks.
jerkettes ?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:24 pm
jerkers
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Jerkettes sounds like a female quartet from the Big Band Era. Perhaps, they dressed like bell hops (another relic of the past) and tried to outsing the Andrews' Sister.