Swears, Insults, Off-Color Language, Stereotypes

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:05 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I have to confess that there is a man who I think deserves the C word. Puts me in a tight spot!
The slang is not well reasoned; if language is incomprehensible, then it is futile; might as well keep quiet, for all the good it does.

Its better to express the objections directly and comprehensively; with lucidity.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:10 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
there are far too many American accents to use phonetic English.

But we all pronounce the last letter of the alphabet as 'ZEE' to the point if you ever come to America and you drive down the highway you're sure to see businesses named - EZ WAX or EZ KLEAN or EZ MART- etc. etc.
Drive down Route 18 in Central New Jersey someday.
Not that I'm saying it's rite - but it is tru (and I don't think rong) that at least 300,000,000 people pronounce the last letter of the alphabet 'ZEE'.

Not to be disagreeable Plainoldme, but my memories of those tippy toys is that you couldn't get them to lay down - you know like 'Weebles wobble but they don't fall down'? You could push them em over again and again - and push them hard - giving them more than a nudege - but they never hit the floor - they just kept popping back up.
aidan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@plainoldme,
Some people I know use the word 'bitch' as an expression of affection of respect as in 'she's my bitch' and they mean, 'She's important to me - as a friend, as a girlfriend' etc.
I guess I could say that about my dog - 'She's my bitch' - because she is and I love her - but I don't think I will - I'll stick to 'She's my companion' for now.

Quote:
I go out of my way to be politically rong; I fight against political correctness.

This reminds me of something that happened the other day. I have a class in which half the guys are black and half are white. Me being American, just naturally called the black guys 'black' when I had to describe their race for some reason, but then I thought, 'I better ask what they prefer as they're British and over here a lot of people still say 'colo(u)red'.

So I said, 'Just let me clarify so that I don't cause any offense. How would you prefer to have your racial identity described? Do you prefer the term 'black' or 'coloured' (although I knew I would have a hard time bringing myself to call anyone 'coloured' knowing that would be highly offensive to a black person in America).
They all said they would prefer to be described as 'black'.

This one white guy said, 'This bloody PC **** - Miss two years ago - they'd have all been called 'coloured' and now they want 'black'....I aint callin' no one black - people aren't black - I've never seen a black man in my life.'

And then Mark - one of these really relaxed, deep-voiced, slow talking layed back Jamaicans said, ' Well then mate - I guess I should call you 'pink' because you're not white. Next time I make reference to you to someone who doesn't know your name I'll say - 'Oh yeah - that's the Paddy - you know- the pink bloke.'

We all died laughing - 'the pink bloke'- now everytime I hear the word 'bloke' I laugh.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:21 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Some people I know use the word 'bitch' as an expression of affection of respect as in 'she's my bitch' and they mean,
'She's important to me - as a friend, as a girlfriend' etc.
I guess I could say that about my dog -
'She's my bitch' - because she is and I love her - but I don't think I will - I'll stick to 'She's my companion' for now.
We will do well to endeavor to elevate ourselves,
elevate our mentalities, above that stratum of society.

Rebecca, u will do us a good, helpful n valuable service IF u point out
that this language issues from the most toxic, poisonous stratum of society.

This language n the mentality that it represents, we shud seek to AVOID, to shun, not to embrace.
Let 's keep our eyes on the prize, on our intended destination: UP, not down, BETTER, not worse, HIGHER, not lower.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:27 am
@aidan,
Yes, my ex used the words, "tippy toys," back in 1976 when we first married. I googled tippy toys and all I found was the name of a toy company. Weebles are an example of what my ex meant. I think the confusion these references caused for David shows how clumsy those phrases are.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:30 am
@aidan,
There has been a great deal of ink spilled explaining how blacks (I think especially the men as women tend away from the word) will use the N word with each other, just as gays will use fag and women will use the once reviled girl or, now, bitch, as a sign of group solidarity.

Your Jamaican student is both witty and correct. I bet he's fun.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:38 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
There has been a great deal of ink spilled explaining how blacks
(I think especially the men as women tend away from the word)
will use the N word with each other, just as gays will use fag and
women will use the once reviled girl or, now, bitch, as a sign of group solidarity.

Your Jamaican student is both witty and correct. I bet he's fun.
Some years ago, I was in an elevator in Harlem,
onto which boarded a group of about 6 male blacks,
apparently in their early 20s.
Thay appeared to know each other.

One of them was highly enraged at the abuses of an absent one,
of whose race, no mistake was allowed.
Within a period of about 2 minutes,
he made specific reference to that race quite a few times,
in his complaints to the others. Thay were all about equally black.
The loud one kept raising his voice to emphasize the word,
when saying "that damn NIGGER!!!!" to the others, who remained silent.

He kind of growled, when he said: "NIGGER!"

David
plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You, of course, had no idea of the context. These six guys were strangers to you when they boarded the elevator and remained strangers when you all went your separate ways. You have little to no idea why they were angry. You certainly do not know the history of these people.

Finally, the fact that a group of people encountered once decried "an absent one" does not take away from the fact that as I write this, people are calling each other the nigger, fag, girl, bitch and more in the spirit of solidarity, love and respect.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:49 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You, of course, had no idea of the context.
My idea of the context was that the loud one deemed himself
to have suffered at the hands of that "damn NIGGER!!!!"

plainoldme wrote:
These six guys were strangers to you when they boarded the elevator
and remained strangers when you all went your separate ways.
You have little to no idea why they were angry.
You certainly do not know the history of these people.
The history appeared to be that one of them deemed himself a victim, yearning for vengeance.

plainoldme wrote:
Finally, the fact that a group of people encountered once decried "an absent one"
does not take away from the fact that as I write this, people are calling each other
the nigger, fag, girl, bitch and more in the spirit of solidarity, love and respect.
It was not my intention to disprove u.

David
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:22 am
Love U (except KennethAmy)
plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:42 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
So, are you a fan of the band Rapalje?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You, of course, had no idea of the context. These six guys were strangers to you when they boarded the elevator and remained strangers when you all went your separate ways. You have little to no idea why they were angry. You certainly do not know the history of these people.

Finally, the fact that a group of people encountered once decried "an absent one" does not take away from the fact that as
I write this, people are calling each other the nigger, fag, girl, bitch and more in the spirit of solidarity, love and respect.
There r very different psychodynamics for whites.
If a white resents abuse from another white,
u never hear him say: "that damn WHITE !!!"

David
plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But, a white person . . . and, perhaps, not a white person of 18 or even 25 . . . might say something along the lines of that Jew or even Kike; Wetback; Mick; Polack; Wop, etc.

White people have a very different history. White people were not mined for their labor and were not separated forcibly from their homelands, at least not in recent times.

Historically, white people have always looked down on each other's languages and customs. Think of the Greeks and Romans calling everyone else barbarians. The Romans hated the Celts and said a conversation with them was impossible because they were so full of tricks, verbal slides and puns. I have a feeling that story about Pope Gregory the Great, seeing Angle (or Anglil) children for sale as slaves in the market place said that they looked like Angels, might have something to do with a subtle call to ease the slave trading of those blonde children, or, it might have been Gregory's way of introducing his mission to England.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
But, a white person . . . and, perhaps, not a white person of 18 or even 25 . . . might say something
along the lines of that Jew or even Kike; Wetback; Mick; Polack; Wop, etc.
A wetback is a Mexican illegal alien; the reference
was wet from swimming across the Rio Grande = "Big River"
= the Mexican border.

I 'm not entirely clear as to whether Jews consider themselves
to be white; I had assumed that thay were, without actively considering it,
until I saw an episode of Northern Exposure (I loved to look at Janine Turner)
wherein the co-star, an M.D., played by Rob Morrow,
declares that he is "not white; I am Jewish." I was taken aback by that.
I had a Jewish girlfriend, Marilyn; I shoud have asked her.

UNlike what I heard in that elevator, from that black,
something that I have NEVER heard and I am 100% confident that I will never hear,
is any Jew complaining of: "that damn Jew"; that will not happen.
The point that I am making is that the elevator incident
was UNIQUE to the blacks.

I suspect that Mick came from Mc a common beginning of Irish names.
The word Pollack was only identity, not denunciatory.

WOP meant "without passport" that was stamped on papers at Ellis Island,
of poor Italians who were devoid of passports. The Italian who
lived next door to me complained of being harassed with that, as a kid.

plainoldme wrote:
White people have a very different history.
White people were not mined for their labor and were not separated
forcibly from their homelands, at least not in recent times.
Do u opine that this had a bearing upon my recounted elevator incident ?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know why you have chosen to give an historical analysis of the different ethnic slurs that I quoted here, but white people do use ethnic slurs in anger and also in brotherly affection. Italian men call each wop and pisono (sp?), even Mafiosa. In fact, when an Italian man dresses up, his friends might tell him he looks like a Mafiosa rather than he looks sharp or dapper.

What I am saying is that, for good or bad, ethnic names are the equivalent of nigger for white people.

And, as white people have not been enslaved by black people, and were seldom deprived of their homelands in recent times, the attitude toward such naming by white people is different.

Understand? White people might make ethnic or class distinctions but not racial ones. Consider that working class people will decry frat boys or sorority girls while professionals will look down their noses at the blue collar.

BTW, I have heard Jewish men take out other Jewish men verbally for being too much of a Jew. Ditto Jewish women.

Friends who have been to Israel reported that there is hostility between Asian Jews and European Jews.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:41 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I don't know why you have chosen to give an historical analysis
of the different ethnic slurs that I quoted here,
Because that is what your thread is ALL ABOUT,
unless I misunderstood. If not that, then what ??

plainoldme wrote:
but white people do use ethnic slurs in anger and also in brotherly affection.
Italian men call each wop and pisono (sp?),
I think that means fellow countryman.

plainoldme wrote:
even Mafiosa. In fact, when an Italian man dresses up, his friends might tell him
he looks like a Mafiosa rather than he looks sharp or dapper.
I think thay mean wealthy.

plainoldme wrote:
What I am saying is that, for good or bad,
ethnic names are the equivalent of nigger for white people.
The way it was half shouted n half growled in that elevator ?

plainoldme wrote:
And, as white people have not been enslaved by black people,
and were seldom deprived of their homelands in recent times,
the attitude toward such naming by white people is different.

Understand? White people might make ethnic or class distinctions
but not racial ones. Consider that working class people will decry
frat boys or sorority girls while professionals will look down their
noses at the blue collar.
Yeah, but your topic is not about that.

plainoldme wrote:
BTW, I have heard Jewish men take out other Jewish men verbally
for being too much of a Jew. Ditto Jewish women.
That surprizes me; what did thay say ?

David
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:12 pm
TYP OZZ
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:17 pm
I'll guess I'll go ahead and post that I thought David's very bold and large use of the word nigger, repeatedly, was obnoxious beyond the call of his text. In your face sort of stuff.

I resent it in a personal way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I'll guess I'll go ahead and post that I thought David's very bold and large use of the word nigger, repeatedly, was obnoxious
beyond the call of his text. In your face sort of stuff.

I resent it in a personal way.
That 's what HAPPENED. I shoud not misrepresent it
( as I 'd not wanna be misrepresented ) and I did not.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:28 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:
TYP OZZ
typografical errors? Where?
0 Replies